Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2010 Kawasaki ZX-10R Review

Original Article:
2010 Kawasaki ZX-10R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Kawasaki ZX-10R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

It's hard to imagine a bike that you can't get out of 3rd gear on the racetrack, let alone the street.

Kevin, is there any comparison at all with this bike and the Z1000? I know the motors are different, but in general, are they light years apart, or what?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It's hard to imagine a bike that you can't get out of 3rd gear on the racetrack, let alone the street.

Kevin, is there any comparison at all with this bike and the Z1000? I know the motors are different, but in general, are they light years apart, or what?
Yeah, pretty much light years apart. I'm told the Z1000 does very well on a racetrack (and hope to verify soon), but it can't match the singular-of-purpose ZX-10R in terms of ultimate capabilities. On the other hand, the Z1000 makes for a preferable street mount. Its torque-biased motor pulls really hard without revving it out, and its chassis/suspension is really good. Plus its riding position is much more comfortable.

Here's a theory: At a smaller track like Streets of Willow, a moderately experienced street rider could clock quicker lap times on a Z1000 than a ZX-10R. The hypothesis is that a lower-caliber rider would feel more comfortable and confident on the easier-to-ride Z, and he couldn't come close to approaching the limits of the 10R.

What do you guys think?
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
bmwclay
Founding Member

My Le Mans could stomp it.
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yeah, pretty much light years apart. I'm told the Z1000 does very well on a racetrack (and hope to verify soon), but it can't match the singular-of-purpose ZX-10R in terms of ultimate capabilities. On the other hand, the Z1000 makes for a preferable street mount. Its torque-biased motor pulls really hard without revving it out, and its chassis/suspension is really good. Plus its riding position is much more comfortable.

Here's a theory: At a smaller track like Streets of Willow, a moderately experienced street rider could clock quicker lap times on a Z1000 than a ZX-10R. The hypothesis is that a lower-caliber rider would feel more comfortable and confident on the easier-to-ride Z, and he couldn't come close to approaching the limits of the 10R.

What do you guys think?
I think that even better for getting someone to become an excellent track rider would be to start out on something with even better midrange, like a V-twin. Or maybe the 675 triple. Nice linear engine output while learning the nuances of handling. Get the handling down and then boost up the power available.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post

What do you guys think?
I can be available any weekend except 4/10-11 to try!

Seriously, I suspect there's something to that. Being comfortable on your ride makes a huge difference in your performance, which is why I stopped dating supermodels. How big a difference in skills and bikes lets the novice win...that would be fun to find out.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I think that even better for getting someone to become an excellent track rider would be to start out on something with even better midrange, like a V-twin. Or maybe the 675 triple. Nice linear engine output while learning the nuances of handling. Get the handling down and then boost up the power available.
Take a look at the dyno charts from our Z1000 vs Speed Triple shootout, and you'll see a linear, midrange-heavy power supply. Because the S3 out-torqued the Tuono and 1125CR in a previous shootout, the Z1000 (and its competitiveness against the S3) might surprise you with its low-end power that can out-grunt most performance Twins.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Didn't Zemke set some kind of track record on a 600 AMA FX Honda years ago? It's basically a glorified Kart track, right?
Kevin, here's your weird comparo of the year: Honda CBR1000 and 600, BMW S1000 and the HP sport, Kawi ZX & Z1000, Yam R1 & FZ1, Suz GSXR1000 & 750, Triumph Daytona675 and Speed III.
I bet you can find some interesting thngs to talk about in that test. It's the tires that may be the biggest issue as far as I see it.

Title: What's the trade-off?

It goes with my personal creeo of: Life's a trade-off. For every good thing expect and equally bad thing. If it's worth the trade then do it.

Set it up and send the regular morons tickets (coach is fine) and will come out to test with you. Ken's in, right?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Didn't Zemke set some kind of track record on a 600 AMA FX Honda years ago? It's basically a glorified Kart track, right?
Kevin, here's your weird comparo of the year: Honda CBR1000 and 600, BMW S1000 and the HP sport, Kawi ZX & Z1000, Yam R1 & FZ1, Suz GSXR1000 & 750, Triumph Daytona675 and Speed III.
I bet you can find some interesting thngs to talk about in that test. It's the tires that may be the biggest issue as far as I see it.

It goes with my personal creeo of: Life's a trade-off. For every good thing expect and equally bad thing. If it's worth the trade then do it.

Set it up and send the regular morons tickets (coach is fine) and will come out to test with you. Ken's in, right?
The SoW is more than a glorified kart track, but it's not big enough for a literbike to gain much of an advantage on a 600.

Tickets are in the mail! Please contact your post office if you don't receive yours.
The Streets of Willow Springs
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post

Hell yeah! I'd love to see MO do something like this. Barber is in the middle, right? Then again, flights to LAX are only $300 right now.

Klazy Ken LLC can be Title Sponsor!