Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Zero S and DS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14863-2010-zero-s-ds-review.html)

Administrator 04-01-2010 11:41 AM

2010 Zero S and DS Review

Original Article:
2010 Zero S and DS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Zero S and DS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

BrowningBAR 04-01-2010 11:45 AM

It's so nice, they posted it twice.

BrowningBAR 04-01-2010 11:52 AM

How is an electric bike defined as 'zero emissions'? Does everyone think electricity is produced with magic?

longride 04-01-2010 11:53 AM

"The bikes actually have enough power to go much faster – up to 150 mph according to Lloyd – but they might only make it down the block at that rate before running out of juice"

Maybe if they had it plugged into a power cord that would help? 'Zero' seems to be a good name for these expensive jokes.

“As much as I like the sounds, smells and mechanical aspects of petrol-powered motorcycles, I have to admit it looks quite possible that e-bikes could be a big part of motorcycling’s future,” Pete said,

Not for me Pete. You go have fun though! If this is the 'big part' of the MC future, I'd say the future is going to suck very badly.

longride 04-01-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 238734)
How is an electric bike defined as 'zero emissions'? Does everyone think electricity is produced with magic?

Anyone ever think after we switch to electric everything, that the evil oil companies will be replaced by the evil electric companies? Anyone??

BrowningBAR 04-01-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 238737)
Anyone ever think after we switch to electric everything, that the evil oil companies will be replaced by the evil electric companies? Anyone??

I'm already paying 16 cents per KWH and it will rise to over 20 cents withing two years.

California also has rolling black outs since their power grid can't handle the demand as it is, what's going to happen when the demand rises even further.

Additionally, most of our electricity is produced by coal.

seruzawa 04-01-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 238734)

Shhhhhhhhhhhh. You'll destroy too many fantasies if you keep that up.

Electric cars was another idea latched on by environmentalist types who knew nothing about electricity or cars. It became a major cause even earning a mandate by California that 10% of all cars be electric by 2010 or some such nonsense. Those of us who understand the basic phsysics of batteries knew it was a ridiculous expectation. And until a new way to store energy is developed it still is. Chemical energy storage is too toxic, too slow, too limited and too inefficient. You only save a few percent points in fossil fuel over an efficient gasoline engine. All you get is a car that MIGHT get you to work and back after charging it all night.

You could save more fuel by limiting cars to 100 hp than you ever will with electric cars using the current level of battery technology.

$10K for a bike that wouldn't get me to work, much less back, will never make my garage. An electric bike needs to be able to go at least 150 miles per charge and recharge in 5 minutes. Otherwise they will never be more than curios.

seruzawa 04-01-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 238735)
"The bikes actually have enough power to go much faster – up to 150 mph according to Lloyd – but they might only make it down the block at that rate before running out of juice"

Maybe if they had it plugged into a power cord that would help? 'Zero' seems to be a good name for these expensive jokes.

“As much as I like the sounds, smells and mechanical aspects of petrol-powered motorcycles, I have to admit it looks quite possible that e-bikes could be a big part of motorcycling’s future,” Pete said,

Not for me Pete. You go have fun though! If this is the 'big part' of the MC future, I'd say the future is going to suck very badly.

I think the "big part" of that future will be spent sitting around with the bike plugged into the wall socket.

BrowningBAR 04-01-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longride (Post 238735)

I can forgive the bike limitations as the technology is still new, BUT switching to electricity solves nothing. It actually creates more problems.

longride 04-01-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrowningBAR (Post 238745)
I can forgive the bike limitations as the technology is still new, BUT switching to electricity solves nothing. It actually creates more problems.

I agree. So selling glorified electric bicycles for 10 grand is a bad idea then??