Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #21
fonzie
Contributing Staff

MO has only a staff of 3, think maybe thats the reason? Why no concours?!?!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
Jeff Cobb
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldheadeddork View Post
Jeff, any reason the SV650 and/or Gladius wasn't included?
I think Kevin answered it. I've been out of town on assignment. Riding the Kawi Ninja 650R, ER-6N, and Versys.

fyi, while anyone's discussing what could've been reviewed, or might have been, the Versys may not quite fit here either, but is a cool bike too, and would work as an all-arounder quite well. Handles great, and as an extra added bonus, it'll lift the front wheel in 2nd with a little clutch slip. It has different cams for more midrange, but still winds out alright.

Triumph 2.3 Cruiser
Jeff Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #23
ihawkeye
Founding Member

Default 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump58 View Post
Heavy sigh... The 06 EX has 53K on it, expect 70 by the end of the year. Ya know with emulators and a custom shock it hasn't been to bad, still gotta work on the high speed compression damping in the back. Don't know if these bikes can run hard bags or run all the electrics, I imagine so. This nonsense of no centerstands though.... When I wake up from my KTM, Ducati, Guzzi dreams I'll probably be looking at the Yamaha or something like it.
I have an 06 Ninja 650 R. I bought GIvi hard cases for it, added braided brake lines and upgraded pads, and installed a Micron Exhaust and header system, with a Power Commander, and had it dyno-tuned. I got 69.5 max hp@ 8650 RPM, and 46 Ft. lbs. of torque @ 7200 rpm. But at 5,000 rpm, I got 6 more horsepower and torque than the stock reading, with no flat spots, so the bike performs so much nicer on the street than stock. And I kept the baffles in the exhaust, and it still has a great growl when on the throttle, but purrs along for cruising. It's a great sport tourer and I don't need anything more powerful.

I have also ridden both the Yamaha and Suzuki, and liked both of those bikes as well, but I'm short legged and the Kawasaki just suits me better, and I like the lower weight and handling of the Kawi.

Hawkeye
ihawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihawkeye View Post
I have an 06 Ninja 650 R. I bought GIvi hard cases for it, added braided brake lines and upgraded pads, and installed a Micron Exhaust and header system, with a Power Commander, and had it dyno-tuned. I got 69.5 max hp@ 8650 RPM, and 46 Ft. lbs. of torque @ 7200 rpm. But at 5,000 rpm, I got 6 more horsepower and torque than the stock reading, with no flat spots, so the bike performs so much nicer on the street than stock. And I kept the baffles in the exhaust, and it still has a great growl when on the throttle, but purrs along for cruising. It's a great sport tourer and I don't need anything more powerful.

I have also ridden both the Yamaha and Suzuki, and liked both of those bikes as well, but I'm short legged and the Kawasaki just suits me better, and I like the lower weight and handling of the Kawi.

Hawkeye
Nice mods, Hawkeye, to make a good bike better.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #25
dankatz
Registered Member

Excellent tasy mods! I think one thing to keep in mind with these comparisons (which was nicely put in the article) is that all of these are decent bikes and may have slightly different strengths. For example, the Suzuki is most likley the best tourer due to it's weight, size, and slightly larger tank. The Kawasaki probably best for someone who does mostly city riding and shorter legged people. Etc.... Great article overall. Now, need to figure out if there is an easy way to increase my FZ6 torque instead of the strong top end
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Excellent tasy mods! I think one thing to keep in mind with these comparisons (which was nicely put in the article) is that all of these are decent bikes and may have slightly different strengths. For example, the Suzuki is most likley the best tourer due to it's weight, size, and slightly larger tank. The Kawasaki probably best for someone who does mostly city riding and shorter legged people. Etc.... Great article overall. Now, need to figure out if there is an easy way to increase my FZ6 torque instead of the strong top end
Thanks for the kudos. Yeah, the original FZ6's main flaws are abrupt clutch engagement and minimal low-end power. Otherwise, it's a great bike! I wonder if the FZ6R cams would work in the FZ6. A Power Commander or other EFI box could improve low-end response, too.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Thanks for the kudos. Yeah, the original FZ6's main flaws are abrupt clutch engagement and minimal low-end power. Otherwise, it's a great bike! I wonder if the FZ6R cams would work in the FZ6. A Power Commander or other EFI box could improve low-end response, too.
An even better way to improve the FZ6's performance is to trade it for a Street Triple. Heh heh.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #28
arless
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Original Article:
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650 vs. 2009 Suzuki GSX650F vs. 2010 Yamaha FZ6R

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650 vs. 2009 Suzuki GSX650F vs. 2010 Yamaha FZ6R in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
I think all three bikes have a lot of power, I have a lot of experience on early model Honda 350/450, Yamaha 650 all twin cylinder bikes. I have not rode a motorcycle since the mid 80's. So... point being, I am thinking of purchasing a Yamaha FZ6R and hopefully keep it for the rest of my life, as my only motorcycle. I am 57 years young and I used to love knocking about on a bike. I have done my research and when a 600cc motorcycle can out run a new Corvette from 0-100 mph?? why on earth would you want anymore for the public streets. If I was flooded with money I would have a race oriented motorcycle ( not for the street). Even these 600 to 650cc bikes are as fast as the 900 to 1100cc yesteryear motorcycles. Even so, I will have to crawl again as the page suggest before I can walk and so forth. love to read about this kind of stuff keep it up MO.

Last edited by arless : 10-18-2011 at 04:09 PM.
arless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #29
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by arless View Post
I think all three bikes have a lot of power, I have a lot of experience on early model Honda 350/450, Yamaha 650 all twin cylinder bikes. I have not rode a motorcycle since the mid 80's. So... point being, I am thinking of purchasing a Yamaha FZ6R and hopefully keep it for the rest of my life, as my only motorcycle. I am 57 years young and I used to love knocking about on a bike. I have done my research and when a 600cc motorcycle can out run a new Corvette from 0-100 mph?? why on earth would you want anymore for the public streets. If I was flooded with money I would have a race oriented motorcycle ( not for the street). Even these 600 to 650cc bikes are as fast as the 900 to 1100cc yesteryear motorcycles. Even so, I will have to crawl again as the page suggest before I can walk and so forth. love to read about this kind of stuff keep it up MO.
Yep, you're right. These so-called entry-level models have more performance than bikes from the 1970s. Although no one needs more performance, I love having the option!