Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   First U.S. TTXGP at Infineon Raceway (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15286-first-u-s-ttxgp-infineon-raceway.html)

Administrator 05-17-2010 02:03 PM

First U.S. TTXGP at Infineon Raceway
 

Original Article:
First U.S. TTXGP at Infineon Raceway

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article First U.S. TTXGP at Infineon Raceway in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

mscuddy 05-17-2010 05:44 PM

Um...those pit tootsies weren't wearing...um...rubber pants were they? Man, tight fitting latex...all slippery and shiney, glistening...a big bottle of wesson oil and HOO YAH! ....err...nice bikes...

Kenneth_Moore 05-17-2010 06:04 PM

Wow, great article Jeff. I think it's really exciting to be here at the ground floor of a whole new paradigm in motorcycling. When was the last time anything this radically new came along in motorcycling? If ever? Man, I wonder if any of the bikes are for sale...some of them will be priceless collector's items in a couple of decades.

These bikes look like real motorcycles, unlike the goofy Zero bikes I rode in Daytona. That matters. As for AC versus DC, a quick review of Tesla's patents is all anyone needs to make that call. AC has engineering challenges, but ultimately outperforms DC in motor (or generator) applications.

So Blammo didn't show? Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx? He had a very strong looking bike last year at the TT...except it broke.

Thanks for keeping the electro-info coming, Jeff. Maybe an Electric (or Non-Petrol) section on the site would be worthwhile. There's going to be a lot more to come.

Jeff Cobb 05-17-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 241906)
Wow, great article Jeff. I think it's really exciting to be here at the ground floor of a whole new paradigm in motorcycling. When was the last time anything this radically new came along in motorcycling? If ever? Man, I wonder if any of the bikes are for sale...some of them will be priceless collector's items in a couple of decades.

These bikes look like real motorcycles, unlike the goofy Zero bikes I rode in Daytona. That matters. As for AC versus DC, a quick review of Tesla's patents is all anyone needs to make that call. AC has engineering challenges, but ultimately outperforms DC in motor (or generator) applications.

So Blammo didn't show? Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx? He had a very strong looking bike last year at the TT...except it broke.

Thanks for keeping the electro-info coming, Jeff. Maybe an Electric (or Non-Petrol) section on the site would be worthwhile. There's going to be a lot more to come.


Thanks once again Ken!

Also, where was Mission Motors? That along with your question was asked by top people there. But don't count Brammo out -- not even a little bit.

As long as this article was, plenty was left unsaid.

At this stage, it seems people follow the leader – and the leader is Agni. Arvind is a genuinely nice guy, and he and Cedric Lynch have put together the current winning combination.

He is open to AC powered motors too, he says.

btw, AC and DC deliver different power curves.

If you want used electric bikes for your future shock collection, I bet it's a buyer's market now. Call Todd at Electric Motorsport/Native, and see if he has any suggestions.

He had a gutted '98 R1 e-bike loaded w/ A123 batteries on a trailer they'd robbed for parts to get their race bike going, and aside from that, I bet he knows everyone out there in the e-bike race biz with the need for cash right about now.

;-)


Jeff

seruzawa 05-18-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 241906)
Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx?

Heheheheheheheheh.

Kenneth_Moore 05-18-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb (Post 241909)

btw, AC and DC deliver different power curves.

If you want used electric bikes for your future shock collection, I bet it's a buyer's market now. Call Todd at Electric Motorsport/Native, and see if he has any suggestions.


;-)


Jeff

Can you expand on the AC versus DC power curve a bit? My guess would be that DC is more linear but with lower overall performance potential, and AC is spikey with greater performance potential (for a given power supply).

Ya see son, you'll just have to wait a few years to go to college; I invested your trust fund in these priceless electric race bikes, and the prices haven't quite peaked yet...

baldheadeddork 05-18-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 241906)
Where the hell is Cxzyxzxyzxyzxyx?

Look for Nick Ienatsch...um, scuffing his knee sliders.

12er 05-18-2010 09:52 AM

Either way the race was cool and I had the top two on the wrong bikes. Still was fun to watch and experience. I assume in a year or so its going to be a completely different ball game with the 4 series going on around the globe. May be small but now there is a series at least, so more back yard electrical engineers will be coming out of the woodwork. I was watching with the family of the Volt crew. They said on the last lap he had a battery pack rupture and dump battery acid on his rear tire ending his run for 4th 5 turns from the finish. It was all home built and self funded, even tig welded the box himself. I just like in this day and age you can still build something in your garage and go racing.

Kevin_Duke 05-18-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 241936)
Either way the race was cool and I had the top two on the wrong bikes. Still was fun to watch and experience. I assume in a year or so its going to be a completely different ball game with the 4 series going on around the globe. May be small but now there is a series at least, so more back yard electrical engineers will be coming out of the woodwork. I was watching with the family of the Volt crew. They said on the last lap he had a battery pack rupture and dump battery acid on his rear tire ending his run for 4th 5 turns from the finish. It was all home built and self funded, even tig welded the box himself. I just like in this day and age you can still build something in your garage and go racing.

Yeah, the racing might not be competitive yet, but the technical innovations will be interesting to watch.

seruzawa 05-18-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 241936)
I just like in this day and age you can still build something in your garage and go racing.

That's probably the best feature of electric racing. It hasn't been buried under rules yet. And it's comparatively easy to stitch an electric drive train together. It doesn't require fantastic metallurgy just to build the motor.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.