Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 1
Default Riding With BMW's Boss in Morocco


Original Article:
Riding With BMW's Boss in Morocco

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Riding With BMW's Boss in Morocco in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Wow, this is a really good article. Not that I have anything against reviews and comparos, but it's a nice change to get an article with insights into an industry leader.

Do more like this.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

I second that
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
pushrod
Founding Member
 
pushrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Baja 'Bama
Posts: 3,643
Default

Good stuff!
__________________
You would not understand,
this is not how I am...

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
anrajala
Founding Member
 
anrajala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,490
Default

Very interesting. Listen what this guy Von Kuenheim says: “Obviously we need to defend this segment. We will constantly, constantly, constantly update our bike because it is our bread and butter motorcycle. We created the segment and we will defend this.”

Way to go man!. Fighting words. Breath of fresh air after reading all that gormless drivel about brand value and merchandising by another well known motorcycle manufacturer. Frankly, they ought to hire this guy.

Interesting to hear BMW will enter the cruiser scene. I find it very hard to believe they'd come up with another run-of-the-mill 64 rwhp tub of lard. Anyone wanna bet? If I was them I would build a light weight V8 with serious kick-ass. Its BMW's specialty. And sorely missed in the cruiser market.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Wow, this is a really good article. Not that I have anything against reviews and comparos, but it's a nice change to get an article with insights into an industry leader.

Do more like this.
We're listening.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrajala View Post
Way to go man!. Fighting words. Breath of fresh air after reading all that gormless drivel about brand value and merchandising by another well known motorcycle manufacturer. Frankly, they ought to hire this guy.

Interesting to hear BMW will enter the cruiser scene. I find it very hard to believe they'd come up with another run-of-the-mill 64 rwhp tub of lard. - cruiz-euro
You seem to have missed the more significant contrast between BMW and Harley. In the article, Von K mentioned that they took a risk of alienating their "core" demographic by introducing new market segment bikes, that "old-line' BMWphiles would say "this is not my BMW anymore." But they did it anyway, and with far greater depth than HD's 1/2-assed try with the VRod (let alone Buell). If Harley had shown the vision BMW did at the same juncture, they might be a completely different company today.

As for the cruiser, Google the new 6-cylinder BMW bike engine. It's developed and ready to install today. I doubt they'd consider a V-8.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
You seem to have missed the more significant contrast between BMW and Harley. In the article, Von K mentioned that they took a risk of alienating their "core" demographic by introducing new market segment bikes, that "old-line' BMWphiles would say "this is not my BMW anymore." But they did it anyway, and with far greater depth than HD's 1/2-assed try with the VRod (let alone Buell). If Harley had shown the vision BMW did at the same juncture, they might be a completely different company today.

As for the cruiser, Google the new 6-cylinder BMW bike engine. It's developed and ready to install today. I doubt they'd consider a V-8.
Good points, KM.

Here's a BMW 6 link: BMW Concept 6 [video] | Motorcycle Blog: The Sidecar
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Nice, I'd only seen still shots till now. What a stunningly beautiful machine that is.

Didn't see it ridden, though. I thought the engine was complete and running.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Nice, I'd only seen still shots till now. What a stunningly beautiful machine that is.

Didn't see it ridden, though. I thought the engine was complete and running.
Stay tuned for an upcoming feature on it.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off