Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #61
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Ranked among governments around the world, the Obama admin is quite conservative. And he has committed to new nuclear powerplants and recently off-shore drilling"

But Bush was an ass when he wanted to do those things. He as a 'dumb' guy. You mean it's now OK becuase a 'smart' guy like 'The Messiah' now approves of those things?? My how things change.

" Like it or not - and infrastructure or not - billions of dollars and some of the world's brightest minds are working on electric vehicles and battery technology as we speak."

I think the same amount of time, money and effort went into turning lead into gold. How'd that work out for everyone?
Who said anything about Bush? Partisan bickering does nothing to forward dialog on an important topic. I only mentioned Obama because others did. I'd be happy to hear if I was inaccurate with something I said. But saying "my team is better than your team because it's my team" adds little to a discussion.

And I'll bet dollars to donuts that a lot more people and a lot more money is being put into battery/e-vehicle tech than ever was on alchemy, which, as everyone knows, was a plan put forth by Obama and Acorn.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #62
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

"Who said anything about Bush?"

I did. Maybe you noticed.

" I only mentioned Obama because others did. "

I mentioned Bush because I didn't wait for others to mention him. I was just showing the difference between when a 'smart' guy does something, and a 'dumb' guy does. Bush was a moron for wanting to build Nuke plants and drill for oil, and Obama is a genius for wanting to do it. Isn't that pretty much true? That's what holds back true progress on any topic you name.

"Partisan bickering does nothing to forward dialog on an important topic. "

I dunno. The Liberals did it for 8 years, and it seemed to work for them in the last election, or did it?? The whole 'important topic' is a Liberal ruse to begin with. We aren't running out of oil, and the 'Global Warm...' err 'Climate Change' data has been shown to be nonsense. Electric cars are nothing new. They got wiped out by gas powered vehicles years ago for the same reasons electric vehicles suck today i.e. expensive batteries, short range, long recharge times, battery waste issues. What's old is new and what's new is old. Same stuff, different day.

Last edited by longride : 04-05-2010 at 01:19 PM.
longride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #63
Duken4evr
Founding Member

The emissions from a coal fired plant providing power for electric cars has got to be lower vs. the individual cars burning gas. The pollution argument doesn't really fly too well. it is easier to control emissions from one source vs. thousands of individual sources.

I have no doubt that eventually vehicles with at least partial electric power will make sense. The motors themselves are the most efficient means of propulsion currently available. It is still way early in the game though.

My biggest problem with electric vehicles is they amount to soulless transport. My company supplied Camry 4 banger already does that very well!
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #64
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
The emissions from a coal fired plant providing power for electric cars has got to be lower vs. the individual cars burning gas.
Why? Modern engines burn very clean. Coal is very dirty.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #65
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"Who said anything about Bush?"

I did. Maybe you noticed.

" I only mentioned Obama because others did. "

I mentioned Bush because I didn't wait for others to mention him. I was just showing the difference between when a 'smart' guy does something, and a 'dumb' guy does. Bush was a moron for wanting to build Nuke plants and drill for oil, and Obama is a genius for wanting to do it. Isn't that pretty much true? That's what holds back true progress on any topic you name.

"Partisan bickering does nothing to forward dialog on an important topic. "

I dunno. The Liberals did it for 8 years, and it seemed to work for them in the last election, or did it?? The whole 'important topic' is a Liberal ruse to begin with. We aren't running out of oil, and the 'Global Warm...' err 'Climate Change' data has been shown to be nonsense. Electric cars are nothing new. They got wiped out by gas powered vehicles years ago for the same reasons electric vehicles suck today i.e. expensive batteries, short range, long recharge times, battery waste issues. What's old is new and what's new is old. Same stuff, different day.
Partisan bickering = "Wah wah! Those evil conservatives refuse to lay down for our criminal looting schemes!! Wah wah!"
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #66
nondual
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I don't see this debate as conservatives vs liberals. Like it or not - and infrastructure or not - billions of dollars and some of the world's brightest minds are working on electric vehicles and battery technology as we speak. The question is whether America will be a leader in this field or not.

Ranked among governments around the world, the Obama admin is quite conservative. And he has committed to new nuclear powerplants and recently off-shore drilling. And note how the biggest monetary incentives for e-vehicles are from states, not the Feds.

Even if John McCain had won the '08 election, the development and profligation of electric vehicles would be in the exact same place as they are now.
Europe's gonna eat our lunch on this if we're not careful. The more limited ranges and lower speeds are not an impediment in Europe (You know the old phrase? In America 100 years is a long time; in Europe, 100 miles is a long way.).

So yeah - Electric vehicles are coming. The only question is whether we will lead or will follow. All modern empires follow energy dynamics - starting with the Dutch with wind-power. Each empire 'died' because it held onto an energy technology that was passing its prime.
nondual is offline   Reply With Quote