Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
figgy
Registered Member

Default 2006 Suzuki C90T or 2006 Kaw Vulcan 900lt

I have narrowed my search down to these 2 bikes based on (among other things), appearance and price range. I have very little experience riding mid-size cruisers but did ride the Suzuki today. The bike was nice and the price was fair but I'm wondering how it would compare with the Kawasaki vulcan 900 LT?
Appearance and comfort are most important to me. Note that both of these bike are full dressed from the factory (which I like). I could go with '07's or maybe '08's too based on price as I think all of those years in these bikes are very similar.
Anyone with experience with both of these bikes? Opinions welcomed but please tell me WHY you would chose one over the other.
BTW, the Suzuki is shaft and the Kaw is belt driven.

Thanks
Figgy

Last edited by figgy : 04-25-2010 at 05:35 PM.
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool Which one fits your experience level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgy View Post
I have narrowed my search down to these 2 bikes based on (among other things), appearance and price range. I have very little experience riding mid-size cruisers but did ride the Suzuki today. The bike was nice and the price was fair but I'm wondering how it would compare with the Kawasaki vulcan 900 LT?
Appearance and comfort are most important to me. Note that both of these bike are full dressed from the factory (which I like). I could go with '07's or maybe '08's too based on price as I think all of those years in these bikes are very similar.
Anyone with experience with both of these bikes? Opinions welcomed but please tell me WHY you would chose one over the other.
BTW, the Suzuki is shaft and the Kaw is belt driven.

Thanks
Figgy

C90T Ups
1. Hydraukic lifters no valve adjustment
2. Shaft Driven
3. Very well balanced for its size
4. Easily accessible battery
5. Good power

C90T Downs
1. Small tank
2. Cheap chrome must be garage kept
3. Bags dont hold up in rain after many miles and not garage kept

VN900LT Ups
1. Cheaper than C90T
2. Belt driven
3. Lighter than the C90T
4. Good power for size

VN900LT Downs
1. C50T is cheaper,lighter feel, same power.
2. Valve adjustment required
3. Less leg room
4. Belt driven
5. Chrome must be garage kept

My only question is why such a big difference in engine size. Match it to your skill level not apperance and comfort. Sure the Suzuki is easy to handle in ideal situations but how well can you handle that big of a bike in the worst situations. Good Luck let us now.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
figgy
Registered Member

OOPS! My mistake I meant C50T, not C90T
Sorry
figgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
jeff10236
Registered Member

I recently bought my first bike and after looking at just about everything, in the end it was between those two. I liked the fit of the Vulcan a little better, I liked the look of the Vulcan a tad better (the slightly trimmer tank and fenders appealed to me), but I bought the C50 Special Edition. For me this was a first bike (I know that people around here don't generally approve of going that big for a first bike, and on other forums the 800-900cc class seems to be about the biggest they suggest) so what I read about handling was important. Both are similar in power, but it sounds like the C50 may be a little more forgiving and is easier to handle like a smaller bike while having the comfort of a mid-sized bike. Both were well rated in general, and both seem to be well rated for beginners, but the C50 seemed a little better as a beginners bike (so if you aren't a beginner, this aspect may be a non-issue). Also, the shaft drive v. the Vulcan's belt is less maintenance intensive, and the mag wheels on the Special Edition v. the spokes of the Vulcan means no tube (I don't know how big an advantage that really is, but it seems like an advantage). Still, if they hadn't just sold their last 2009 Vulcan Classic in the burnt orange color I would have bought that instead (another dealer that had one about 50 miles away sold theirs the next day when I checked).

To my mind, they are both great bikes. I liked the Vulcan a bit better, but the Suzuki was a slightly better value. Either way I don't think you can go wrong.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 04-25-2010 at 08:23 PM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote