Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On My Bike
Posts: 3
Default First U.S. TTXGP at Infineon Raceway


Original Article:
First U.S. TTXGP at Infineon Raceway

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article First U.S. TTXGP at Infineon Raceway in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

 
mscuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Next to my still checkin the temp.
Posts: 5,449
Default

Um...those pit tootsies weren't wearing...um...rubber pants were they? Man, tight fitting latex...all slippery and shiney, glistening...a big bottle of wesson oil and HOO YAH! ....err...nice bikes...
__________________
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.
mscuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Wow, great article Jeff. I think it's really exciting to be here at the ground floor of a whole new paradigm in motorcycling. When was the last time anything this radically new came along in motorcycling? If ever? Man, I wonder if any of the bikes are for sale...some of them will be priceless collector's items in a couple of decades.

These bikes look like real motorcycles, unlike the goofy Zero bikes I rode in Daytona. That matters. As for AC versus DC, a quick review of Tesla's patents is all anyone needs to make that call. AC has engineering challenges, but ultimately outperforms DC in motor (or generator) applications.

So Blammo didn't show? Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx? He had a very strong looking bike last year at the TT...except it broke.

Thanks for keeping the electro-info coming, Jeff. Maybe an Electric (or Non-Petrol) section on the site would be worthwhile. There's going to be a lot more to come.
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Wow, great article Jeff. I think it's really exciting to be here at the ground floor of a whole new paradigm in motorcycling. When was the last time anything this radically new came along in motorcycling? If ever? Man, I wonder if any of the bikes are for sale...some of them will be priceless collector's items in a couple of decades.

These bikes look like real motorcycles, unlike the goofy Zero bikes I rode in Daytona. That matters. As for AC versus DC, a quick review of Tesla's patents is all anyone needs to make that call. AC has engineering challenges, but ultimately outperforms DC in motor (or generator) applications.

So Blammo didn't show? Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx? He had a very strong looking bike last year at the TT...except it broke.

Thanks for keeping the electro-info coming, Jeff. Maybe an Electric (or Non-Petrol) section on the site would be worthwhile. There's going to be a lot more to come.

Thanks once again Ken!

Also, where was Mission Motors? That along with your question was asked by top people there. But don't count Brammo out -- not even a little bit.

As long as this article was, plenty was left unsaid.

At this stage, it seems people follow the leader – and the leader is Agni. Arvind is a genuinely nice guy, and he and Cedric Lynch have put together the current winning combination.

He is open to AC powered motors too, he says.

btw, AC and DC deliver different power curves.

If you want used electric bikes for your future shock collection, I bet it's a buyer's market now. Call Todd at Electric Motorsport/Native, and see if he has any suggestions.

He had a gutted '98 R1 e-bike loaded w/ A123 batteries on a trailer they'd robbed for parts to get their race bike going, and aside from that, I bet he knows everyone out there in the e-bike race biz with the need for cash right about now.




Jeff
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx?
Heheheheheheheheh.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member
 
Kenneth_Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VIsiting the GIft Shop in the Pit of DIspair
Posts: 7,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post

btw, AC and DC deliver different power curves.

If you want used electric bikes for your future shock collection, I bet it's a buyer's market now. Call Todd at Electric Motorsport/Native, and see if he has any suggestions.





Jeff
Can you expand on the AC versus DC power curve a bit? My guess would be that DC is more linear but with lower overall performance potential, and AC is spikey with greater performance potential (for a given power supply).

Ya see son, you'll just have to wait a few years to go to college; I invested your trust fund in these priceless electric race bikes, and the prices haven't quite peaked yet...
__________________
www.kennethmoore.org
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
baldheadeddork
Founding Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx?
Look for Nick Ienatsch...um, scuffing his knee sliders.
baldheadeddork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
12er
Founding Member
 
12er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF
Posts: 2,801
Default

Either way the race was cool and I had the top two on the wrong bikes. Still was fun to watch and experience. I assume in a year or so its going to be a completely different ball game with the 4 series going on around the globe. May be small but now there is a series at least, so more back yard electrical engineers will be coming out of the woodwork. I was watching with the family of the Volt crew. They said on the last lap he had a battery pack rupture and dump battery acid on his rear tire ending his run for 4th 5 turns from the finish. It was all home built and self funded, even tig welded the box himself. I just like in this day and age you can still build something in your garage and go racing.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
Either way the race was cool and I had the top two on the wrong bikes. Still was fun to watch and experience. I assume in a year or so its going to be a completely different ball game with the 4 series going on around the globe. May be small but now there is a series at least, so more back yard electrical engineers will be coming out of the woodwork. I was watching with the family of the Volt crew. They said on the last lap he had a battery pack rupture and dump battery acid on his rear tire ending his run for 4th 5 turns from the finish. It was all home built and self funded, even tig welded the box himself. I just like in this day and age you can still build something in your garage and go racing.
Yeah, the racing might not be competitive yet, but the technical innovations will be interesting to watch.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
I just like in this day and age you can still build something in your garage and go racing.
That's probably the best feature of electric racing. It hasn't been buried under rules yet. And it's comparatively easy to stitch an electric drive train together. It doesn't require fantastic metallurgy just to build the motor.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off