Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Harley-Davidson Sportster Forty-Eight Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14982-2010-harley-davidson-sportster-forty-eight-review.html)

Administrator 04-15-2010 02:05 PM

2010 Harley-Davidson Sportster Forty-Eight Review

Original Article:
2010 Harley-Davidson Sportster Forty-Eight Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Harley-Davidson Sportster Forty-Eight Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 04-15-2010 02:46 PM

Like the bike except for the forward controls and the too small tank. The 2.5 gal tank looks about the same but makes more of a difference in range at 50mpg than one would think. I used to commute 80 miles per day on a 2.5 gal Sporty without any problem. With only 2 gals that would be iffy. Kind of a pain in the @ss to refuel twice a day.

sarnali2 04-15-2010 04:54 PM

I'd put a bigger tank and the mini apes off the Cross Bones on there. I think that would finish it off good. I had a 2.2 gallon Sporty tank on a Shovelhead for a short time...looked cool but the twice daily fill-ups to get to work and back did get old as Seruzawa mentioned.

mscuddy 04-15-2010 05:06 PM

Well I think they should have a flathead version with a tank-shift and big whitewall tires.

And one of those brass Linkert lawnmower carbs would be good too.

Hey, call me old fashioned...

sarnali2 04-16-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscuddy (Post 239678)
Well I think they should have a flathead version with a tank-shift and big whitewall tires.

And one of those brass Linkert lawnmower carbs would be good too.

Hey, call me old fashioned...

That's a good idea, a return of the KHK for the 55th anniversary.....I wonder if you could even get a flattie past the EPA? with efi you could have a Linkert looking housing with the injectors like a throttle body or individual injectors and the Linkert used for the throttle positioner ....it'd be pretty cool looking either way

nferr 04-16-2010 09:05 AM

It's nice except for that ridiculously small tank. Even with my Triumph Scrambler I can go 160 miles before I hit reserve. Price is kinda high too.

The_AirHawk 04-16-2010 09:34 AM

Jeebus guys! The thing's designed to get you from bar to bar - not ride 'cross this Great Nation of ours!

Well, not with THAT tiny tank, anyway. Thing's got less range than a F-Bomb'n HawkGT!
(which I have ridden-across this Great Nation of ours!)

Duken4evr 04-18-2010 08:28 AM

10.5K? Really?

I thought this was a "stripped" model.

Kenneth_Moore 04-18-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 239800)
10.5K? Really?

I thought this was a "stripped" model.

Yes, but with freight, dealer prep, accessories, shop supplies, extended warranty, tire road hazard, credit life, credit insurance, and dealer fees, tax, tag, title, your out the door price is only $15,689. And $240/month for bank-required insurance.

Duken4evr 04-18-2010 10:52 AM

All financed by Harley's credit arm under the screw it, let's ride program.

I have seen the future, and none of us can afford it...