Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Oh, I don't know. Hazards can be mitigated to a degree but in the end I guess you're right, it's a coin toss.
I think it's up to God. Bike or otherwise, when it's your day, it's your day. I've walked away from wrecks that could easily have killed me, and I saw a guy, with a helmet on, break his neck in a scooter wreck at 5 mph. He died before the paramedics got there.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
I think it's up to God. Bike or otherwise, when it's your day, it's your day. I've walked away from wrecks that could easily have killed me, and I saw a guy, with a helmet on, break his neck in a scooter wreck at 5 mph. He died before the paramedics got there.

I gotta agree with Ken on this one. I've seen 15 mph car accidents where people ended up dead and 70 mph head-on's where they came out reasonably unhurt. It's all dumb luck. I do wear my helmet most of the time, but I gotta say, I will never depend on it to be 'safe'.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
MOKE1K
Registered Member

It is a coin toss as Sarnali2 says, aswell as Ken's comment. All you can do is prepare yourself the best you can with training and hope you decide to fall three inches more to the right so as to avoid that pole or what ever the situation is at the time.

One of my first accidents was totally dumb luck, it was the only time inexperience paided off.

Here's how it played out, Iam riding down a two way road with a double yellow. Parked cars located on both sides, this lady parked on my side of the road in the same direction decides to turn her wheel,what seemed to be all the way to the left "before" pulling out.

Well once I reached the car behind her she must of slammed the gas pedal at full left turn sterring lock. The only thing that saved me was because I slammed on the rear brake and slide into her door. Because I locked the rear it made the bike immediately low side and propel it under the car, instead of keeping the bike upright and trying to stop before hitting her.

That's the classic accident where the rider slams into the side of the car, flies over the hood and lands 50ft on the other side. Needless to say I remember the cop arriving at the scene while I was busy nursing a minor cut on my thumb. As he walked up I remember him saying "where's the rider, has the ambulance already taken him?" Thats when I stood up and said no here I am. He told me the way the bike was stuffed under the car and the way everything was placed, he thought I flew over the car. In that accident my inexperience about the power of the front brakes actually saved me. Being my first bike not really knowing how to stop hard with the front, I think saved me.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 04-11-2010 at 05:55 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Gee, Moke "laid er down" and it worked.

Who knew?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:00 AM   #15
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Cool, a motorcycle accidents thread...

My boss of many years worked in Miami before I knew him. He was driving through South Miami at lunch one day when a sportbike T-boned him. Nobody knew exactly how fast he was going, but it was fast enough to launch him through the air and into the 4th floor of an adjacent building. The impact with the building wall killed him.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
A Star Ride
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool, a motorcycle accidents thread...

My boss of many years worked in Miami before I knew him. He was driving through South Miami at lunch one day when a sportbike T-boned him. Nobody knew exactly how fast he was going, but it was fast enough to launch him through the air and into the 4th floor of an adjacent building. The impact with the building wall killed him.
Well, that was too fast. Even if the car pulled in front of him, to fly 35 feet vertically, yeah too fast.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I was riding with a friend of mine one night years ago and a 300ZX pulled out in front of him, he hit the car almost dead center, flipped up over the roof doing a hand stand and landed on his butt a few yards away on the other side of the car wondering what the hell happened. I swear he looked like a dam* Olympic Gold Medalist, funniest thing I ever saw.

Funnier still was the Nissan, the car was literally bent in the middle with his '67 flat side's front wheel in the back seat, the kid driving it had to get out the passenger side door. I told him he should paint a little Rising Sun on the fender when the bagger was resurrected.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...

Last edited by sarnali2 : 04-12-2010 at 11:19 AM.
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I was riding with a friend of mine one night years ago and a 300ZX pulled out in front of him, he hit the car almost dead center, flipped up over the roof doing a hand stand and landed on his butt a few yards away on the other side of the car wondering what the hell happened. I swear he looked like a dam* Olympic Gold Medalist, funniest thing I ever saw.
"And for my Next Trick, I will set myself ON FIRE!!"
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
"And for my Next Trick, I will set myself ON FIRE!!"
Tell us how come they call you Airhawk again Daddy! Pulll-eeeeeze!
Old 04-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Tell us how come they call you Airhawk again Daddy! Pulll-eeeeeze!
Well, at least they didn't start callin' me the "FIREHawk".......

Thank God........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote