Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #21
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
First service is at 600 miles for oil, filter and chain adjustment. The 7500-mile service that includes valve inspection will cost about $700, according to cool-dude TJ at SoCal Ducati.

On a related note, SoCal Ducati/Triumph/Victory is having a veterans appreciation promotion this weeken, including discounts for vets, music, raffles, demo rides and a bikini wash (which I presume has nothing to do with keeping bathing suits clean). Check it out if you're in the neighborhood: Southern California Triumph, Southern California Ducati and Southern California Victory. Triumph, Ducati and Victory Motorcycles, Service, Clothing, Parts and Accessories
Agreed. Depending on where you live costs may vary. As you said "valve inspection" not an adjustment. If there is any adjustments needed you will have to pay for more labor and for shims. That will cost $10~$20 per shim (up to 8 total) depending on if they are openers or closers and if you are swapping for used ones of the appropriate size or buying brand new ones. Throw in a new set of tires that you will need at around the 7500 mile mark, throttle body sync, "shop supplies" charges and taxes if applicible and your easily looking at $1k

For contrast what are the maint. costs and requirements for the Aprilia?

Last edited by SpeedwayRN : 05-08-2010 at 06:24 PM.
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Loved this review and love the bikes! I particularly liked the back-and-forth banter in the video -- made me chuckle.
Fun for us, too, Doc.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #23
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Kevin, I didn't see any claimed dry weight for the bikes? Side note my City-X had a claimed dry weight of 386 lbs. I weighed it on the scales in Sunland at the recycling center (maybe should have left it there) and it weighed 430 lbs with a half-frame of gas. Pretty good for a 998cc bike with a Sportster motor.

Probably they're around 400 lbs, right?
"The Hyper's... considerably lighter dry weight of 366 lbs compared to the Dorso’s 410-pound dry weight."

We didn't weigh the bikes ourselves, but another publication measured full-tank weights of 419 lbs for the Duc and 468 lbs for the Aprilia, showing the Dorso is a bit of a porker.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post

For contrast what are the maint. costs and requirements for the Aprilia?
It has a 12,400 valve-adjustment interval, which Motorcycle Consumer News says would cost only about $160 not including oil, filter and labor.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:23 PM   #25
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"We didn't weigh the bikes ourselves, but another publication measured full-tank weights of 419 lbs for the Duc and 468 lbs for the Aprilia, showing the Dorso is a bit of a porker."

Almost 500 lbs. for a Sooper Motard? Man, I must be living in a some anti-universe where everything that makes sense is thrown right out the window.

They could make a lighter bike, with a smaller motor, making less horsepower, and be just as fast, or faster. I really think that innovation in design has stalled out, with factories content on pumping out quasi-racers that look the part, but have the same old technology from around 1980 (the electronic gizmos and fuel injeciton not withstanding).

At close to a quarter ton, and with that seat height, slow going in traffic must be ponderous. My City-X was the same way, a few degrees of center at 5 mph and it's "abandon ship!" time.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:34 AM   #26
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The new Ducati shop in Pompano Beach has 2 of the 796's in white. The word "minimalist" comes to mind; saddle, bars, motor, wheels. It's a sweet bike, but so limited in capability that it would have to be Bike #3...
Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #27
pplassm
Founding Member

Or, bike number 18. Bwahahaha!