Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   One Arm Man Needs Help (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14839-one-arm-man-needs-help.html)

OneArmMan 03-30-2010 04:09 AM

One Arm Man Needs Help

I have a bad right hand that cannot grip. I ride jet ski's easily but want to go back to street bikes. I will have throttle and brake mods done on the bike.

Here Is My Problem: Normally I would buy a small bike, 500cc etc. but I will need to spend ALOT of money for modifications and I will need to get a bigger bike as soon as I am comfortable on the smaller bike.
I was thinking of buying a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 or similar size bike, modify it, and then just spend weeks learning how to start and stop as well as hitting apexes etc. before ever hitting the road.

Anyone have an opinion regarding the most stable and forgiving cruiser available? I assume that wide tires, low seat height etc. are what I need for a stable platform.

Frankly I don't see a huge difference in weight between a small 500cc bike and a Vulcan.

I rode many, many years ago so I do have experience. In fact what got me started was the fact that I found my old 1971 100cc Kawasaki G3TR in my fathers basement and started to restore it. I reversed the throttle and started riding around my development. After about 1/2 hour I felt fairly comfortable even with the clutch and throttle on the left. Granted it is a tiny little machine but the concept remains the same, balance and throttle, brake control.

THANKS!

pplassm 03-30-2010 05:54 AM

The larger, heavier bikes will feel larger and heavier at a standstill. Once you get moving, handling will be easier.

As far as stable and forgiving, that's pretty much included in the definition of "cruiser", IMHO.

Good for you for not letting your situation dictate your restrictions. I bought a CR500 from a guy who had a similar condition. He moved the throttle and brake to the left bar, along with the clutch. The throttle worked in resverse. Talk about a scary bike to test ride!

OneArmMan 03-30-2010 06:45 AM

Thanks for the reply.

So in your opinion would a bike that weighs roughly 100 pounds more and have a motor roughly 250cc larger is not a huge difference in terms of being a "starter bike"?
Naturally a smaller bike would be easier for awhile but it really shouldn't be that big of a difference do you think?

seruzawa 03-30-2010 06:58 AM

You know, you might consider one of them Can-Am Spyders instead of a motorcycle.

BrowningBAR 03-30-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 238425)
You know, you might consider one of them Can-Am Spyders instead of a motorcycle.

I've seen 3 or 4 of them around here. They are kind of neat. I've wanted to what they are like in snowy, wintery, weather.

Buzglyd 03-30-2010 07:41 AM

A 900 Vulcan would work fine.

It's not a super powerful bike.

acecycleins 03-30-2010 08:21 AM

Can you use a ATV throttle effectively? I have a buddy that is missing a few digits on the right hand and this was his fix for motion. As for the brake- link them. I'd buy a Shadow over the vulcan because honda brake systems on most street bikes are very similar. I'd think that their linked brake system (used) should be easy to adapt and modulate. That's all I got. Good luck. Happy to see you trying to get back in the saddle.

pplassm 03-30-2010 08:34 AM

Since you are used to the throttle on the G3TR (cool bike, I used to have one) you will probably do alright with the Vulcan.

Be careful out there!

A Star Ride 03-30-2010 10:03 AM

Good luck, I'm curious if any mods made to a smaller bike would also work on a larger model after you get some time on the road. I'm not sure if perhaps the older Vulcan 500, 750 & 800's are mechanically similar enough to use whatever adaptations created on a smaller & then later re-used on a larger model.

And kudos for not giving up on the idea, you will overcome it & enjoy it regardless.