Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
Beer Baron
Registered Member

This was exactly the type of article I was looking for. I have been on the fence between the 650r and the GSX650F for about six months. I was really being swayed towards the Suzuki from all the articles I have read about it, especially the smooth power, big touring tank and great instrument cluster. My heart has always been with the Kawasaki but during my test ride I really didn't like the vibration from the motor or the lousy digital display. If the Suzuki has a buzzy motor as well then I'll get the Ninja as I can adapt to the gauges. Out of all the bikes I think the Kawasaki is by far the best looking.

1984 Honda Nighthawk cb650sc
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
motomonkey
Registered Member

Default Beginners Bikes

Beginners -

Not to beat the long-dead horse, but I would argue that these bikes, all with 60+ hp, are still much to powerful for you. It would be great to have more beginners become experienced riders. 60 hp is simply too much when a rider is trying to remember which lever is the brake and which is the clutch.

My advice to beginners is.

1. Take training course.
2. Buy appropriate gear (as you mentioned), including, of course, a full face helmet.
3. Get license.
4. Buy used Ninja 250 for $1900.
5. Ride Ninja 250 for one year. Learn braking, turn initiation, shifting, parking lot maneuvers, maintenance, etc. Enjoy being one of the few riders out there that doesn't appear to be addressing a "length" problem.
6. Fix damage from 10 mph low-side that resulted from that pile of gravel that was "impossible" to see.
7. Sell Ninja 250 for $1700 to the next new rider.
8. Buy a 650 class bike and enjoy.

Thumbs up to all the novices and good luck. I look forward to seeing you out there!
motomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb View Post
T
Last year I showed up at a gathering on my 98 R1. A 19 yr-old said he thought the bike looked really cool, and was thinking of getting an R6 or Hayabusa as his first street bike, though he has zero experience of any kind.

I told him to get a 250 Ninja, maybe a 500, and carefully, and diplomatically told him about realities. After my best effort, he replied, "Man, thanks, but you know, the more you tell me stuff about how dangerous it could be, and all that, the more I want to do it ..."

What do you say to someone like that?

"Will you fill out this life insurance form naming me as your beneficiary please"....

I started street riding on a 250 Bulataco Matador that I turned into a Cafe` Racer by reversing the clip on's and taking off the silencer/ spark arrestor. My dad just about killed me because it was his bike.

I used to wear an Army surplus Field Jacket with a permanent oil stain from the plastic pop bottle of Blendzall I kept in the pocket measured for two or three gallons of gas....I think people used to talk about me behind my back in High School....

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
dankatz
Registered Member

Agree with previous comments that it is best to start on a smaller bike that is used and pre-dropped. I have been eyeing the GSX650F mostly because of it's torque. I don't see any dyno results, but from other magazines it trums th FZ6R easily andon partial throttle better than the Ninja650. I wonder how my 2008 FZ6 would compare to these...I suppose my bike is a bit more of a hooligan bike, but in the city I would gladly trade more low end torque for high end power.
dankatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Agree with previous comments that it is best to start on a smaller bike that is used and pre-dropped. I have been eyeing the GSX650F mostly because of it's torque. I don't see any dyno results, but from other magazines it trums th FZ6R easily andon partial throttle better than the Ninja650. I wonder how my 2008 FZ6 would compare to these...I suppose my bike is a bit more of a hooligan bike, but in the city I would gladly trade more low end torque for high end power.
Regarding the dyno chart, you just needed to click on the photo link at the bottom of the page to see hp and torque graphs. Here's the horsepower one: http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/ga...no-hp.jpg.html
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
dankatz
Registered Member

Great! Thanks for pointing it out to me. This is what I suspected - the GSX650F trounces the other ones in terms of torque and has a very flat curve. by 3500rpm it makes almost as much as the peak torque of the Yamaha. I am sure that this is felt while riding...I guess it does have some more weight to beark, but I supose it makes for a more relaxed ride.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
baldheadeddork
Founding Member

Jeff, any reason the SV650 and/or Gladius wasn't included?
baldheadeddork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #18
dankatz
Registered Member

I'd guess because the SV650SF is an older model which is at the end of its life span. Also, it is a much sportier seating position. The gladius is naked and all the other ones are fully faired.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
baldheadeddork
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
I'd guess because the SV650SF is an older model which is at the end of its life span. Also, it is a much sportier seating position. The gladius is naked and all the other ones are fully faired.
Doesn't make sense. Age shouldn't be that much of an issue. All of these are parts bin specials developed from older models. The seating position of the SV-S isn't that much sportier than these three, and naked v. faired is a helluva lot smaller than twin vs. four.

The SV is still competitive on price, weight and performance - and it's been the chief rival to the Ninja 650 from day one. Would have been nice to see if the Ninja (finally) measured up.
baldheadeddork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldheadeddork View Post
Jeff, any reason the SV650 and/or Gladius wasn't included?
Here's the Gladius and its natural competitor (disregard the title!): American Ride documentary needs footage

The SV650 (now available only in a faired versino) has a much racier riding position. It could have been thrown into this shootout, but its ergos definitely set it apart.

More evidence of the above comes in the form of this shootou (disregard the title!)t: Working on your own bike, things to know!

The SV650S is a sportbike. The Ninja is a sporty bike. Most of what we said in the Ninja/SV comparo would remain consistent even with the Kawi's recent updates. The current SV's intent is a little different than that of the FZ/GSX/Ninja. It would've won this shootout if you want a sportbike. It would finish last if you wanted more comfort and versatility.

Last edited by Kevin_Duke : 04-28-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote