Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-13-2010, 10:30 PM   #11
King Vitamin
Registered Member

I generally like Japanese cruisers. I own one and like it. But this one . . . I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me. The tank is too small, it's got a drum brake out back, the engine is way weak, and it's too expensive for what you get.

I remember when "Honda 750" meant a machine to be reckoned with. Now? It means a bike that actually makes less power than a Sportster 883, another bike that never appealed to me, either in its earlier pain-shaker or its more modern pork-meister forms.

I certainly hope other divisions of Honda are close to creating a robot Soichiro Honda with a clone of the original's brain to bring some excitement back to the company.
King Vitamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I just can't get worked up about this style in general. Too narrow minded or Luddite I guess but I'd rather ride a rat Ironhead than any new Japanese cruiser. I know a guy who has a Starmaha something or other with a decent amount of miles on it and it shows, there's rust on some fasteners and the plastichrome lost it's luster a long time ago. Seems reliable enough but just not up the standards one would expect from them.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Or that Harley would adopt EFI on the 883 before Honda did with the Shadow!
Great point! When is the carburetor going to be put on the shelf at Honda? When I ask!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Can't believe they made it look exactly like a sporster,...Yuck!
Old 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Vitamin View Post
I generally like Japanese cruisers. I own one and like it. But this one . . . I don't know, it just doesn't do anything for me. The tank is too small, it's got a drum brake out back, the engine is way weak, and it's too expensive for what you get.
And a Kawi Vulc 900 Classic retails for just $8149.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I know a guy who has a Starmaha something or other with a decent amount of miles on it and it shows, there's rust on some fasteners and the plastichrome lost it's luster a long time ago. Seems reliable enough but just not up the standards one would expect from them.
Curious to know which Starmaha. The Roadliner/Strato Stars seem to have high levels of finish quality, so I wonder if your bud's bike is one of those or a lesser model.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Curious to know which Starmaha. The Roadliner/Strato Stars seem to have high levels of finish quality, so I wonder if your bud's bike is one of those or a lesser model.

No, I think it's a Stratoliner or maybe Roadliner, the one that looks like a Road King. At any rate it's a higher end model and he rides the wheels off it all year, rain or shine. The thing was I also ride my 'Lectra Glide rain or shine all year and it seems to be keeping it's luster better. They don't salt the roads here so it's not because of that, it just doesn't seem to have held up as well. Mechanically it seems right, just appearance wise it's looking tired.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
No, I think it's a Stratoliner or maybe Roadliner, the one that looks like a Road King. At any rate it's a higher end model and he rides the wheels off it all year, rain or shine. The thing was I also ride my 'Lectra Glide rain or shine all year and it seems to be keeping it's luster better. They don't salt the roads here so it's not because of that, it just doesn't seem to have held up as well. Mechanically it seems right, just appearance wise it's looking tired.
Probably a Silverado (windshield and bags) version of a Road Star. Glad to hear your Glide is holding up better than your bud's. You got the same amount of miles?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

pretty much, I just turned 25k on mine, his is probably close

Old 05-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #20
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The Harleys do have excellent finish quality, and quality control in general. Good for HD on that front!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote