Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Suzuki RMX450Z Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15622-2010-suzuki-rmx450z-review.html)

Administrator 06-24-2010 01:01 PM

2010 Suzuki RMX450Z Review

Original Article:
2010 Suzuki RMX450Z Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Suzuki RMX450Z Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

desertbilly 06-25-2010 10:13 AM

I wish the Big 4 would start dual-sporting these high-zoot 450 thumpers.

Kenneth_Moore 06-25-2010 10:30 AM

Is it safe to ride a motorcycle off the pavement? It seems like the lack of traction would dangerously inhibit braking and steering.

seruzawa 06-25-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertbilly (Post 244405)
I wish the Big 4 would start dual-sporting these high-zoot 450 thumpers.

Not likely since they only have 30-40 hour lifetimes between rebuilds.

MOKE1K 06-25-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 244406)
Is it safe to ride a motorcycle off the pavement? It seems like the lack of traction would dangerously inhibit braking and steering.

Nothing a sticky set of dual sport tires couldn't handle.

Kevin_Duke 06-25-2010 01:41 PM

Just getting off the couch is dangerous!

The_AirHawk 06-25-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 244410)
Just getting off the couch is dangerous!

Well, in that case - since you're already up; why don't you go get me another Beer..........

seruzawa 06-25-2010 06:11 PM

Looks like you hooked a couple Ken. Good job.

pplassm 06-25-2010 08:03 PM

Ratings are all over the place for this bike. Many like it, and many hate it. It all depends where you ride.

Apparently, Suzuki targeted the bike for West Coast riders, and the suspension is too stiff and harsh for Eastern conditions. But then, I am only parroting what I've read in other tests.

It really doesn't matter, though, any shootout has the KTM trouncing all the Japanese offerings. Plus, the Austrians make a street legal version. And a 530 overbored version.

Go to an off-road race at the amateur level, and the starting line is a sea of orange.

Duken4evr 06-26-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Go to an off-road race at the amateur level, and the starting line is a sea of orange.
But the discerning non mob following smart guys with good taste are riding Huskys :D KTM has become the Harley Davidson of the off road world IMO. Everybody has them because everybody has them and some I have met tend to have an attitude about it if you are not on one. KTMs are good bikes though, just not as tough to break as the Huskys are in my anecdotal opinion. Also, the lack of FI on the KTMs just plain sucks if you live in Colorado and your rides can take you from 8,000 to 12,000 feet.

I spent some time on a friend's late model FI equipped Husky 450XC and was very impressed. Lots of usable effective but not tiring power. Not as zappy power wise as WR450s I have ridden, but to this Vet class long time off roader, the Husky is a far better overall package than the WR. Slimmer, lighter, usable, better.

The RMX is an interesting bike. If it really does light off easy with the kicker, I would pull the e-start and battery, put a bigger tank on it, have the rear shock dialed in and add my long suffering Scott's Steering stabilizer to it and rock on. Standard off road bike stuff.

Even at 272 pounds, the RM would feel like a ballerina compared to my long suffering DRZ400, affectionately known as the BYP (big yellow pig). Good thing I also have a trail ready '01 CR250. Ridden properly and in the right environment (gnarly downhills especially), the old school 2 stroke can run ring ding rings around any 4 stroke I have ridden. :) Some of the enduro guys are going back to 2 strokes. Interesting...