Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #31
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Importance

Manual shift, good brakes, aerodynamics, light weight, powerful engine, ergonomics, all contribute to performance. I look at these features because they offer a level of control. If DCT offers a level of control the same or better than a manual shift and the extra weight doesn't effect stopping or turning ability I'm not sure what the issues would be for certain types of riding. I like a light bike for a number of reasons.The good news is there are plenty of bikes out there that offer the complete package. I would like the new VFR better if it were 100 lbs. lighter from a lighter is better specification perspective but if the bikes handling is not affected it might not be much of an issue.Cost, styling, fit and finish are other things all together.I will have to ride one to find out what the new VFR reality is. I do not beleive DCT will attract new riders. It will appeal to experienced riders that have no allegiance to manual shift.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #32
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The DCT is superior in every single way to the Hondamatic - except price.
Oh, I don't doubt that for even one second. I was just using it as an example of what I believe Honda is up-against.

And by the Royal Slag-off they've received, I believe that I'm not the only one with that mindset.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #33
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
No, light doesn't mean expensive. It just means smaller. Americans demand their fat pig bikes and they get them.
There you have it. Americans demand big bikes, so there isn't much impetus to market small bikes to us.

Personally, I'd prefer the VFR to be sub-1000cc, chain-driven and lighter than previous. Apparently I'm in the minority.

However, the VFR12 (which probably should've been called the SST1200 or something other than VFR) is an amazing motorcycle. It can romp in the twisties and not beat up its rider on the boring bits needed to travel on to get to the good stuff.

It's not a typical Honda. It's Honda's attempt to play in the BMW league, and it does that quite well.

And while its styling isn't its strongest point, it truly does look better in person where its high finish quality is plainly evident.

In short: I dig it. But its MSRP is out of my range.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #34
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Wtfo

Quote:
There you have it. Americans demand big bikes, so there isn't much impetus to market small bikes to us.

Personally, I'd prefer the VFR to be sub-1000cc, chain-driven and lighter than previous. Apparently I'm in the minority.

However, the VFR12 (which probably should've been called the SST1200 or something other than VFR) is an amazing motorcycle. It can romp in the twisties and not beat up its rider on the boring bits needed to travel on to get to the good stuff.

It's not a typical Honda. It's Honda's attempt to play in the BMW league, and it does that quite well.

And while its styling isn't its strongest point, it truly does look better in person where its high finish quality is plainly evident.

Well made points here Mr. Duke. I like many rely on professionals such as yourself to weigh the pros ond cons about new motorcycle purchases. Everyone has a different take and they all add up. I am shocked however that any motorcycle's MSRP would be out of of your price range. We all know Moto Journalists pull down hundreds of thousands of dollars anually(not to mention all the tax exempt side benefits).Here's to the search for the perfect bike.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #35
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:

No problem Bud, they'll let you make payments!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #36
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Well made points here Mr. Duke. I like many rely on professionals such as yourself to weigh the pros ond cons about new motorcycle purchases. Everyone has a different take and they all add up. I am shocked however that any motorcycle's MSRP would be out of of your price range. We all know Moto Journalists pull down hundreds of thousands of dollars anually(not to mention all the tax exempt side benefits).Here's to the search for the perfect bike.
Since you know so much about me, you should come out to my mansion for a visit. I'll send my G5 out to pick you up.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #37
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
No, light doesn't mean expensive. It just means smaller. Americans demand their fat pig bikes and they get them. I think it's gone entirely in the wrong direction. Fat bikes for fat pigs with no taste. "Oink oink. Give me some cheese bacon fries and a VFR please. And an M-80 for desert! Oink oink."
I know I'm easily confused, but didn't you just buy a Tiger 1050? That's hardly a ballerina slipper... And it's within 20 lbs of my bike, which is fairly hefty.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #38
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
No, light doesn't mean expensive. It just means smaller. Americans demand their fat pig bikes and they get them. I think it's gone entirely in the wrong direction. Fat bikes for fat pigs with no taste. "Oink oink. Give me some cheese bacon fries and a VFR please. And an M-80 for desert! Oink oink."
Mmmmm cheese bacon fries........
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I know I'm easily confused, but didn't you just buy a Tiger 1050? That's hardly a ballerina slipper... And it's within 20 lbs of my bike, which is fairly hefty.
I'd prefer something even lighter, true. The Tiger is the lightest road bike I've had in over decade. I'd forgotten how nice it is to haul around something 500 lbs wet rather than 600+. But options are limited for two up touring. The $7000 price tag was a contributing factor too. If I was solo touring I'd have a Versys or DL650. My point is just that I think the sport is heading the wrong way seeking bigger and heavier bikes all the time. 450 lbs used to be a big bike. Now they push 1/2 ton.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #40
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
My point is just that I think the sport is heading the wrong way seeking bigger and heavier bikes all the time. 450 lbs used to be a big bike. Now they push 1/2 ton.
I think Mr. Duke nailed it: if they'd called the VFR something else, it would have gone better. People had an expectation.

I'm not a sport bike expert; have they gotten notably heavier? Say a GSXR from 1990 versus today?