Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #21
acecycleins
Founding Member

America's biggest issue with bikes: Training. We suck at it. Next big issue: Public awareness. We do not train new drivers to look for motorcyclist when they run to get their licenses at 16yo. If Jason Britton went on a PSA mission to deliver the message that riders are everywhere and that "stunta's" need to take it to the "closed course" then we might have a shot. Until then, motorcyclist are a thorn in the side of average drivers. The only way to change it is to train the next generation that we are here, our numbers are growing and you need to watch for us.
Our riding marketplace is in a state of flux. We made great gains in new ridership during the 90's and early 2000's. But training is a joke at best. Regardless of what is thought by grizzled riders (like myself), we have to make the training more intensive. I believe that ALL applicants should pay the price of the basic MSF course and before they recieve a permanent M class endorsement they should have to pass the Advance course or attend a course like Keith Code's or Kevin Schwantz's. I. also, believe that if you haven't had your M class for at least 2 seasons you should not be allowed to register a bike that makes more than 90 crank hp. Really, it should be lower (like 65 hp), but marketeers will cry over that. Just my two cents on that.

Last edited by acecycleins : 05-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #22
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

So, we’d like to know what you think is needed to get more people into motorcycling. What is stopping more American consumers from embracing inexpensive, high-mpg vehicles?

Pretty much everybody knows somebody who was killed or maimed on a bike. We see bike wrecks almost daily here. Our culture is such that anybody with kids thinks they need a giant SUV to be safe...my kid's best friend's Mom thinks I'm absolutely nuts to drive a Mini-Cooper. (She doesn't know it has better crash test results than her F 150). I have a friend who's a nurse, she calls me "Organ Donor," and thinks I'm irresponsible for taking my kid to school on the bike.

Even people who are initially enthusiastic and buy a bike get the sh!t scared out them on the road and the bike winds up collecting dust in the garage.

Until there are substantial changes in the riding environment on public roads, bikes and scooters are going to remain a niche market.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #23
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

"Yamaha's new Tenere which will likely arrive in America next fall,"

Really? Wow, that's a sweet looking bike. If the price is resonable (under $12K) I'd have a look. If it's another $15k bike...might as well get the GS or Multi.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
"Yamaha's new Tenere which will likely arrive in America next fall,"

Really? Wow, that's a sweet looking bike. If the price is resonable (under $12K) I'd have a look. If it's another $15k bike...might as well get the GS or Multi.
MCN says the bike is more than a rigged out GS. Probably in the $19k range when it gets here. Keep the Strom.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #25
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
MCN says the bike is more than a rigged out GS. Probably in the $19k range when it gets here. Keep the Strom.
It's funny, I go by the bike shops on the weekend and I'll see something that has me mentally reaching for the checkbook. Then I walk outside and the Vee is there, all shiny and fast...and paid for.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #26
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
If the Tenere will cost $19K in America, they won't bring it here. I'll guess $13.5K depending on standard equipment. And depending on whether Yam imports it...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM   #27
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

I also believe rider training is integral to bringing in new riders. It's ridiculous that there is such a casual regard to newbies and the ability to ride a NinjaBusa as a first bike. I also believe tiered licensing would bring more seriousness to the equation. Not sure if that'll ever get past the live-free-or-die folks...
Old 05-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #28
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I have a friend who's a nurse, she calls me "Organ Donor," and thinks I'm irresponsible for taking my kid to school on the bike.
You need to compliment her on her originality.

And tell her that medical professionals negligently kill 10 times more people each year than motorcycles.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #29
sherm
Founding Member

"It is expected to be a “niche” product because it will cost more having both an electric and gasoline powerplant. But, said Timoni, “It will kick the ass of the Prius!”"

Full speed ahead, and drop the anchor. When the word "niche" comes in, its usually a euphemism for expensive. Who are the people who are financially sensitive to high gas prices, the ones that have to think twice before pulling the car out of the garage? They are people that could not afford a "niche" vehicle, and would never consider it in spite of the 100 mpg.

The MP3 probably the only "motorcycle like" vehicle that can soften the fears of two wheel averse persons. Its a truly great invention. So the MP3 hybrid could kill two birds with one stone: a motorcycle to attract the initially timid, and a vehicle that could put a real dent in fuel expenses. All that's needed is a price that that makes it affordable to people might really need it.

If "niche" means what I think it does, it'll just be another showroom object for us geezers to look at an BS about. Piaggio, full speed ahead, and cut the niche,er anchor rope!!!
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm View Post
"It is expected to be a “niche” product because it will cost more having both an electric and gasoline powerplant. But, said Timoni, “It will kick the ass of the Prius!”"

Full speed ahead, and drop the anchor. When the word "niche" comes in, its usually a euphemism for expensive. Who are the people who are financially sensitive to high gas prices, the ones that have to think twice before pulling the car out of the garage? They are people that could not afford a "niche" vehicle, and would never consider it in spite of the 100 mpg.

The MP3 probably the only "motorcycle like" vehicle that can soften the fears of two wheel averse persons. Its a truly great invention. So the MP3 hybrid could kill two birds with one stone: a motorcycle to attract the initially timid, and a vehicle that could put a real dent in fuel expenses. All that's needed is a price that that makes it affordable to people might really need it.

If "niche" means what I think it does, it'll just be another showroom object for us geezers to look at an BS about. Piaggio, full speed ahead, and cut the niche,er anchor rope!!!
It's virtually impossible to bring new technology to the market at a price cheaper than existing tech. The MP3 hybrid has three expensive strikes against it: the cost of adding an extra wheel and tilting front end, plus an electric motor, plus the battery necessary to run it.

New tech almost always is paid for by early adopters with fat wallets. As the tech becomes more prevalent, its cost comes down so the rest of us can afford it.