Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Electric Motorcycles Primer (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/15117-electric-motorcycles-primer.html)

Administrator 04-28-2010 03:29 PM

Electric Motorcycles Primer

Original Article:
Electric Motorcycles Primer

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Electric Motorcycles Primer in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

TwoTwenty 04-29-2010 04:58 PM

I'm enthusiastic about this! If an electric bike can be developed with the performance of a Tesla Roadster, i'd definitely consider it.

Kevin_Duke 04-29-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTwenty (Post 240626)
I'm enthusiastic about this! If an electric bike can be developed with the performance of a Tesla Roadster, i'd definitely consider it.

Performance is nice, but they've gotta have a decent range, too. Battery technology will be key to producing viable electric vehicles.

Kenneth_Moore 04-30-2010 06:08 AM

Wow Jeff, that's a very informative, even-handed look at what's been a very controversial topic around here. I'm going to give the article a more careful reading tonight.

In the meantime: the "Native" bikes are the first E-Bikes I've seen that actually look like a real motorcycle.

On the battery topic:
Already, nanotech and other technologies related to batteries are being researched around the world, and promises of five to 11 times a Li-ion battery’s energy density are already reported, with promising news coming forth regularly.

It is this prospect of faster recharge times and massive amounts of energy in compact form that spur Zero’s Banman to speculate an electric motorcycle that will match the capabilities of a gasoline-powered sportbike could be produced sooner than some think.

I'm sure entire article could be devoted to that.

Kevin_Duke 04-30-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 240642)

On the battery topic:
Already, nanotech and other technologies related to batteries are being researched around the world, and promises of five to 11 times a Li-ion battery’s energy density are already reported, with promising news coming forth regularly.

It is this prospect of faster recharge times and massive amounts of energy in compact form that spur Zero’s Banman to speculate an electric motorcycle that will match the capabilities of a gasoline-powered sportbike could be produced sooner than some think.

Astute as usual, KM. The e-bike debate has lots of angles, and exploring battery tech is planned for a future article. Jeff's excellent research skills will soon make him (and MO) a leader in e-bike knowledge. Stay tuned, cuz this subject is sure to create many waves throughout the industry, and we want to be on top of it all.

acecycleins 04-30-2010 10:45 AM

I need about 150 miles to be considered a viable purchase. That's the route we take for our mid-week rides. When you can ride at a sustained 70mph and clock those 150 miles I will look toward the future.

Kevin_Duke 04-30-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acecycleins (Post 240669)
I need about 150 miles to be considered a viable purchase. That's the route we take for our mid-week rides. When you can ride at a sustained 70mph and clock those 150 miles I will look toward the future.

I agree. I predict we'll have that in about 3 years from now. Maybe 4...

Jeff Cobb 04-30-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 240642)
Wow Jeff, that's a very informative, even-handed look at what's been a very controversial topic around here. I'm going to give the article a more careful reading tonight.

In the meantime: the "Native" bikes are the first E-Bikes I've seen that actually look like a real motorcycle.

On the battery topic:

Thanks Ken! There is much to learn on this whole topic, which is comprised of a lot of related topics. I don't have a crystal ball into the future of these issues, but do attempt to see clearly - and report - what is before my eyes, when possible.

TheCycleGuy 05-05-2010 10:02 PM

Wow, 150 mile range at freeway speeds in 3 or 4 years? That will be great to see, if they can make it affordable. I recently rode a Zero, and while I was impressed by how much it really acted like a motorcycle, the performance wasn't stellar. I wonder how much we'll miss the sound of today's bikes?

Kevin_Duke 05-06-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCycleGuy (Post 241069)
Wow, 150 mile range at freeway speeds in 3 or 4 years? That will be great to see, if they can make it affordable. I recently rode a Zero, and while I was impressed by how much it really acted like a motorcycle, the performance wasn't stellar. I wonder how much we'll miss the sound of today's bikes?

Nice to have you with us, Tim! Lots more to come on this subject.