Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Kid View Post
I'm not gonna get an answer to my question am i?
Sure, we'll tell you whatever you want to hear.......

"what should I buy" is so subjective there really is no way we would be able to answer. If you want my opinion then of the choices you mentioned I'd go buy a nice stock low mile 883 or 1200 Sportster.

If you simply asked my opinion then I'd tell you to get a Triumph Bonneville, they're lightweight, decent performance and handling and less expensive.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

If you want a reliable Harley, buy a newer model. If you don't have the money for that and you want something similar to a Fat Boy, buy a Japanese version, like a Vulcan. However, starting out with a big bike like that is a stupid thing to do. That answer your question for you?
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

For that matter a 15 year old HD is not likely to be trouble. Like anything you need some mechanical experience for older machinery. But HDs are easy to work on and not throwaways like Japanese machinery.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #14
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Get the Harley. That's what you want to hear. If you get a Fat Boy, good luck. When you drop it, you're not gonna be able to pick it up without help.

Have Fun!!
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

Hehe, i do appreciate the all the concerns over my well being, to be honest i couldn't care less about power, if you could cripple the engine down to 700 cc i would do it, but as far as i know its not possible...

As for lifting the bike up when i drop it, ive been body building for 8 years and can squat a little over half a Fat Boy, which isn't that great for a guy my size, but im pretty sure i can lift it back on its wheels by myself, ill drop one and let you know.

Anyways, my main concern is that there doesn't seem to be any in between, they either hate Harleys mainly because of their poor reliability, or hate metrics because they ain't Harleys, so either way im not getting good advice, which is why im here.

So basically my question is this, are 1990's Fat Boys reliable? Would i spend my time in the shop?
Tonka Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Sure, we'll tell you whatever you want to hear.......

"what should I buy" is so subjective there really is no way we would be able to answer. If you want my opinion then of the choices you mentioned I'd go buy a nice stock low mile 883 or 1200 Sportster.

If you simply asked my opinion then I'd tell you to get a Triumph Bonneville, they're lightweight, decent performance and handling and less expensive.
I haven't sat on a Sportster yet, but at 6'4" 250 pounds i feel cramped on my fathers Road Star... You think i could modify one of those for my size?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:10 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka Kid View Post
Hehe, i do appreciate the all the concerns over my well being, to be honest i couldn't care less about power, if you could cripple the engine down to 700 cc i would do it, but as far as i know its not possible...

As for lifting the bike up when i drop it, ive been body building for 8 years and can squat a little over half a Fat Boy, which isn't that great for a guy my size, but im pretty sure i can lift it back on its wheels by myself, ill drop one and let you know.

Anyways, my main concern is that there doesn't seem to be any in between, they either hate Harleys mainly because of their poor reliability, or hate metrics because they ain't Harleys, so either way im not getting good advice, which is why im here.

So basically my question is this, are 1990's Fat Boys reliable? Would i spend my time in the shop?
The "unreliable Harley" crap you hear is BS. If you question whoever you hear it from you will find that the person heard it from someone else who heard it from someone else... etc. I've had worse trouble with Hondas than Harleys. We get far more guys with Japanese bikes needing help with reliability issues on this site than Harley guys.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
The "unreliable Harley" crap you hear is BS. If you question whoever you hear it from you will find that the person heard it from someone else who heard it from someone else... etc. I've had worse trouble with Hondas than Harleys. We get far more guys with Japanese bikes needing help with reliability issues on this site than Harley guys.

Very true, I can't remember the last person who asked for help regarding a Harley issue. I've owned 7 of them and haven't had any issues other than normal wear and tear. Keep one stock and they're as reliable if not more so than anything out there.

When you hear about Harleys being unreliable it's usually from someone who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...that or some ham-fisted clod who's "performance mods" didn't quite turn out. As further proof go to any motorcycle wrecking yard and count the Harleys there.....

Believe what you want to believe, in my opinion you're not going to find a Fat Boy for $5 grand and it would not be my choice for a first bike because of the weight and cost of repairing the damage you will most likely inflict learning how to ride.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Very true, I can't remember the last person who asked for help regarding a Harley issue. I've owned 7 of them and haven't had any issues other than normal wear and tear. Keep one stock and they're as reliable if not more so than anything out there.

When you hear about Harleys being unreliable it's usually from someone who heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...that or some ham-fisted clod who's "performance mods" didn't quite turn out. As further proof go to any motorcycle wrecking yard and count the Harleys there.....

Believe what you want to believe, in my opinion you're not going to find a Fat Boy for $5 grand and it would not be my choice for a first bike because of the weight and cost of repairing the damage you will most likely inflict learning how to ride.
In their defense, most of the Japanese-bike problems have been from some ham-fisted clod's "performance mods" as well........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
Tonka Kid
Registered Member

I love Harleys, i know i will end up riding a Harley sooner or later, just wish it was sooner.

So other than a Sportster (its hard to spend money on something you don't really like), what would be a good Harley for a new rider of my size?
Something in line with a Star 1100 maybe, the classic is a blatant Fat Boy imitation, im gonna call that plan B... I love the softails, but theres no beginners softail at HD, so i guess that if a want the look in lower CC's ill have to go metric...