Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRN View Post
$1000 is nothing...........what do you think that first service is going to cost on that Duc?...............you guessed it .....about $1000.
First service is at 600 miles for oil, filter and chain adjustment. The 7500-mile service that includes valve inspection will cost about $700, according to cool-dude TJ at SoCal Ducati.

On a related note, SoCal Ducati/Triumph/Victory is having a veterans appreciation promotion this weeken, including discounts for vets, music, raffles, demo rides and a bikini wash (which I presume has nothing to do with keeping bathing suits clean). Check it out if you're in the neighborhood: Southern California Triumph, Southern California Ducati and Southern California Victory. Triumph, Ducati and Victory Motorcycles, Service, Clothing, Parts and Accessories
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Define heavy. I'm 198 lbs. Does that make me heavy?
Oh, god, I sense danger. It's like when The Wife asks if a dress makes her look fat!

Seriously, I'd say a 200-pounder would be tasking the fork. And if you're one of the faster riders in your group, you may want to do a fork/spring/preload upgrade. This could be as simple as adding a bit of preload and thicker fork oil all the way to swapping out internals for Race Tech components.

I'd recommend testing with the stock setup first. It might not be as undersprung as you think, but you won't know until you try.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Mr. Duke! Jeez, seven hundred bucks for valve adjustment!?!? I've bought whole running nice motorcycles for less than that...I don't know, call me a cheapskate, but that is kind of...err...'spensive.

But as an old riding buddy who pilots an ST4 says "The Ferrari of motorcycles" guess to ride one you have to pay.

I hate to fall back in time again, but I remember when Ducati's where ultra-rare unobtainium with funny shaped gas tanks and giant finned oil sumps. Now they're the coolest thing going. Nice to see something from Italy that doesn't blow up every few hundred feet (FIAT?).
Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Mr. Duke! Jeez, seven hundred bucks for valve adjustment!?!? I've bought whole running nice motorcycles for less than that...I don't know, call me a cheapskate, but that is kind of...err...'spensive.

But as an old riding buddy who pilots an ST4 says "The Ferrari of motorcycles" guess to ride one you have to pay.

I hate to fall back in time again, but I remember when Ducati's where ultra-rare unobtainium with funny shaped gas tanks and giant finned oil sumps. Now they're the coolest thing going. Nice to see something from Italy that doesn't blow up every few hundred feet (FIAT?).
Hey, Matt! I believe the 7500-mile service includes more than just the valve adjustment/inspection, such as oil, filter, and numerous other inspections/adjustments.

And to your falling back in time, mechanics can no longer feed their families on $10 per hour!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
Didn't they stop calling Ducati's "time bombs" sometime in the early 90s?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Hey, Matt! I believe the 7500-mile service includes more than just the valve adjustment/inspection, such as oil, filter, and numerous other inspections/adjustments.

And to your falling back in time, mechanics can no longer feed their families on $10 per hour!
People are paying $2K for routine maintenance periods on some BMWs now. $700 is a reasonable deal in this day and age.

Hard to have much sympathy though. One can always do their own maintenance.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #17
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, with ball-bearings getting blown out of exhaust pipes like a 12 gauge shooting 00 buck.

A buddy of mine had a 250 single that actually exploded bad enough to send shards of aluminum into his ankle. We called the the "250 frag" after that. Of course he never maintained it, and tried to rev it like a 50cc road racer most of the time. Then he blew up his Isetta the same way, along with his 650 Triumph. The destroyer of machinery Jeff was.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Loved this review and love the bikes! I particularly liked the back-and-forth banter in the video -- made me chuckle. I was surprised to see the Duc hang with the 'Priller on the dyno chart.

Great. Now I have to add two more bikes to "the list". These bikes are awesome!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Kevin, I didn't see any claimed dry weight for the bikes? Side note my City-X had a claimed dry weight of 386 lbs. I weighed it on the scales in Sunland at the recycling center (maybe should have left it there) and it weighed 430 lbs with a half-frame of gas. Pretty good for a 998cc bike with a Sportster motor.

Probably they're around 400 lbs, right?
Old 05-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
Duken4evr
Founding Member

These look like fun bikes! I bet the Duc sounds nicer with some cans on it. That is all I care about

Surprising the Duc really has a better power curve for the street. They have really dialed in the 2 valve motors.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote