Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 vs. Ducati Hypermotard 796 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15203-2010-aprilia-dorsoduro-750-vs-ducati-hypermotard-796-a.html)

Administrator 05-07-2010 07:33 AM

2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 vs. Ducati Hypermotard 796

Original Article:
2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 vs. Ducati Hypermotard 796

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 vs. Ducati Hypermotard 796 in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SpeedwayRN 05-07-2010 08:00 AM

If you swing by Race Tech and have the fork internals swapped out on the 796 would you have a clear winner? What about maint costs? I assume the valves are due every 7500 miles on the Duc? Upgrading the fork internals is a lot easier on the Duc than it is for the Aprilia to lose weight.

acecycleins 05-07-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN (Post 241190)
If you swing by Race Tech and have the fork internals swapped out on the 796 would you have a clear winner? What about maint costs? I assume the valves are due every 7500 miles on the Duc? Upgrading the fork internals is a lot easier on the Duc than it is for the Aprilia to lose weight.

I don't think that trading about a grand for fork work makes the Duc a "clear winner". It makes it a modified winner, however. As for maintaining the Duc- I think the new interval is 10k but I bet someone can confirm it post haste.

jmdonald 05-07-2010 09:01 AM

Great Point Counter Point Video

Great Point Counter Point Video Guys. These two bikes match up well for this comparo. Both manufacturers are offering outstanding bikes across the product lines. A Motard looks like a great choice for a toolin around machine. Keep up the good work.

mscuddy 05-07-2010 01:26 PM

Still like my City-X better....err. that is the X City-X....city-city-bang bang?

Nice shoot out. I see the Fonz is back.

Kevin_Duke 05-07-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN (Post 241190)

Yes, the Duc has a 7500-mile valve inspection period, and Ducati claims there are less parts to replace when servicing. The new Multistrada has a 15K-mile service period.

Depending on how the Hyper 796 is ridden, the fork could be an entire non-issue. Aggressive riders, or heavy ones, would benefit from fork mods.

Picking a definitive winner from this duo is problematic because they are well matched but distinct. Short, less-aggressive riders will prefer the Hyper. Otherwise, it comes down to purely subjective feelings, and you probably already know where you stand on which bike appeals most to you.

Kevin_Duke 05-07-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 241194)
Great Point Counter Point Video Guys. These two bikes match up well for this comparo. Both manufacturers are offering outstanding bikes across the product lines. A Motard looks like a great choice for a toolin around machine. Keep up the good work.

A 'Tard is a fun street machine, but so are their brothers, the new Monster 796 and Aprilia Shiver, which are a bit more versatile It comes down mostly to a matter of style preference.

Glad you liked the vid!

Kevin_Duke 05-07-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 241204)
Still like my City-X better....err. that is the X City-X....city-city-bang bang?

Nice shoot out. I see the Fonz is back.

Fonz never really went anywhere. Although he's no longer on salary, we're proud to have him shoot us whenever schedules allow!

SpeedwayRN 05-08-2010 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 241192)
I don't think that trading about a grand for fork work makes the Duc a "clear winner". It makes it a modified winner, however. As for maintaining the Duc- I think the new interval is 10k but I bet someone can confirm it post haste.

$1000 is nothing...........what do you think that first service is going to cost on that Duc?...............you guessed it .....about $1000.

Dr_Sprocket 05-08-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 241208)
Depending on how the Hyper 796 is ridden, the fork could be an entire non-issue. Aggressive riders, or heavy ones, would benefit from fork mods.

Define heavy. I'm 198 lbs. Does that make me heavy?