Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Kid View Post
I love Harleys, i know i will end up riding a Harley sooner or later, just wish it was sooner.

So other than a Sportster (its hard to spend money on something you don't really like), what would be a good Harley for a new rider of my size?
Something in line with a Star 1100 maybe, the classic is a blatant Fat Boy imitation, im gonna call that plan B... I love the softails, but theres no beginners softail at HD, so i guess that if a want the look in lower CC's ill have to go metric...
I keep recommending that guys look at the Triumph cruisers, the America and the Speedmaster. Top notch brakes, lighter weight, better performance than V-twins of much larger displacement. Plus better resale than metrics. And still relatively rare.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #22
12er
Founding Member

@ 6'4" cruisers arent for you. I'm 6'6" and a sub 24" seat height is just wrong. Unless your one of those with a abnormally long body and stubby legs. Forward controls for me still shoot my knee's up to interfere with the bars. With the right parts catalog and maybe 3x your budget you can make a cruiser fit you alright. A nighthawk 750 sounds more in your budget and size constraints.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Kid View Post
I love Harleys, i know i will end up riding a Harley sooner or later, just wish it was sooner.

So other than a Sportster (its hard to spend money on something you don't really like), what would be a good Harley for a new rider of my size?
Something in line with a Star 1100 maybe, the classic is a blatant Fat Boy imitation, im gonna call that plan B... I love the softails, but theres no beginners softail at HD, so i guess that if a want the look in lower CC's ill have to go metric...
The Fat Boy is a wonderful starter bike! Go for the Fat Boy. You won't regret it. Besides, if it breaks then you'll just get a chance to hone your mechanical skills (or beer buying skills if you have your buddy fix it).

Is that what you hoped to hear?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

That Nighthawk 750 is a great recommendation.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #25
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12er View Post
@ 6'4" cruisers arent for you. I'm 6'6" and a sub 24" seat height is just wrong. Unless your one of those with a abnormally long body and stubby legs. Forward controls for me still shoot my knee's up to interfere with the bars. With the right parts catalog and maybe 3x your budget you can make a cruiser fit you alright. A nighthawk 750 sounds more in your budget and size constraints.

Well the Star Classic has 28" seat height, and no stubby legs "unfortunately" 34" inseams. I tried one and im sure that with the controls 2" forwards and a seat that brings me back an inch i would be fine, but theres no way to tell until the bike is bought and parts installed. As for the Nighthawk, its not really the kind of bike i want to ride, but ill keep your recommendations in mind.

seruzawa, ill try to find a Triumph dealer somewhere and try them on for size, not a bad looking bike.
Tonka Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 AM   #26
pplassm
Founding Member

Good, then take a ride on a Speed Triple, You'll never look at a cruiser again!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #27
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
In their defense, most of the Japanese-bike problems have been from some ham-fisted clod's "performance mods" as well........

Well I will give you that, most problems are self inflicted. Or else the ol' "sitting under a plastic tarp in a swamp for twenty years, why won't it start?" scenario

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You gotta remember: Cruisers have about a 28-30 inch seat hight until 12er sits on one and then it's 24".

Once he's done riding it, the seat height is 12".

Hence the name "12er."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #29
sartorius
Registered Member

I'm not even sure who to quote here, but I want to make sure I get it right. If there's a website with statistics or something, just show me the way.

Is there any significant reliability difference between HD and Japanese bikes (or Triumph, Victory, etc.) other than what a ham-fisted clod does to the machine?

I've heard jokes about HDs, especially about leaking oil.
sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 PM   #30
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Each manufacturers website should have seat height, bar width specs, etc. I'd say quality among the bike brands are about equivelant to comparing ford chevy dodge, toyota, nissan & honda. All making quality products, and most bike buyers really don't run a bike enough to identify a real problem if there was one. It's easy to pick on H-D for oil leaks but during that era, 9 of 10 motorcycles you found were Harleys, and most anything mechanical, espescially smaller scale leaked