Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #51
reinerka
Founding Member

I think Honda has lost some base with their customers over the years. The GL1800 was the start where they began outpricing the bike for what it is worth. Now the VFR takes this to the next level. The original VFR was an affordable machine with good technology. Now we have another interpretation of technology for the sake of technolgoy and in search for people paying the price.

Granted BMW isn't a manufacturer that is without technology. However those are more focused on "real world" than what Honda has been dreaming up rescently.

Honda is on the best way to make riding a motorcycle like driving a Toyota (detach the rider from the actual experience). I've abandonded the Honda ship (after a GL1800 with 240k miles and ST1300 with 80k miles) towards BMW (R1200GSA and F800GS) and from my view they are more fun and engaging than Honda. However to each their own.

Honda priced above BMW. Having owned both brance over the years I can only say - dream on Honda, you're not worth it.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #52
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
The original VFR was an affordable machine with good technology.
Actually, the VFRs were always more expensive than their rivals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post

Honda priced above BMW. Having owned both brance over the years I can only say - dream on Honda, you're not worth it.
We beg to differ (click on the link to see the VFR/K13S shootout): 2010 BMW K1300S vs Honda VFR1200F Shootout

Last edited by administrator : 06-14-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #53
reinerka
Founding Member

Kevin,

yes, the VFR has always been more expensive than their (Japanese) rivals. Honda is trying to upt their stake going against the new bread of BMW's - which they (Honda) are not matched up to (yet).

From all bikes that compare 1-1 to a BMW offering (the VFR hardly does) Honda is pricing itself above BMW (for whatever reason). The fit and finish was by no way better on any Honda that I've ever had (no matter what the brochure says) and rider egonomics are afterthoughts on all of the Honda bikes that I've owned over the years. BMW has put far more thought into this than any other manufacturer.

It might be that I'm more an LD-Rider and thus have different expectations from a bike. The VFR isn't my main market of what I would be looking at.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #54
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Actually, the VFRs were always more expensive than their rivals.
Yes and Triumph is very grateful that an 800cc VFR used to cost as much as a 1050 SprintST. I'm sure other manufacturers also encourage Honda's pricing policy.