Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,490
Default

The last 2 Ozzy Albums are complete and utter failures - disjointed, incoherent, confused - sorta like an episode of The Osbornes combined with every other reality-show ever made. All at once.

And then came Dio......

Probably the one thing that "saved" the band (musically). It also gave us a glimpse at the idea that leaving the band might not have been entirely on Ozzie's drunken head. Apparenty, Iommi has a mild God Complex, and is not afraid to use it.

#11 (Born Again) sounds distinctly '80s, and is somewhat of a Sophomoric-effort. But, it is very Dark (especially for the '80s). Ian Gillian is no Ronnie James Dio, that's for sure.

#12 (Seventh Star) is a flaming heap of Disco - I dunno WTF Iommi was doing there - it's probably the only one that he will never allow a re-issue of. Too much Cocaine was used in the making of this record, they should have taken the mirrored ball off the ceiling of the Studio.........

#14 (Headless Cross) is the one Mommy's all-over the World should have held-up as the Poster-Child of Satanic Rock - the entire Theme is about Service to The Devil. Probably the Heaviest (in both subject-matter and Riff, with Tony Martin's vocals sounding almost like a blend of Ozzy and Dio. It Literally raised the hair on the back of my neck the first time I heard it, over 20 years-ago. My Dad hated that album; a sure sign it was awesome.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #22
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Yerp, Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Master of Reality pretty well covered it. I seem to be in a Beatles phase right now, I'm wearing out Abby Road and Let It Be all over again.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 06-23-2010 at 08:03 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #23
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Or you could simply play any album from Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, etc and hear exactly the same shyt.
Yeah, but some turds are dry and crumbly, some are wet and gooey, some are white, and every once in a while, when the stars align and the rainbow lands in your yard, you find the coveted "Baloney-String Turd." Which is much like the very best of Metallica.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Yerp, Black Sabbath, Paranoid and Master of Reality pretty well covered it. I seem to be in a Beatles phase right now, I'm wearing out Abby Road and Let It Be all over again.
Abby and LIB still somehow sound fresh today. Somewhat related, I love "Savoy Truffle," also from that stage. A contemporary band would do well to cover that tune, although my band from 15 years ago tried without commercial success...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Probably the one thing that "saved" the band (musically). It also gave us a glimpse at the idea that leaving the band might not have been entirely on Ozzie's drunken head. Apparenty, Iommi has a mild God Complex, and is not afraid to use it.
No doubt that Iommi brims with technical brilliance. but sometimes nothing is better than a nice comfortable jam by a master
YouTube - 801 - Diamond Head
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #26
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Does this mean he;s trying to live off of BMI royalties? He's goona have to tour. Merch is where musicians make their money now-a-days.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Does this mean he;s trying to live off of BMI royalties? He's goona have to tour. Merch is where musicians make their money now-a-days.
I was listenin' to Eddy Trunk a few Mondays-ago, and he was talkin' about how it USED to be that Touring was done as a way to support the Album, and to help flagging sales, to "keep the band in the limelight" so to speak. Now, it's exactly the opposite - Touring is where the Money's at - Album sales are just some ancilliary thing; especially in this day and age of Downloads.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I was listenin' to Eddy Trunk a few Mondays-ago, and he was talkin' about how it USED to be that Touring was done as a way to support the Album, and to help flagging sales, to "keep the band in the limelight" so to speak. Now, it's exactly the opposite - Touring is where the Money's at - Album sales are just some ancilliary thing; especially in this day and age of Downloads.
True that!! As a former roadie, sound engineer and road manager I can tell you that we would make as much selling merch over getting paid for the gig. Tough business to be in right now. All work and no play- no pun intended.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
True that!! As a former roadie, sound engineer and road manager I can tell you that we would make as much selling merch over getting paid for the gig. Tough business to be in right now. All work and no play- no pun intended.
I'd revise that. These days, all work means lots of playing.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off