Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
cenkaetaya
Registered Member

Default have question about choosing a sport / touring bike

Hi, i was interested in purchasing a motorcycle, i am a just post college student and am not looking to spend more then 3000 really.

i especially like the bikes such as the BMW K series, I most importantly want a bike that shakes very little. I hate when things shake cuz then my hands do that for hours on end and ...

so what are some bikes you guys could recommend for a beginner that would be within 3000 that would be similar to the bmw, where you sit up straight, yet looking somewhat like a sport bike.

thanks
cenkaetaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
ejis
Founding Member

First of all - welcome!

When you say "beginner", do you have a license? Have you ridden before? For how long / how many miles?

There's a new rider "sticky", and some recent "what bike should I get" threads as well. I suggest checking those out.
ejis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Pacific Coast Honda, great lil touring bike, they should have not stopped making them. Hard to find though.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

I'd like to tell you differently, but with $3k to spend, you aren't getting a BMW. Maybe an old, ragged out 650...

With that budget your best choice for a sport touring is a 90's Kawaski Concours. They're bullet-proof, fast enough to be fun, and you can ride them all day. But, they are heavy and are not for a beginner.

2000 Kawasaki Concours for sale in Tuscumbia, Alabama - CycleTrader.com
Old 06-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #5
acecycleins
Founding Member

As a beginner I suggest the step-up method. Seriously, ride it for a couple of seasons and off it for what you have into it. The sugestion of the Honda PC800 is excellent. It's a little heavy, but the character of the bike is right in line for your first bike. As a former owner of a K bike I can tell you that you can find wonderful late 80's- early 90's bikes all over for $4k, but drop it once and you'll wish you picked a different bike. It was the most reliable bike I have ever owned, however. If you are not mechanically inclined they will cost a little more to maintain than many other brands. The PC has this weird like cult following. They aren't particularly fast, but they can go for miles. They're comfortable. And they are nearly bullet-proof. Just make sure you have a mechanic check it out before you purchase it. They'll tell you if the bike's seen it's better days. Overall, you should be fine, because even high mile bikes are taken care of like BMW owners do for their bikes.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

A late '90's Triumph Bonneville or Thunderbird.

Or, and older SV-650! You should be able to get on one for $3000.

Preferably not one that's been raced. They cost too much to put back together. And there's no telling what the engine's like.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenkaetaya View Post
Hi, i was interested in purchasing a motorcycle, i am a just post college student and am not looking to spend more then 3000 really.

i especially like the bikes such as the BMW K series, I most importantly want a bike that shakes very little. I hate when things shake cuz then my hands do that for hours on end and ...

so what are some bikes you guys could recommend for a beginner that would be within 3000 that would be similar to the bmw, where you sit up straight, yet looking somewhat like a sport bike.

thanks

EX250 or EX500 and some bags! Viola touring bike!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
cenkaetaya
Registered Member

hey, thanks for the reply.

lol.. i have only ridden a moped, but i think i could manage it pretty well. I am not really looking to go fast, just .. kinda get places. But to be able to sit up straight and get around on the highway if need be.

how would i determine how much shaking / or handlebar vibration a bike would have?

that honda bike looks good, but your right, it is hard to find.

those EX250 and 500 look like you gota hunch over too much. Im 6ft1 skinny bastard
cenkaetaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenkaetaya View Post
hey, thanks for the reply.

lol.. i have only ridden a moped, but i think i could manage it pretty well. I am not really looking to go fast, just .. kinda get places. But to be able to sit up straight and get around on the highway if need be.

how would i determine how much shaking / or handlebar vibration a bike would have?

that honda bike looks good, but your right, it is hard to find.

those EX250 and 500 look like you gota hunch over too much. Im 6ft1 skinny bastard
Looks can be deceiving. Both have a fairly-upright seating position. That said, you'd probably fit the EX250 better than the 500 - there's a touch more leg room. Bein' a "skinny bastid" is a plus with that bike to boot.

Try them out - it costs nothing to sit on bikes. (well, unless you let the salesmook talk you into buyin' it)

Training First, though.

Seriously. Take the MSF Beginning Rider Course. THEN buy a bike.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You can find '80's BMW K bikes for $3k all day long around here at least. Kirk's right, I put around 60,000 miles on an 85 K100RS and enjoyed every minute. They're excellent bulletproof bikes, usually with better more committed dealer support and parts availability than the Japanese. I'd buy another one in a minute if the price was right.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote