Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 vs. Ducati Hypermotard 796

Original Article:
2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 vs. Ducati Hypermotard 796

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 vs. Ducati Hypermotard 796 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

If you swing by Race Tech and have the fork internals swapped out on the 796 would you have a clear winner? What about maint costs? I assume the valves are due every 7500 miles on the Duc? Upgrading the fork internals is a lot easier on the Duc than it is for the Aprilia to lose weight.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
If you swing by Race Tech and have the fork internals swapped out on the 796 would you have a clear winner? What about maint costs? I assume the valves are due every 7500 miles on the Duc? Upgrading the fork internals is a lot easier on the Duc than it is for the Aprilia to lose weight.
I don't think that trading about a grand for fork work makes the Duc a "clear winner". It makes it a modified winner, however. As for maintaining the Duc- I think the new interval is 10k but I bet someone can confirm it post haste.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Great Point Counter Point Video

Great Point Counter Point Video Guys. These two bikes match up well for this comparo. Both manufacturers are offering outstanding bikes across the product lines. A Motard looks like a great choice for a toolin around machine. Keep up the good work.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Still like my City-X better....err. that is the X City-X....city-city-bang bang?

Nice shoot out. I see the Fonz is back.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
Yes, the Duc has a 7500-mile valve inspection period, and Ducati claims there are less parts to replace when servicing. The new Multistrada has a 15K-mile service period.

Depending on how the Hyper 796 is ridden, the fork could be an entire non-issue. Aggressive riders, or heavy ones, would benefit from fork mods.

Picking a definitive winner from this duo is problematic because they are well matched but distinct. Short, less-aggressive riders will prefer the Hyper. Otherwise, it comes down to purely subjective feelings, and you probably already know where you stand on which bike appeals most to you.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Great Point Counter Point Video Guys. These two bikes match up well for this comparo. Both manufacturers are offering outstanding bikes across the product lines. A Motard looks like a great choice for a toolin around machine. Keep up the good work.
A 'Tard is a fun street machine, but so are their brothers, the new Monster 796 and Aprilia Shiver, which are a bit more versatile It comes down mostly to a matter of style preference.

Glad you liked the vid!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Still like my City-X better....err. that is the X City-X....city-city-bang bang?

Nice shoot out. I see the Fonz is back.
Fonz never really went anywhere. Although he's no longer on salary, we're proud to have him shoot us whenever schedules allow!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 AM   #9
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
I don't think that trading about a grand for fork work makes the Duc a "clear winner". It makes it a modified winner, however. As for maintaining the Duc- I think the new interval is 10k but I bet someone can confirm it post haste.
$1000 is nothing...........what do you think that first service is going to cost on that Duc?...............you guessed it .....about $1000.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Depending on how the Hyper 796 is ridden, the fork could be an entire non-issue. Aggressive riders, or heavy ones, would benefit from fork mods.
Define heavy. I'm 198 lbs. Does that make me heavy?