Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Triumph Rocket III Roadster vs. 2010 Star VMax (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15557-2010-triumph-rocket-iii-roadster-vs-2010-star-vmax.html)

Administrator 06-16-2010 02:12 PM

2010 Triumph Rocket III Roadster vs. 2010 Star VMax

Original Article:
2010 Triumph Rocket III Roadster vs. 2010 Star VMax

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Triumph Rocket III Roadster vs. 2010 Star VMax in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

dingerjunkie 06-16-2010 03:23 PM

This article didn't get the one thing it truly needed...comparative quarter-mile times, or the recreation of Mr. Max's original feat...beating the 427 Cobra's zero-to-hundred-to-zero numbers (distance and time). How much of these bikes is attitude, and how much can they really get down in the role they're trying to portray?

Also, the original Max truly scared me in use...it always felt almost out of control, which is why it "felt fast." Please tell me the new, more planted version still makes the unwary know the fear of God.

Buzglyd 06-16-2010 03:53 PM

I really would love to ride the Rocket. I did the Bruiser Cruiser or Godzilla Cruiser or whatever the heck we called it shootout a few years ago.

The big torque bikes like the Kawi V2000 and the Star thingy were fun to ride at low speeds. When that monster torque comes on it's a hoot and you can get a smile on your face at less than 60 mph.

I might need to build a bigger garage for that damn Triumph though.

acecycleins 06-16-2010 04:00 PM

When the 1st gen RIII came out I was amazed at how well it handled for its size. I grew up on a steady diet of Yamaha's as a kid and owned a few early 90s VMax(s). That said, I would pick the Triumph. Love the Max look and the posted stats, but in the end the Triumph would suit me better.

Dr_Sprocket 06-16-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 243947)
When the 1st gen RIII came out I was amazed at how well it handled for its size. I grew up on a steady diet of Yamaha's as a kid and owned a few early 90s VMax(s). That said, I would pick the Triumph. Love the Max look and the posted stats, but in the end the Triumph would suit me better.

Yeah, and think of all the things you could do with that extra 5Gs in your pocket!

Dr_Sprocket 06-16-2010 07:33 PM

When I was a kid, there was only one... the V-Max. All others are merely following in the footsteps.

To my eye, it's had to beat the V-max, stylistically, but the price-point... ouch!

sarnali2 06-17-2010 08:55 AM

The Vmax looks anime` cool but I'd be afraid it would turn into a Decepticon when I wasn't looking. I rode a Rocket 3 when they first came out and was pretty impressed with it then and "new and improved" can only be better.

I had a V65 Sabre back in the old days when the V Max was still king o' the hill, it had that same Chevy small block sound & grunt but it handled a lot better. It would have been interesting to see how that line would have evolved but Honda dropped it and concentrated on the Magna and Interceptor instead..... To bad because the VMax and Sabre were a whole new class of bikes, Kawasaki even came up with the Eliminator to try and keep up.

12er 06-17-2010 09:03 AM

I tried the V-Max on for size this year at Miller, back on the rack it went... The rocket or an old valk are the only two cruisers I can fit on comfortably.

pushrod 06-17-2010 09:25 AM

A buddy had the old VMax. He said it was a lot like the old 'pony cars'...

Deadly in a straight line and lethal in a corner. In other words, it ran like a bat outta hell, but with the flexy-flyer frame, it did not want to change direction.

The new ones are apparently better in that regard.

But, $20K!?

seruzawa 06-17-2010 09:48 AM

Looks like the R3 would be a more practical ride. 800 lbs seems to fit in nicely with the way motorcycles are going the past 20 years. The huge savings over the VMax would buy a lot of luggage and gasoline.

The VMax will probably attract the sort of people who kept the old one alive for so many years. Even though the new VMax has better handling I'm not sure the people who like VMaxs will really care all that much. Handling couldn't have gotten any worse.

I have to chuckle about the 146mph speed limiter. I seriously doubt that Yamaha using the excuse that "we promote safe riding by limiting top speed to 146mph" will carry much weight in civil court. At about 700 lbs it already carries enough weight.

Get it? "Carrying weight?" Ba-da-bing.