Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

Default Old HD or newer Metric???

Being new to the world of motorcycles im getting conflicting advice on what i should get.

I know HD's are more expensive and have a reputation of poor reliability, but its hard to find unbiased opinions on matter, are they that bad? Im looking for a used rig, in the 5000$ and below range to figure out what i like. Also, i haven't owned a car for a little over 3 years, i am told that even though im 31 and drove cars since i was 18, i would be considered a new driver from an insurer's point of view, so an older bike would be cheaper to insure.

Anyways, by the looks of it i could get a 1994-95'ish Harley Fat Boy or a 2003-04'ish V-star for roughly the same price. I am a huge fan of the Fat Boy and have been wanting one for a long time, but i could get by with a Fat Boy wannabe if the price is right and you guys think a 15 years old Harley is just too much trouble.

Thanks guys.
Tonka Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Kid View Post
Anyways, by the looks of it i could get a 1994-95'ish Harley Fat Boy or a 2003-04'ish V-star for roughly the same price. I am a huge fan of the Fat Boy and have been wanting one for a long time, but i could get by with a Fat Boy wannabe if the price is right and you guys think a 15 years old Harley is just too much trouble.

Thanks guys.
I don't know where you are shopping, but it's highly unlikely you'll find a decent Fat Boy for $5000. I just did a quick search on fleabay, and there are 90 Fat Boys on But It Now auctions. Not one come within 60% of $5000. If five large is your budget, better look to a Sporty or a metric cruiser.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
12er
Founding Member

and if your a new rider, read the new rider sticky before buying anything.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
A Star Ride
Registered Member

That was my thought a fat boy isn"t a beginner bike, not for an 18 yr old or a 31 yr old that hasn't been in cage traffic in 3 years.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

I read the sticky, i know 1600 cc is big for a newbie, funny how everyone on the net is saying one thing and in real life another, but ill see how i feel after i finished my courses... anyways.

The problem i find is that its hard to find a older Fat Boy without 10k's worth of crap i don't need added on it, and i can understand whoever is selling is looking to sell the extras with it, but id LOVE to find one stock.
The only one i found was a 2001 at 5500$, nothing added and great condition, but its miles away.

Anyone could enlighten me on the pros and cons of buying an older HD? maybe a year in particular i should avoid?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Kid View Post
I read the sticky, i know 1600 cc is big for a newbie, funny how everyone on the net is saying one thing and in real life another, but ill see how i feel after i finished my courses... anyways.

The problem i find is that its hard to find a older Fat Boy without 10k's worth of crap i don't need added on it, and i can understand whoever is selling is looking to sell the extras with it, but id LOVE to find one stock.
The only one i found was a 2001 at 5500$, nothing added and great condition, but its miles away.

Anyone could enlighten me on the pros and cons of buying an older HD? maybe a year in particular i should avoid?
Well, I started on smaller bikes in real life and I recommend the same for everyone. No offense, but if you insist on starting on a 700 pound bike then good luck to ya.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I learned to ride on a 100cc Hodaka, about as lightweight and simple a bike as you can find.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The common misconception with new riders is that they equate riding a bike (before the ever begin) that its somehow similar to a car.As you probably already know accident's are much more common with a beginner rider until they get some serious miles under their belt.

You pick your first motorcycle baised on your experience, and when you dont have any you start small. Remember aswell the power on the wannabe bikes as you call them are much higher than the Harleys.

People who have started to big will always tell you to start to big, determine how many accidents they havehad when they stared. Some who doesnt cre bout you will always give idiotic advice.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

I'm not gonna get an answer to my question am i?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I learned to ride on a 100cc Hodaka, about as lightweight and simple a bike as you can find.
A 150cc Honda for me. I lied and said I could ride and the guy was nice enough to let me take it. I didn't want to give it back...