Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 AM   #21
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post

I think a better reason naked sportbikes don't sell is after the mfg. gets done putting on cheap suspension and neutering the engine, it really isn't a naked sportbike any more.
They also seem to over-style the nakeds; the BKing was a good example. Even the new Z, which I like very much, has some styling elements that seem to detract from, rather than improve upon, the inherent good looks of the bike. Just stuff a bigass motor in a good frame, bolt on bars and lights, and stop there.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
"I think part of the reason naked sportbikes don't sell here is because the OEMs are afraid of losing money,.."

I think a better reason naked sportbikes don't sell is after the mfg. gets done putting on cheap suspension and neutering the engine, it really isn't a naked sportbike any more.
Hear, hear!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #23
Duken4evr
Founding Member

I hear ya. I purposely chose my Yamaha FZ1 after doing lots of research on YamahaFZ1OA.com and because I like it's overall clean look. After doing a few simple if not inexpensive external mods, my bike put out 131HP here in high elevation Denver at OTD Motorsports. That should be around 152 at sea level. This particular model picks up around 18 hp all through the midrange and top end. The entire curve just lifts evenly when you uncork it - the key is a full exhaust system and not just a slip on, to rid it of the "R1 power sag" through the middle rpms. There is no tradeoff or loss, just pure gain. The only loss was to my wallet of course!

On the suspension front, the OEM Ford Ranger pickup worthy harshly sprung and valved rear shock was binned in favor of a properly set up Penske courtesy of Traxxion Dynamics. Aside from the better action, lifting the tail a tad via the Penske's ride height adjuster changed everything. Formerly lazy steering is now accurate, sharp and direct. The forks are actually sprung correctly and work OK. I don't notice them at speed on choppy roads. That is a compliment I suppose.

The result is what I wanted. A comfy bikini fairing naked bike with real teeth and sharp handling. It would be nice if they sold it that way, but at least the foundational potential lurks within. A modded FZ1 is no GSXR beater, but it is a seriously no kidding around ride, and yet I can and do go on fast 400mile day rides through the mountains and high meadows, far from population centers and most of the cops, where it can run free. I dearly love the damn thing. Try a 400 mile day on your GSXR. I think Kevin would enjoy taking a spin on Rt. 7 or making a cannonball run to Steamboat over Rabbit Ears pass here in Colorado with it too.

I do wonder about the new Z1000, and what it would be like with similar attention. I bet it would hit hard as hell in the midrange and generally rock hard core! Yes, these Japanese naked bikes are a bit "lacking" as delivered but it can be fixed pretty easily. Modding and fixing my '06 FZ1 was half the fun. I problably have nearly 12 grand total into my FZ1 at this point, about the same as a new GSXR. Oh well. Irrational I suppose, but I made it into what I wanted it to be.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 03-31-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
I hear ya. I purposely chose my Yamaha FZ1 after doing lots of research on YamahaFZ1OA.com and because I like it's overall clean look. I problably have nearly 12 grand total into my FZ1 at this point, about the same as a new GSXR. Oh well. Irrational I suppose, but I made it into what I wanted it to be.
Making a bike into what you want it to be is perfectly rational! Congrats on a cool bike. I'd be happy to rail the Rockies on it!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote