Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #31
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Only twenty pounds? Geeez! Most people would do better to lose the twenty pounds themselves. Seru's got a legitimate point. Even though we have space-age technology and materials, bikes just haven't gotten that much lighter.

Of course, the power-to-weight ratio is significantly better because of the power bumps (not the weight reductions).
Twenty pounds = 730lb vs 750lbs. Like anyone would notice the difference.

As far as these things go I'm with Cuddy. Weight reduction is the way to go to increase performance. If I didn't have to haul a passenger for touring duty I wouldn't own a liter class bike at all. Sure bigger bikes have more hp and higher top speeds... as if that means a damm thing. Try to use the top end capability and you end up dead or in jail. The Tiger has converted me. No more porkers. Contrary to popular opinion the weight does not disappear at speed.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #32
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Only twenty pounds? Geeez! Most people would do better to lose the twenty pounds themselves. Seru's got a legitimate point. Even though we have space-age technology and materials, bikes just haven't gotten that much lighter.

Of course, the power-to-weight ratio is significantly better because of the power bumps (not the weight reductions).
This recently inflamed issue of excessive weight of bikes coincided with OEMs finally stating the weight of their bikes in fully fueled, ready-to-ride terms instead of the "dry weight" that misled us all for decades.

The continual demand for more power means heavier engines and beefier frames and stouter suspension. Count about 20 extra pounds for exhaust systems that meets current noise and pollution emissions. And then for some bikes, add ABS, electric windscreens, etc, and modern bikes are often heavier than we'd prefer.

Lighter is always better, but then again, we all don't want to be riding Bennche Megelli 250Rs, do we?

Last edited by Kevin_Duke : 06-04-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #33
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Twenty pounds = 730lb vs 750lbs. Like anyone would notice the difference.
Good point. By my BA-level math skills, that's only a 2.7% difference.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #34
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I would trade the weight for the extra power you recieve with the Japanese. It used to be the Harleys where the bigger bikes, nowadays Im not so sure. What I am sure of is my prefrence on looks. The Japanese just look newer in design. If I ever was to buy a cruiser I don't want it looking like it's straight out of the 30's, 50's, or 70's.

Dyna glide Super glide 632lbs dry
Yamaha Roadliner S 749lbs dry

Yamaha all day!
Old 06-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #35
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The continual demand for more power means heavier engines and beefier frames and stouter suspension. Count about 20 extra pounds for exhaust systems that meets current noise and pollution emissions. And then for some bikes, add ABS, electric windscreens, etc, and modern bikes are often heavier than we'd prefer.

Lighter is always better, but then again, we all don't want to be riding Bennche Megelli 250Rs, do we?
Naturally the market speaks. I've just become turned off to the insatiable demand for more power. Especially with more and more draconian speeding and wheelie penalties it becomes self-defeating IMHO.

I'll bet that 250R would be more of a hoot on some of my favorite mountain roads than an R1. Might be faster too in those sections of 15-25mph hairpins.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #36
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Naturally the market speaks. I've just become turned off to the insatiable demand for more power. Especially with more and more draconian speeding and wheelie penalties it becomes self-defeating IMHO.

I'll bet that 250R would be more of a hoot on some of my favorite mountain roads than an R1. Might be faster too in those sections of 15-25mph hairpins.
Yeah, perhaps, but the hour on the 405 to get there won't be as much fun.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Heh heh. 15 minutes for me isn't much of a burden. Heh heh.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #38
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:

You Kalifornicators crack me up, not everyone has to ride for an hour to find nice twisties...I basically turn right at the end of my driveway LOL.....ummm....

I mean those guys in sunny beautiful motorsikkle friendly Utah just turn right at the end of THEIR DRIVEWAYS.....HERE IN WA. IT'S 6 HOURS THROUGH POLLUTED INDUSTRIAL WASTELAND BEFORE YOU CAN EVEN SEE THE ROAD....That's it.....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #39
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Seru, I hope you take a chance one day and finally test ride a Stratoliner or a Roadliner maybe once that happens the weight won't bother you much with all that extra power. Yes the Roadstar is a pig, but it's the balance that's extrodinary on the Strat/Roadliner.

Every customer Iv had sit on that bike that had enough experience, always picks it up and comments on it's lightweight feel and balance for such a big bike.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #40
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Seru, I hope you take a chance one day and finally test ride a Stratoliner or a Roadliner maybe once that happens the weight won't bother you much with all that extra power. Yes the Roadstar is a pig, but it's the balance that's extrodinary on the Strat/Roadliner.

Every customer Iv had sit on that bike that had enough experience, always picks it up and comments on it's lightweight feel and balance for such a big bike.
Kinda like saying that a fat man is "light on his feet", eh?

I have to agree with you on that one, Moke. It's not simply how light a bike is, but also where/how that weight is distributed. A Sportster may be lighter than the Stratoliner, but in can never be said to be light between the knees.