Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2010 Kawasaki Middleweight and Dual-Purpose Roundup

Original Article:
2010 Kawasaki Middleweight and Dual-Purpose Roundup

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Kawasaki Middleweight and Dual-Purpose Roundup in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Ho hum. No surprises. I do like the Versys and the KLX, though.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Duken4evr
Founding Member

You brought up the idea of a 450cc dual sport. Yamaha will do this and it will rock. Whether or not people will buy it is remains to be seen. Until then, there is always the Husky lineup. Something for everyone there. I would take a TE610 for adventure riding and off road any day over a bloated old school KLR650.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:38 AM   #4
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I would take a TE610 for adventure riding and off road any day over a bloated old school KLR650.
Yes, but would the TE610 be as competent and comfortable on the street?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Perhaps with some mods, the TE 610 would be not too far off on the street and of course it is worlds better off road. It is an old school reliable thumper, but it makes 50 hp, a lot more than the KLR, and it weighs 100 pounds less. The Husky TE 510 is competition oriented and a whole different can of worms.

Of course the TE610 costs a lot more than a KLR, but it is easily twice as cool. Check this dude out. I think he is onto something!

Husky TE610 - the new KLR? - TWT Forums

Last edited by Duken4evr : 05-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Perhaps with some mods, the TE 610 would be not too far off on the street and of course it is worlds better off road. It is an old school reliable thumper, but it makes 50 hp, a lot more than the KLR, and it weighs 100 pounds less. The Husky TE 510 is competition oriented and a whole different can of worms.

Of course the TE610 costs a lot more than a KLR, but it is easily twice as cool. Check this dude out. I think he is onto something!

Husky TE610 - the new KLR? - TWT Forums
Interesting read. Perhaps Cuddy is on to something with the whole bike weight versus horsepower argument.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
shalbleib
Founding Member

I have a KLX 400 that I love, but of course it's really thanks to Suzuki. That being said, there's definitely appeal for something in between. I can ride it an hour to the place we go woods riding, get it dirty, and ride it back. I've wanted to ride a Versys since they came out but haven't. I have a Multistrada which i love. It would be interesting to compare the two!
shalbleib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
anrajala
Founding Member

I don't like like small displacement bikes. I have always hated weak revvy motors and found 4-stroke parallel twins most despicable of the lot. However, scooting around my son's KLE500 never fails to put a grin on my face, 11000 rpm redline and all. What a hoot.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I have an '02 DRZ400S that gets ridden off road exclusively. It has 4,500 miles on it now, almost all of them on gnarly SoCal desert and rocky Colorado single track.

Checked the valves the other day in prep for this riding season, still in spec and unchanged from last year. Ho hum. It just keeps running good! I may sell it and get a WR450 down the road, but not until they have the new 4 valve backwards engine and have FI. The DRZ plenty of life left in her for off road duty, probably more than my aging body - LOL