Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #31
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorius View Post
I'm not even sure who to quote here, but I want to make sure I get it right. If there's a website with statistics or something, just show me the way.

Is there any significant reliability difference between HD and Japanese bikes (or Triumph, Victory, etc.) other than what a ham-fisted clod does to the machine?

I've heard jokes about HDs, especially about leaking oil.
The new Harleys have just as good reliability as the Japanese manufacturers. I believe (pretty sure on this one) that Victory had the highest customer satisfaction scores last year, as compared to all other manufacturers. I remember reading something about that, don't remember where, though. Nowadays, you can find decent bikes at just about any dealership, be that Triumph, Ducati or even Harley.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #32
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Honestly, he's right it's hard to find a bad bike these days. Mesaning new bikes. Only difference with used is how the prior owner maintaned it American or Japanese.

Isnt trying to find your first bike like playing pin the tail on the Donkey sometimes, for some people.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #33
sartorius
Registered Member

Cool! So whenabouts did everyone get their act together? This is opening options for my next bike down the road, which will likely be used.

Also, it's telling me not to jump on a (certain brand) criticism bandwagon:
"Hah! Well, your expensive bike leaks oil!"
"No, they haven't leaked oil since 19--."
"Um...uh, sorry for being a douche."
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I'v spent countless hours directing people on which bike to choose for their first bike only to come to find them bringing it back in to trade for a completely opposite type of or catagory of motorcycle.

The classic example is the customer in the midlife crisis that doesnt now how to ride or what he wants.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:01 PM   #35
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorius View Post
Cool! So whenabouts did everyone get their act together? This is opening options for my next bike down the road, which will likely be used.
Glad to see you're sticking around, Sartorius. It's good to have the newer (or returning) rider's input and perspective.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #36
sartorius
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket View Post
Glad to see you're sticking around, Sartorius. It's good to have the newer (or returning) rider's input and perspective.
Thanks, Doc! The folks here seem to be a wealth of knowledge, and they're active enough on the board to keep it alive. I'll be asking a very n00b question in a minute in "Learning..."

To follow up on what I posted earlier today, I searched teh interwebz and this is the only source I found in the first several pages of hits:
Motorcycle Reliability Survey Results - UK from Bikes in the Fast Lane - Daily Motorcycle News

And I'm too stupid to realize what the percentages mean. Okay, so I'm guessing this is more reliable than that. Does that go for '04 models, '00+ models or what? The Dept. of Education oversaw my learnin', so I'm at a disadvantage. Hmm...maybe if I just keep things to '04 or newer it doesn't matter. Regardless, there's at least a year before this becomes personally relevant.

MOKE1K, I know what you mean. I was a certain cruiser guy as anyone who knows me would guess, got converted to the 250R craze via this site among several others, then eloped with a cute GS500F.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #37
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Let us know what you choose either way you'll be happy Iam sure.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #38
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

Somewhat unrelated question, but still in the realm of new riders, i read a lot of US forums and see a lot of people ENCOURAGE new riders to take a safety course or something along those line, am i to understand that in the US you are not obligated to go through training before you get your license? They just hand them out? Im in Quebec and getting a license is not only a year long ordeal, but also roughly 1000$ of courses and tests, an extra 68$ a year on your drivers license fee's and 700$ a year for the plate (1400$ if its a speed bike).
Tonka Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #39
A Star Ride
Registered Member

u said $700 a year for a plate? I'm so glad I don't live in a big city.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #40
sartorius
Registered Member

I'm not sure if it's different in other states, but in Ohio:
learner's permit: requires a written test and is good for a year
motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license: requires an appointment so you can be tested on maneuvering skill, is good as long as you renew your license

A motorcycle safety course is a 4 day training program that goes over everything required for both, and passing it can give you a discount on some insurance. Frankly, I don't know why people don't just jump at the chance. It's cheap (depending on public or private course: $25-$350)) and it's fun. Maybe it's the time commitment or something.

So, $1000 for courses? Okay, I can see some for the instructor's time (assuming that's not covered by taxes) and use of the bikes, but it seems high. Maybe your courses are more in-depth, and includes our optional advanced courses. I completely believe you, but...*shivers*

Like A Star Ride said, $700/year for a plate?! Does someone visit your bike twice daily to polish it? Where does that money go? My mind = boggled.