Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #21
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Matt's Exploding Motor Log:

'68 Go Devil-1

'67 Honda CB450-2

'69 ATIMX-1

'73 Jawa Trail 90-1

'71 Honda CB100-1

'39 HD 61 cu.in. Knuckle-1,2,3,4 times!

'70 Triumph C-20 250-2

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
From a Honda website: "We will never copy any other design from another motorcycle manufacturer." Sochiro Honda c. 1967.
Great quote, Matt! Honda is a different company since Soichiro died...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

If I were going to throw down coin for a cruiser, it would have to be the new Triumph Thunderbird or one from the Victory lineup (maybe a Wide Glide at a stretch). This Honda's not bad looking, but the tank seam really throws me off. Blech!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #24
Schwack
Registered Member

The Thunderbird looks nice but too much cc for me. That's why I was looking forward to the Sabre review. Looking for an entry bike, max of 1300cc and the $10k range.

I want the Fury but it's not one of the models that is available for the 1.99% finance rate.....so I'll look at the Stateline.
Schwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #25
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwack View Post
The Thunderbird looks nice but too much cc for me. That's why I was looking forward to the Sabre review. Looking for an entry bike, max of 1300cc and the $10k range.

I want the Fury but it's not one of the models that is available for the 1.99% finance rate.....so I'll look at the Stateline.
Lots of good bikes in your range including the Vulcan 900 and V-Star 950. Another step up is the nice V-Star 1300.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwack View Post

Another option in a cruiser, and one that is less ubiquitous, would be one of the Triumph 900s. The Bonneville America or the Speedmaster have the advantages of a lot of upgrades and support that few Japanese cruisers can provide. Triumph's have proven workable performance improvements and even boxstock will out-handle any metric cruiser because of the lower weight, better brakes & shorter wheelbase. At a 550 wet weight they are lighter than the Japanese 750/800s. Even though they are 900cc-class the parallel twin engines give the power of much larger V-twins in a smaller package. Certainly they are worth a look. The Speedmaster especially looks pretty sharp in person.

Last edited by seruzawa : 04-22-2010 at 11:09 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #27
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

And the new ones are fuel-injected.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

I found the plastic vs. metal discussion in the article quite interesting. I hate plastic chrome...it will eventually end up becoming brittle and cracking, or it will wrinkle up and look like crap. Sure it may be cheaper to replace (if you can get the parts), but metal can be repaired.

I'm a Harley owner now, but always liked my Suzuki Intruder ('94) and my GS750 ('79) becuase they didn't have much plastic. On the Intruder even the side covers were metal!

I think Yamaha is right that using metal parts vs. plastic adds value. Plastic fenders and plastic "chrome" sucks. Those are cost cutting measures that one expects to find on budget cruisers. If Honda wants to charge full price for this bike they shouldn't be cutting corners on the materials.
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #29
Larry
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
For me, the Honda VTX line has always been a soulless, plastic clad and uninspiring line of McMotorcycles.

Agreed. A motorcycle needs some sort of 'character' and those metal-lyke parts are cheesy.
11.63 @ 115 mph -- 1/4 mile
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #30
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Larry: With 120 hp to the wheel of your Kingpin, it seems like your bike has a bit of character!