Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2011 Harley-Davidson Sportster XR1200X Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15490-2011-harley-davidson-sportster-xr1200x-review.html)

Duken4evr 06-10-2010 06:57 PM

Sweet looking machine. What a fun platform to mod up to the max too. Gimme time and money please :)

customking 06-11-2010 09:06 AM

Please publish a comparison of the XR1200 to a 1203cc Buell.

Kevin_Duke 06-11-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by customking (Post 243626)
Please publish a comparison of the XR1200 to a 1203cc Buell.

Interesting concept, but it's a difficult one now that Buell has been axed. However, it's safe the say the Buell is a sportier machine that is more track-capable. Not only is the XB series more nimble than the XR (steeper rake, shorter wheelbase, lighter weight), but its motor has a higher output than the Harley's.

Apples and oranges, I'd say. The H-D may lack some performance compared to the Buell, but the XR has a greater emotional appeal.

bmwclay 06-11-2010 12:48 PM

I just put about 30 miles on a 2010 Harley XR1200 today. It was a pretty decent ride. It had good torque down low and really seem to come alive past 5000 rpm. It handled very well on the sweepers at Lake Herman road. The best thing about the bike was a nice neutral riding position., just like all the BMW's and Honda Scramblers that I have owned, but with more power. The bike seemed to be an old friend the moment I started it up.
By my seat of my pants, I would say my Le Mans is quite a bit faster in the straights (especially on top) and in the sweepers, but the XR1200 would easily dominate the Guzzi in the tight stuff. My 1150 GS (with the Ohlins) would hand the Harley it's lunch on Highway One and it would be close on mid-range and top. The Harley has the BMW beat all to hell on character just as the Le Mans with its Italian flair, has the Harley whipped.

All in all I really like the Harley, but not enough to replace either (or both) of my other bikes.

lawprofkk 06-11-2010 01:01 PM

One of the best looking Harleys in recent memory and one of the (very) few I would have ever considered owning.

However, can't hold a candle to my R3T, so I'll just saunter over to the H-D dealer for a looksee and maybe a test ride, then go home, contentedly, on what I consider to be the best cruiser type bike in the world today.

12er 06-11-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwclay (Post 243650)
I just put about 30 miles on a 2010 Harley XR1200 today. It was a pretty decent ride. It had good torque down low and really seem to come alive past 5000 rpm. It handled very well on the sweepers at Lake Herman road. The best thing about the bike was a nice neutral riding position., just like all the BMW's and Honda Scramblers that I have owned, but with more power. The bike seemed to be an old friend the moment I started it up.
By my seat of my pants, I would say my Le Mans is quite a bit faster in the straights (especially on top) and in the sweepers, but the XR1200 would easily dominate the Guzzi in the tight stuff. My 1150 GS (with the Ohlins) would hand the Harley it's lunch on Highway One and it would be close on mid-range and top. The Harley has the BMW beat all to hell on character just as the Le Mans with its Italian flair, has the Harley whipped.

All in all I really like the Harley, but not enough to replace either (or both) of my other bikes.

Got a demo out of Vallejo? I demoed the Uly from them a few years ago. Strafed Lake Herman grinning like a fool, well until I hit the rev limiter repeatedly. The brain would not connect with short shifting...

schizuki 06-16-2010 07:37 AM

Amazing how far the blackout treatment will go to forgive styling shortcomings. I've always thought that an XR1200 with blacked-out engine and exhaust would be tempting. Now it's gone from tempting to taunting. Replace the pillion pad with a flush plastic plate, throw on a headlight fairing and low bars, and I've got me a pseudo-neo-XLCR. Damn you, cruel finances!