Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Honda Shadow RS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15249-2010-honda-shadow-rs-review.html)

Administrator 05-12-2010 02:10 PM

2010 Honda Shadow RS Review

Original Article:
2010 Honda Shadow RS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Honda Shadow RS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 05-12-2010 04:32 PM

Dang. Well, I'll have to admit it when Honda does something smart and brings over a bike with a reasonable footpeg position. If one wants a smaller metric cruiser it's good to have one with a seating position that isn't ridiculous.

Kenneth_Moore 05-13-2010 07:22 AM

It must be a huge savings in manufacturing cost to put that seam on the tanks. It's a nice looking bike and all, but damn, that seam just ruins it.

Dr_Sprocket 05-13-2010 03:04 PM

"The Shadow RS is a fun and unintimidating ride. At $7,799, it’s fairly affordable, but it retails for more than Harley’s 883 Sportster which starts at $6,999."

And that says it all. Who would have ever thought we'd see the day when a Japanese copy of an original would cost more? Man, how times have changed!

Kevin_Duke 05-13-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 241649)
"The Shadow RS is a fun and unintimidating ride. At $7,799, it’s fairly affordable, but it retails for more than Harley’s 883 Sportster which starts at $6,999."

And that says it all. Who would have ever thought we'd see the day when a Japanese copy of an original would cost more? Man, how times have changed!

Or that Harley would adopt EFI on the 883 before Honda did with the Shadow!

Dr_Sprocket 05-13-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 241651)
Or that Harley would adopt EFI on the 883 before Honda did with the Shadow!

Touché, my friend! Touché.

silentgrayfellow 05-13-2010 05:35 PM

I miss the days when Japanese cruisers had thier own style. Magna, Virago, Kawasaki Eliminator, Vmax, even the Madura.

Although this bike may look very Sportster-ish, I imagine it is easier to ride for noobs. Of course I always try to steer noobs away from learning how to ride on a new motorcycle regardless of displacement.

A friend of mine recently sold his 1200 Roadster to someone with some limited dirt riding experience but no on-road experience. She took the MSF course (new rider's course), got licensed, and promptly dropped the bike twice the first day causing some high-dollar damage to the tank and controls.

At least she didn't get hurt...yet...

Duken4evr 05-13-2010 05:36 PM

Pricing must be due to Dollar/Yen balance. The yen is very strong currency these days, causing prices of Japanese products to rise in our dollars. Even so, Honda has been stamping these things out forever. 8 grand seems rather expensive.

Given that, I can't see why anyone would buy one of these. Might as well buy the Sportster and the the "real deal".

DonM 05-13-2010 07:38 PM

There is something magical about the 750cc sized bike. That it is now considered a beginners bike highlights the importance of a rider safety course. Especially now that cage drivers consider themselves invulnerable, and drive without looking for anything smaller than themselves.

Kevin_Duke 05-13-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 241665)
Pricing must be due to Dollar/Yen balance. The yen is very strong currency these days, causing prices of Japanese products to rise in our dollars. Even so, Honda has been stamping these things out forever. 8 grand seems rather expensive.

Given that, I can't see why anyone would buy one of these. Might as well buy the Sportster and the the "real deal".

Good point about the yen that many often overlook.

As for whether the Sportster or the Shadowster is a better bike, we intend to find out.