Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Well beauty's in the eyes of the beerholder Moke, I think the Honda looks like some plastic toy at Toyz R Us myself, the Superglide is the real deal.
I was looking at a new 2010 Dyna Super Glide Sunday. It was so well equipped and finished, I actually had to read the points cover lable to figure out it was the most basic and cheapest Big Twin. The new bikes are a tremendous improvement when compared to what $11k got you for a brand new HD 5 or 10 years ago.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I like Superglides because them and Bonnies & Tridents, R90's and MG LeMans were what was cool when I was a kid.....as far as "cruisers" go it's not my style. I like Sport Tourers and minimalist Tourers like my Electraglide Standard.

If I didn't have this I'd be looking at the new Sprint GT or an MG Norge` ....even an R1200RT. It rains too much and it's too cold, plus I like to haul too much crap around with me for anything else to work
Maybe I put it a bit harshly because it's not that I dislike HDs as much as I'm older and tired of dealing with heavy bikes. I will probably acquire a project bike when I retire next year but am thinking more about a 1200/Storz conversion on an older 883. Though a good price on a clapped out Evo would pique my interest too. Especially a mid 80s FXRS. But at this point it wouldn't become a daily runner. SWMBO keeps wanting me to get one anyhow so who knows what the future brings.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
fumanchu
Founding Member

to quote seruzawa from way back in 2007:

"Lacking anything but sheer guesswork I assume that Honda's m/c division has become ruled by committee."

when running my eyes over the 'state, that's the exact feeling i get - i don't like it's lack of a unifying design concept. it's arbitrarily sharply-edged in some places, and arbitrarily swoopy in others. some parts are chromed to apparently attract attention and exude quality and bling, and other high-visibility parts are conspicuously cheap-looking. it's like they had a suggestion box in the design office.

ymmv, of course.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #24
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Maybe I put it a bit harshly because it's not that I dislike HDs as much as I'm older and tired of dealing with heavy bikes. I will probably acquire a project bike when I retire next year but am thinking more about a 1200/Storz conversion on an older 883. Though a good price on a clapped out Evo would pique my interest too. Especially a mid 80s FXRS. But at this point it wouldn't become a daily runner. SWMBO keeps wanting me to get one anyhow so who knows what the future brings.
Even though you don't like the weights on the big Japanese cruisers, you've really got to test ride them to get a better idea. Judge balance and what it feels like not just what the manufacture prints.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #25
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Even though you don't like the weights on the big Japanese cruisers, you've really got to test ride them to get a better idea. Judge balance and what it feels like not just what the manufacture prints.
Moke, I've ridden a heck of a lot of bikes. I just don't buy the "weight disappears at speed" crap. 750 pounds is 750 pounds. I'm sick of pushing these things around. Another example is my buddy's K12RS vs his SprintST 1050. The mags all said the same bs about "the weight disappearing" on the K12. Well, I'm here to say that that is just sycophantic marketing by bike testers and toadying to the manufacturers. The K12 is a pig compared to the Sprint. In fact Bob calls the K12 "K-Pig". The 100 pound difference of the Sprint is well worth giving up the few extra hp on the K12. Guess which one he is getting rid of.

Or another friend's Road Star Warrior. Yikes what a hog. Yeah it's well balanced but still enough weight to crack concrete. Or Mike's Victory 8-ball. Same thing. Nice bike, well built, good neutral handling, runs like a Swiss watch, but Lordy, what a porker. Just not my style any more.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #26
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Sure and maybe that's just it your more of a upright guy. Nothing wrong with that. The strat is a great example of feeling it first.

And mind I didn't say anything about it desepearing at speed. Iam talking about sitting on it. Or slow riding threw a parking lot. That will really show the true feeling of it's weght.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:46 AM   #27
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Besides I've lost more than one customer to a Harley because although the wife kept saying "no I feel more comfortable on this Yamaha". The big bad Harley riding husband said "you ain't buyin no Gosh Dern Yamaha you goin ride a real bike! We're getting you a Sporster.
I hear guys say "I bought the ol' lady a Sportster" and I think to myself, "Why? Do you hate her that much?"

I wouldn't piss on a Sportster if it was on fire.
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:01 AM   #28
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Or another friend's Road Star Warrior. Yikes what a hog. Yeah it's well balanced but still enough weight to crack concrete.
The Warrior has an aluminum frame to save weight but it's still pretty heavy. Only 20 lbs lighter than your buddy's 8-Ball with a steel frame.
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 AM   #29
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
The Warrior has an aluminum frame to save weight but it's still pretty heavy. Only 20 lbs lighter than your buddy's 8-Ball with a steel frame.
Only twenty pounds? Geeez! Most people would do better to lose the twenty pounds themselves. Seru's got a legitimate point. Even though we have space-age technology and materials, bikes just haven't gotten that much lighter.

Of course, the power-to-weight ratio is significantly better because of the power bumps (not the weight reductions).
Old 06-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #30
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I hear guys say "I bought the ol' lady a Sportster" and I think to myself, "Why? Do you hate her that much?"

I wouldn't piss on a Sportster if it was on fire.
That's awsome! Need to put that in my signature