Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Honda VT1300 Stateline and VT1300 Interstate Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15415-2010-honda-vt1300-stateline-vt1300-interstate-review.html)

Administrator 05-28-2010 12:46 PM

2010 Honda VT1300 Stateline and VT1300 Interstate Review

Original Article:
<a href="http://www.motorcycle.com//manufacturer/honda/2010-honda-vt1300-stateline-and-vt1300-interstate-review-89588.html">2010 Honda VT1300 Stateline and VT1300 Interstate Review</a>

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Honda VT1300 Stateline and VT1300 Interstate Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 05-28-2010 02:02 PM

I take it that these will have the 750lb curb weight like the current ones?

pushrod 05-28-2010 02:14 PM

Will someone e'splain to me why the gas tanks have that butt-ugly seam along the bottom?

Triumph does the same thing with the Bonnies.

Wassup wid dat?

Buzglyd 05-28-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 242866)
Will someone e'splain to me why the gas tanks have that butt-ugly seam along the bottom?

Triumph does the same thing with the Bonnies.

Wassup wid dat?

It's cheaper to make.

Seamless tank much more labor intensive instead of just slapping two pieces of metal together with a robot.

Buzglyd 05-28-2010 02:45 PM

You mean the 'State's FAKE cooling fins get the blackout treatment.

Kenneth_Moore 05-29-2010 02:11 PM

Nice review, Pete. It must be a challenge to differentiate between the various cruisers, especially within a single model line, but you've done well with that task.

The comment on the $13K price point is very perceptive. I never conciously thought about it before, but the minute I read what you said about it, I realized you (and Honda) are quite right. $13K is indeed the price point that I tend to catagorize bikes on. Huh, wonder why that is?

MOKE1K 05-29-2010 08:28 PM

You've deffinately got to hand it to Honda, they can virtual take the same bike VTX13 change the Rims, Handlebars, and the tank and viola totally new model.

And referrencing the statement about previous model parts will
not swap over to new models. I have always found a certain amount of entertainment value out of people forever asking me " you think thos parts will fit the other bike"?

seruzawa 05-30-2010 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 242897)
You've deffinately got to hand it to Honda, they can virtual take the same bike VTX13 change the Rims, Handlebars, and the tank and viola totally new model.

And referrencing the statement about previous model parts will
not swap over to new models. I have always found a certain amount of entertainment value out of people forever asking me " you think thos parts will fit the other bike"?

Funny, Moke, but when Harley does the same parts bin thing all they seem to get is criticism.

anrajala 06-01-2010 02:51 AM

Swiveling rear fender my ass

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 242916)
Funny, Moke, but when Harley does the same parts bin thing all they seem to get is criticism.

The reason is that this is pretty much all Harley does. Look at the number of different Honda models in different categories.

I am not saying HD should go for example into the infantile plastic rocket market for those wannabe boy racer skum sucking swine. All I am saying they should produce a cruiser with big engine and decent torque. Is this too much to ask?

- cruiz-euro

MOKE1K 06-01-2010 07:10 AM

That was easy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 242916)

Maybe it's becuase of the cost of a Harley, I mean wouldn't the cost of steel be cheaper then aluminum?Aren't plastic covers cheaper to manufacture then steel covers.

The_AirHawk 06-01-2010 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 242961)
Maybe it's becuase of the cost of a Harley, I mean wouldn't the cost of steel be cheaper then aluminum?Aren't plastic covers cheaper to manufacture then steel covers.

Have you priced a Harley relative to a Honda lately?

Yeah, plastic covers are WAY cheaper than anything made from steel.

seruzawa 06-01-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 242961)

The VTX is more expensive than a Dyna-Glide now. The ol' cost difference has melted away.

Besides the Big 4 also have cruiser lines based on 2 or maybe three basic bikes. Just like HD.

MOKE1K 06-02-2010 06:59 AM

Well be that as it may, it seems that's the only bike that's listed at $11,999.00 Dyna Glide Super Glide. All the rest of the Dynas are either at 12,999.00 or higher. Unless of course you need the the awsome technology that the Sportster offers:-)

Now price aside let's park them next to each other. Sorry but the Harley looks like a 1970'z Model. The Honda on the other hand looks like a refined updated and almost chopper like motorcycle . No contest in my mind. Besides if your buying new, your more likely to get a deal on a Honda than you would a Harley. Man that thing is ugly.

sarnali2 06-02-2010 07:21 AM

Well beauty's in the eyes of the beerholder Moke, I think the Honda looks like some plastic toy at Toyz R Us myself, the Superglide is the real deal.

MOKE1K 06-02-2010 07:58 AM

Absolutely and I can respect that. Two wheels that's all that counts and to each his own.

sarnali2 06-02-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 243029)
Absolutely and I can respect that. Two wheels that's all that counts and to each his own.

That's the spirit there Pod'yo, I'd still let you buy me a beer, no hard feelings!....(just don't park that thing next to my Harley ya' know....don't want it rubbing off or anything).....

seruzawa 06-02-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 243022)
Now price aside let's park them next to each other. Sorry but the Harley looks like a 1970'z Model. The Honda on the other hand looks like a refined updated and almost chopper like motorcycle . No contest in my mind. Besides if your buying new, your more likely to get a deal on a Honda than you would a Harley. Man that thing is ugly.

Actually HD looks like a 1939 model. Apparently the large majority of cruiser buyers want that since HD still outsells Honda by a large margin. No matter how you package them they are all overweight. The whole thing is weird to me since I'm only interested in nakeds and ATs anyhow.

sarnali2 06-02-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 243043)
Actually HD looks like a 1939 model. Apparently the large majority of cruiser buyers want that since HD still outsells Honda by a large margin. No matter how you package them they are all overweight. The whole thing is weird to me since I'm only interested in nakeds and ATs anyhow.

I like Superglides because them and Bonnies & Tridents, R90's and MG LeMans were what was cool when I was a kid.....as far as "cruisers" go it's not my style. I like Sport Tourers and minimalist Tourers like my Electraglide Standard.

If I didn't have this I'd be looking at the new Sprint GT or an MG Norge` ....even an R1200RT. It rains too much and it's too cold, plus I like to haul too much crap around with me for anything else to work

MOKE1K 06-02-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 243043)

I would rather not be the majority when it comes to picking a motorcycle. I mean isn't that what riding a motorcycleis all about, being different independent? That for me is why I ride in the first place. Besides Iv lost more than one customer to a Harley because although the wife kept saying "no I feel more comfortable on this Yamaha". The big bad Harley riding husband said "you ain't buyin no Gosh Dern Yamaha you goin ride a real bike! We're getting you a Sporster.

MOKE1K 06-02-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 243048)
I like Superglides because them and Bonnies & Tridents, R90's and MG LeMans were what was cool when I was a kid.....as far as "cruisers" go it's not my style. I like Sport Tourers and minimalist Tourers like my Electraglide Standard.

If I didn't have this I'd be looking at the new Sprint GT or an MG Norge` ....even an R1200RT. It rains too much and it's too cold, plus I like to haul too much crap around with me for anything else to work

I think you've said a mouthful. Personal taste seems to do with what was cool when we were growing up and when we were most influencable.

Things or motorcycles that were cool in one era may be considered uncool in the next. This is why we have differences in all of our opinions.

Kenneth_Moore 06-02-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 243025)
Well beauty's in the eyes of the beerholder Moke, I think the Honda looks like some plastic toy at Toyz R Us myself, the Superglide is the real deal.

I was looking at a new 2010 Dyna Super Glide Sunday. It was so well equipped and finished, I actually had to read the points cover lable to figure out it was the most basic and cheapest Big Twin. The new bikes are a tremendous improvement when compared to what $11k got you for a brand new HD 5 or 10 years ago.

seruzawa 06-02-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 243048)

Maybe I put it a bit harshly because it's not that I dislike HDs as much as I'm older and tired of dealing with heavy bikes. I will probably acquire a project bike when I retire next year but am thinking more about a 1200/Storz conversion on an older 883. Though a good price on a clapped out Evo would pique my interest too. Especially a mid 80s FXRS. But at this point it wouldn't become a daily runner. SWMBO keeps wanting me to get one anyhow so who knows what the future brings.

fumanchu 06-02-2010 08:27 PM

to quote seruzawa from way back in 2007:

"Lacking anything but sheer guesswork I assume that Honda's m/c division has become ruled by committee."

when running my eyes over the 'state, that's the exact feeling i get - i don't like it's lack of a unifying design concept. it's arbitrarily sharply-edged in some places, and arbitrarily swoopy in others. some parts are chromed to apparently attract attention and exude quality and bling, and other high-visibility parts are conspicuously cheap-looking. it's like they had a suggestion box in the design office.

ymmv, of course.

MOKE1K 06-03-2010 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 243077)
Maybe I put it a bit harshly because it's not that I dislike HDs as much as I'm older and tired of dealing with heavy bikes. I will probably acquire a project bike when I retire next year but am thinking more about a 1200/Storz conversion on an older 883. Though a good price on a clapped out Evo would pique my interest too. Especially a mid 80s FXRS. But at this point it wouldn't become a daily runner. SWMBO keeps wanting me to get one anyhow so who knows what the future brings.

Even though you don't like the weights on the big Japanese cruisers, you've really got to test ride them to get a better idea. Judge balance and what it feels like not just what the manufacture prints.

seruzawa 06-03-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 243096)
Even though you don't like the weights on the big Japanese cruisers, you've really got to test ride them to get a better idea. Judge balance and what it feels like not just what the manufacture prints.

Moke, I've ridden a heck of a lot of bikes. I just don't buy the "weight disappears at speed" crap. 750 pounds is 750 pounds. I'm sick of pushing these things around. Another example is my buddy's K12RS vs his SprintST 1050. The mags all said the same bs about "the weight disappearing" on the K12. Well, I'm here to say that that is just sycophantic marketing by bike testers and toadying to the manufacturers. The K12 is a pig compared to the Sprint. In fact Bob calls the K12 "K-Pig". The 100 pound difference of the Sprint is well worth giving up the few extra hp on the K12. Guess which one he is getting rid of.

Or another friend's Road Star Warrior. Yikes what a hog. Yeah it's well balanced but still enough weight to crack concrete. Or Mike's Victory 8-ball. Same thing. Nice bike, well built, good neutral handling, runs like a Swiss watch, but Lordy, what a porker. Just not my style any more.

MOKE1K 06-03-2010 05:51 AM

Sure and maybe that's just it your more of a upright guy. Nothing wrong with that. The strat is a great example of feeling it first.

And mind I didn't say anything about it desepearing at speed. Iam talking about sitting on it. Or slow riding threw a parking lot. That will really show the true feeling of it's weght.

Larry 06-04-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 243068)
Besides I've lost more than one customer to a Harley because although the wife kept saying "no I feel more comfortable on this Yamaha". The big bad Harley riding husband said "you ain't buyin no Gosh Dern Yamaha you goin ride a real bike! We're getting you a Sporster.

I hear guys say "I bought the ol' lady a Sportster" and I think to myself, "Why? Do you hate her that much?"

I wouldn't piss on a Sportster if it was on fire.

Larry 06-04-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 243100)
Or another friend's Road Star Warrior. Yikes what a hog. Yeah it's well balanced but still enough weight to crack concrete.

The Warrior has an aluminum frame to save weight but it's still pretty heavy. Only 20 lbs lighter than your buddy's 8-Ball with a steel frame.

Dr_Sprocket 06-04-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 243173)
The Warrior has an aluminum frame to save weight but it's still pretty heavy. Only 20 lbs lighter than your buddy's 8-Ball with a steel frame.

Only twenty pounds? Geeez! Most people would do better to lose the twenty pounds themselves. Seru's got a legitimate point. Even though we have space-age technology and materials, bikes just haven't gotten that much lighter.

Of course, the power-to-weight ratio is significantly better because of the power bumps (not the weight reductions).

MOKE1K 06-04-2010 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 243172)
I hear guys say "I bought the ol' lady a Sportster" and I think to myself, "Why? Do you hate her that much?"

I wouldn't piss on a Sportster if it was on fire.

That's awsome! Need to put that in my signature:)

seruzawa 06-04-2010 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 243174)
Only twenty pounds? Geeez! Most people would do better to lose the twenty pounds themselves. Seru's got a legitimate point. Even though we have space-age technology and materials, bikes just haven't gotten that much lighter.

Of course, the power-to-weight ratio is significantly better because of the power bumps (not the weight reductions).

Twenty pounds = 730lb vs 750lbs. Like anyone would notice the difference.

As far as these things go I'm with Cuddy. Weight reduction is the way to go to increase performance. If I didn't have to haul a passenger for touring duty I wouldn't own a liter class bike at all. Sure bigger bikes have more hp and higher top speeds... as if that means a damm thing. Try to use the top end capability and you end up dead or in jail. The Tiger has converted me. No more porkers. Contrary to popular opinion the weight does not disappear at speed.

Kevin_Duke 06-04-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 243174)

This recently inflamed issue of excessive weight of bikes coincided with OEMs finally stating the weight of their bikes in fully fueled, ready-to-ride terms instead of the "dry weight" that misled us all for decades.

The continual demand for more power means heavier engines and beefier frames and stouter suspension. Count about 20 extra pounds for exhaust systems that meets current noise and pollution emissions. And then for some bikes, add ABS, electric windscreens, etc, and modern bikes are often heavier than we'd prefer.

Lighter is always better, but then again, we all don't want to be riding Bennche Megelli 250Rs, do we? :)

Kevin_Duke 06-04-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 243187)
Twenty pounds = 730lb vs 750lbs. Like anyone would notice the difference.

Good point. By my BA-level math skills, that's only a 2.7% difference.

MOKE1K 06-04-2010 09:23 AM

I would trade the weight for the extra power you recieve with the Japanese. It used to be the Harleys where the bigger bikes, nowadays Im not so sure. What I am sure of is my prefrence on looks. The Japanese just look newer in design. If I ever was to buy a cruiser I don't want it looking like it's straight out of the 30's, 50's, or 70's.

Dyna glide Super glide 632lbs dry
Yamaha Roadliner S 749lbs dry

Yamaha all day!

seruzawa 06-04-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 243192)
The continual demand for more power means heavier engines and beefier frames and stouter suspension. Count about 20 extra pounds for exhaust systems that meets current noise and pollution emissions. And then for some bikes, add ABS, electric windscreens, etc, and modern bikes are often heavier than we'd prefer.

Lighter is always better, but then again, we all don't want to be riding Bennche Megelli 250Rs, do we? :)

Naturally the market speaks. I've just become turned off to the insatiable demand for more power. Especially with more and more draconian speeding and wheelie penalties it becomes self-defeating IMHO.

I'll bet that 250R would be more of a hoot on some of my favorite mountain roads than an R1. Might be faster too in those sections of 15-25mph hairpins.

Kevin_Duke 06-04-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 243195)
Naturally the market speaks. I've just become turned off to the insatiable demand for more power. Especially with more and more draconian speeding and wheelie penalties it becomes self-defeating IMHO.

I'll bet that 250R would be more of a hoot on some of my favorite mountain roads than an R1. Might be faster too in those sections of 15-25mph hairpins.

Yeah, perhaps, but the hour on the 405 to get there won't be as much fun. :)

seruzawa 06-04-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 243199)

Heh heh. 15 minutes for me isn't much of a burden. Heh heh.

sarnali2 06-04-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 243199)

You Kalifornicators crack me up, not everyone has to ride for an hour to find nice twisties...I basically turn right at the end of my driveway LOL.....ummm....

I mean those guys in sunny beautiful motorsikkle friendly Utah just turn right at the end of THEIR DRIVEWAYS.....HERE IN WA. IT'S 6 HOURS THROUGH POLLUTED INDUSTRIAL WASTELAND BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN SEE THE ROAD....That's it.....

MOKE1K 06-04-2010 02:47 PM

Seru, I hope you take a chance one day and finally test ride a Stratoliner or a Roadliner maybe once that happens the weight won't bother you much with all that extra power. Yes the Roadstar is a pig, but it's the balance that's extrodinary on the Strat/Roadliner.

Every customer Iv had sit on that bike that had enough experience, always picks it up and comments on it's lightweight feel and balance for such a big bike.

Dr_Sprocket 06-04-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 243221)
Seru, I hope you take a chance one day and finally test ride a Stratoliner or a Roadliner maybe once that happens the weight won't bother you much with all that extra power. Yes the Roadstar is a pig, but it's the balance that's extrodinary on the Strat/Roadliner.

Every customer Iv had sit on that bike that had enough experience, always picks it up and comments on it's lightweight feel and balance for such a big bike.

Kinda like saying that a fat man is "light on his feet", eh?

I have to agree with you on that one, Moke. It's not simply how light a bike is, but also where/how that weight is distributed. A Sportster may be lighter than the Stratoliner, but in can never be said to be light between the knees.