Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Shoei RF1100 Helmet Review

Original Article:
Shoei RF1100 Helmet Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Shoei RF1100 Helmet Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Pete, though you don't say ( or I didn't note) what the 'advertised' shell shape is, the mention of your forehead hotspot makes me think that the Shoei is a Round shape, and you have either an Intermediate Oval or Long Oval noggin.

I have a definite Long Oval (and grossly misshapen and large, but I digress) melon, so I have an Arai Signet bucket.

Otherwise, a nice write-up! Thanks!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Pete_Brissette
My member is not Junior!

Default Maybe a misunderstanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Pete, though you don't say ( or I didn't note) what the 'advertised' shell shape is, the mention of your forehead hotspot makes me think that the Shoei is a Round shape, and you have either an Intermediate Oval or Long Oval noggin.

I have a definite Long Oval (and grossly misshapen and large, but I digress) melon, so I have an Arai Signet bucket.

Otherwise, a nice write-up! Thanks!
First and foremost, thanks.

But if I understand your commentary, I think you might have misunderstood my remarks about the dreaded hotspot.

I likely do have an oval shape of one type or the other, but the RF series doesn't give my forehead the grief like other brands I've tried. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the review?

"...a lot of lids I’ve worn and sampled often leave me with an annoying hotspot on the upper part of my forehead. The RF was one of the first helmets to break the cruel cycle."

Also, Shoei, unlike Arai, doesn't stress a variety of shell shapes, rather that it now offers five shell sizes (largely a response to the 2010 Snell standard) to better fit more people. Shell or EPS liner shape isn't so much a part of Shoei's branding and feature set.

Arai on the other hand highlights "interior shape" as a key feature of its helmet line.

Ciao!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Rforre
Founding Member

I recently upgraded from an RF800 to RF1100, and the new helmet is a dream. The outer shell seems larger, and it's not really quieter, but the decrease in buffeting is amazing, it feels like I have a larger fairing. Must be the aerodynamic design, but it just slips through the wind. Especially for riders without a large windscreens, I think this is an excellent choice.
Rforre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Overload
Founding Member

Pinlock is not a Shoei technology. I have it on my Arai helmet. Works great at preventing fogging, but does create some light blurring at night.
Overload is offline   Reply With Quote