Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #21
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I wouldnt've thought the rider had any reason to obey his orders, and would been justified "running for his life" if he felt he needed to get away. no way that officer thought his life was in jeopardy.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I wouldnt've thought the rider had any reason to obey his orders, and would been justified "running for his life" if he felt he needed to get away. no way that officer thought his life was in jeopardy.
One of the main reason's "some" cops become cops imho, so they can bust out there gun on a Sunday for apparently no other reason other than because they can.

What ever happened to people who enter a specific position to make a difference instead of doing it just for the money or power?

Last edited by MOKE1K : 04-19-2010 at 06:41 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #23
jeff10236
Registered Member

I'm the first to call cops on it when they are in the wrong. I grew up in an area where the local county cops often abused their authority with teens (one ended up dead after putting in a complaint against some cops for excessive force in breaking up a party and injuring him- he choked himself to death and then hung himself according to the coroner report- suicide). Around here, the MD State Police are tough, no warnings only tickets, but they are very professional.

In this case, I'm not sure the cop was wrong to have his gun out or not. Adreniline was running high- he had been chasing someone at near 100MPH speeds who tried to evade him for a while and was poping wheelies. He had every reason to think this guy was a bad guy and a danger. If you look at the videos (and you know anything about guns) he never pointed the gun at the motorcyclist. He had the gun at the ready position (pointed at the ground at a slight forward angle), not endangering the motorcyclist if the gun wasn't needed yet having it ready to swing quickly into action if it was. Had he actually pointed it at the guy I'd say he was definitely wrong. Since he didn't, and given the circumstances, it could go either way.

As for the charges, everyone around here knows it is illegal in MD to record any conversation (video, audio, in person, on the phone, etc) without the express consent of both parties (no "he saw the camera, he knew I was possibly taping", nope, the cop must be asked if it is OK to tape what he says and he must say yes). Anyone that says they don't know about the law should. It was very high profile just a few years ago- anyone remember the Monica Lewinsky scandal? Linda Tripp was charged under this law for secretly taping her phone conversations with Lewinsky.

Is the law a good thing? While it may be helpful for police oversight not to have it (though you can video tape their actions, you just can't have the audio recording without their consent). I like the privacy protection that I have knowing no one can legally tape me without telling me and then editing the tapes to make me look bad. No one can release some audio tape of me out of context to try to make me look bad. I think that is a good thing.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 04-19-2010 at 05:57 AM.
jeff10236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #24
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Star Ride View Post
I would've felt "threatened" if an unmarked car with a plain clothes officer got out with a gun, especially not identifying himself with a badge or verbally, if I had a gun, may have reached for it part of why I don't, lol

Well it's a good thing you don't, when the cop already has his gun out the very last thing (literally) you want to do is make any kind of movements.

Around here unmarked WSP cars still have the police flashing blue and red light bar along the inside top of the windshield and rear window and alternating headlights. The police are in uniform and clearly identify themselves as Washington State Patrol so there's no question. The guy in the video appears to be in a privately owned vehicle and is in civilian clothes, it's doubtful if he's even on duty or a best he's a Detective who just happened along.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
pplassm
Founding Member

Between this and this:

Baltimore Crime Beat: College Park students outraged at beating; FBI to investigate - Baltimore, Maryland crime news, blogs and video - baltimoresun.com

Gotta wonder what's going on in Maryland.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #26
jeff10236
Registered Member

Oh, you guys should watch this news video:

Motorcyclist Charged for Recording - Baltimore News, Weather, Breaking News | WMAR-TV

The unmarked car used is a model commonly used by state police (and I bet the tag which you can't see here is a giveaway, they usually are). The biggest thing that goes against the guy saying he didn't know the man was a cop was the fact that he was pursued by a marked car as well which pulled up behind him, it was only the unmarked car that cut off his escape route when they came to the light. Also, in MD the unmarked cars do have lights, I assume the cop was using his lights. Further, even if he was off duty as some speculate, in MD police do have arrest powers when off duty and even in their personal vehicle so long as they are in their jurisdiction (and being a state cop, the whole state is this cop's jurisdiction).

The gun was removed from the holster when the rider started backing up like he was going to try to get away (he started backing as soon as the cop blocked his way), and it was put away when the rider started to comply.

This is a rare situation for me, but I think the cop was 100% in the right. Maybe he could have identified himself sooner, and that may be a training issue, but with the likely lights on the unmarked car, it being a commonly used unmarked car for MD State Police, the fact that the tags would have likely been obvious MD state tags, and the marked State Police cruiser behind him, there is a high likelihood that the motorcyclist knew who this guy was and just wants to make himself seem right.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 04-19-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #27
jeff10236
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
PG County cops have a worse rep than Howard County cops (where I grew up). They have a long standing track record of abuse. They have had a recent history of a suspect or two dying while in lock-up. They have a long history of racism. They do like beating people. They recently shot a dog belonging to a town's mayor when executing a 'no knock' warrant (a terrible idea- I wish the courts would stop the practice of 'no knock warrants') based on a bad informant. Of course, it has nothing to do with the actions of the very strict, but very professional, State Police (the original subject of this thread).

The problem is a lot of county police agencies around here still train like it was 40 or 50 years ago and they are still a rural police force when today they patrol one of the most congested urban areas in the country.

Last edited by jeff10236 : 04-19-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #28
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post

"ummm....no, no...um the horse didn't kick him....he ummm...fell down the stairs...yeah that's it he fell down the stairs and we were just trying to help him.....that's it....ummm we were checking him for injuries with the big flashlight that looks just like a nightstick....that's it...."

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #29
A Star Ride
Registered Member

I understand law is law, his purpose of the camera was to display his mad skillz, not to "secretly record an officers audio without his permission" which the charges state, and he had no opportunity to disable the camera before the officer begun speaking.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #30
A Star Ride
Registered Member

"""The gun was removed from the holster when the rider started backing up like he was going to try to get away (he started backing as soon as the cop blocked his way), and it was put away when the rider started to comply.""""

Even if he was fleeing to evade a traffic ticket, I don't think the gun would be appropiate. If the rider was trying to throw his helmet at him, sure pull the sidearm.

Last edited by A Star Ride : 04-19-2010 at 09:44 AM.
A Star Ride is offline   Reply With Quote