Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Riding With BMW's Boss in Morocco (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15653-riding-bmws-boss-morocco.html)

Administrator 06-28-2010 02:21 PM

Riding With BMW's Boss in Morocco

Original Article:
Riding With BMW's Boss in Morocco

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Riding With BMW's Boss in Morocco in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 06-29-2010 01:58 PM

Wow, this is a really good article. Not that I have anything against reviews and comparos, but it's a nice change to get an article with insights into an industry leader.

Do more like this.

12er 06-29-2010 02:35 PM

I second that

pushrod 06-30-2010 07:04 AM

Good stuff!

anrajala 06-30-2010 07:16 AM

Very interesting. Listen what this guy Von Kuenheim says: “Obviously we need to defend this segment. We will constantly, constantly, constantly update our bike because it is our bread and butter motorcycle. We created the segment and we will defend this.”

Way to go man!. Fighting words. Breath of fresh air after reading all that gormless drivel about brand value and merchandising by another well known motorcycle manufacturer. Frankly, they ought to hire this guy.

Interesting to hear BMW will enter the cruiser scene. I find it very hard to believe they'd come up with another run-of-the-mill 64 rwhp tub of lard. Anyone wanna bet? If I was them I would build a light weight V8 with serious kick-ass. Its BMW's specialty. And sorely missed in the cruiser market.

- cruiz-euro

Kevin_Duke 06-30-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 244640)
Wow, this is a really good article. Not that I have anything against reviews and comparos, but it's a nice change to get an article with insights into an industry leader.

Do more like this.

We're listening.

Kenneth_Moore 06-30-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anrajala (Post 244671)
Way to go man!. Fighting words. Breath of fresh air after reading all that gormless drivel about brand value and merchandising by another well known motorcycle manufacturer. Frankly, they ought to hire this guy.

Interesting to hear BMW will enter the cruiser scene. I find it very hard to believe they'd come up with another run-of-the-mill 64 rwhp tub of lard. - cruiz-euro

You seem to have missed the more significant contrast between BMW and Harley. In the article, Von K mentioned that they took a risk of alienating their "core" demographic by introducing new market segment bikes, that "old-line' BMWphiles would say "this is not my BMW anymore." But they did it anyway, and with far greater depth than HD's 1/2-assed try with the VRod (let alone Buell). If Harley had shown the vision BMW did at the same juncture, they might be a completely different company today.

As for the cruiser, Google the new 6-cylinder BMW bike engine. It's developed and ready to install today. I doubt they'd consider a V-8.

Kevin_Duke 07-01-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 244696)
You seem to have missed the more significant contrast between BMW and Harley. In the article, Von K mentioned that they took a risk of alienating their "core" demographic by introducing new market segment bikes, that "old-line' BMWphiles would say "this is not my BMW anymore." But they did it anyway, and with far greater depth than HD's 1/2-assed try with the VRod (let alone Buell). If Harley had shown the vision BMW did at the same juncture, they might be a completely different company today.

As for the cruiser, Google the new 6-cylinder BMW bike engine. It's developed and ready to install today. I doubt they'd consider a V-8.

Good points, KM.

Here's a BMW 6 link: BMW Concept 6 [video] | Motorcycle Blog: The Sidecar

Kenneth_Moore 07-01-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 244752)

Nice, I'd only seen still shots till now. What a stunningly beautiful machine that is.

Didn't see it ridden, though. I thought the engine was complete and running.

Kevin_Duke 07-01-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 244760)
Nice, I'd only seen still shots till now. What a stunningly beautiful machine that is.

Didn't see it ridden, though. I thought the engine was complete and running.

Stay tuned for an upcoming feature on it. 8-)