Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #11
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I've been lucky with the mini USB cords, my last 2 cellphones & 2 bluetooth headsets, home & car chargers were all inter changable. I don't even know which ones came with what anymore, but they all work on eachother. Also I can plug my ipod cord into the wall plug for my cell too, so I can charge it without having to bog down my computer synching what don't need synched.

I plan to put a regular cigarette lighter accessory port on my bike's front end, or in the saddlebag somewhere possibly with a grommet near the top inner edge for cord routing. I'm hoping to then be able to charge my cell and power GPS with it.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
pplassm
Founding Member

I wired up a small power supply from charger parts I had lying around. I never throw any electrical parts away.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I was thinkin that rather then get a motorcycle accessory port, I can get one for a car alot cheaper if I run it into the saddlebag anyway.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi 5000 mounted with a RAM mount. It's a car model, I put a ziploc over it when it rains. It works fine. The touchscreen works fine with gloves, but be prepared to fat-finger it a lot.

If buying a new unit I would spring for a motorcycle model for weather proof-ness. I get caught in the rain a lot.

My unit doesn't have an internal battery. I have it hard-wired to the bike's electrical system.

My unit has FM output, I can tune my bike radio to the correct FM station, or if using Scala Rider headsets, I can tune the headset to the correct FM station to pick up the GPS audio.

Here is what I will look for in my next GPS purchase:

Large screen
Glove Friendly
internal battery
MP3 player
FM transmitter
Multi-waypoint routing

Bluetooth is also a good feature if you want hands-free cell phone capability.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I just bought the lowest of the low end GPS yesterday a Tom Ton One and it does have battery power but no headphone jack, I figured they all did, but diddn't know any of them had FM transmission, I would've looked for that. On the way home from the store, it couldn't find a restruant a mile away, took me up the wrong road and told me my destination was an empty field. I got home & ran all the updates, used it today working and it told me to turn on roads where there wasn't a road at all, and was incorrect on my target destination on 2 of 4 locations I visited. I may have to take it back & spend more cash?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Holy crap, ASR, that's pathetic! I spent $200 on a Garmin Nuvi and it works great. I lead me from Baltimore airport to my friends house in NYC without one error after my flight was cancelled. I use it around here for accurate speed readings etc.

How much was the Tom Tomato?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #17
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I just bought the lowest of the low end GPS yesterday a Tom Ton One and it does have battery power but no headphone jack, I figured they all did, but diddn't know any of them had FM transmission, I would've looked for that. On the way home from the store, it couldn't find a restruant a mile away, took me up the wrong road and told me my destination was an empty field. I got home & ran all the updates, used it today working and it told me to turn on roads where there wasn't a road at all, and was incorrect on my target destination on 2 of 4 locations I visited. I may have to take it back & spend more cash?
Don't buy that Wal-Mart shatz.......
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
A Star Ride
Registered Member

It was $80.00 from H.H. Gregg, who just opened a few weeks ago. I think I'm gonna have to get a higher end model. It will tell you "turn left ahead", but I'd rather it say "turn left 200 yards ahead on Main Street". It's a POS, lol
Old 06-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
It was $80.00 from H.H. Gregg, who just opened a few weeks ago. I think I'm gonna have to get a higher end model. It will tell you "turn left ahead", but I'd rather it say "turn left 200 yards ahead on Main Street". It's a POS, lol
Tom Tom's verbal prompts:

"Turn left into the side of the liquor store. Turn right to enter Vodka aisle. Exit vehicle and run. Your auto insurance rate will now rise 340%."