Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Oh Cool, this is exactly the same as my '86 ZX1000R Ninja except lighter and better handling with more power and better brakes and suspension and tires! They're fun bikes alright, I rode the wheels off mine

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

In the 1st page picture, why does the gas tank look like a chin-rest?

The '04 one I rode in the MO Stuperbike shootout was so smooth you didn't have any inkling that you just passed 60 mph in 1st gear, without even trying. Scary fast.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscuddy View Post
In the 1st page picture, why does the gas tank look like a chin-rest?

The '04 one I rode in the MO Stuperbike shootout was so smooth you didn't have any inkling that you just passed 60 mph in 1st gear, without even trying. Scary fast.
90 is the new 60!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
Duken4evr
Founding Member

"Here's a theory: At a smaller track like Streets of Willow, a moderately experienced street rider could clock quicker lap times on a Z1000 than a ZX-10R. The hypothesis is that a lower-caliber rider would feel more comfortable and confident on the easier-to-ride Z, and he couldn't come close to approaching the limits of the 10R".

Probably true. I did a few track days there on my TL1000S (with Helibar kit) and it was a blast. The TL was easy to ride to my limits. Sliding around, with the twin Yosh cans barking away and feelable rear end traction, it was like riding a big dirt bike. Loved it!

Highlight was riding at the Streets was during a CLASS School. For $20 I went on the back of Jason Pridmore's 750. About peed in my leathers. It was an eye opener.

The Streets is far more than a Kart Track. Buttonwillow was always my favorite though.

I have not had the FZ1 to the track. It handles far better than the TL and has more power, but I know I would not be able to slap it around like the TLS. I do think Kevin is right about the ZX10 and "normal" competent but not expert riders. My comparatively mild bike is more than enough for me.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 03-20-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post

Highlight was riding at the Streets was during a CLASS School. For $20 I went on the back of Jason Pridmore's 750. About peed in my leathers. It was an eye opener.

The Streets is far more than a Kart Track. Buttonwillow was always my favorite though.

I have not had the FZ1 to the track. It handles far better than the TL and has more power, but I know I would not be able to slap it around like the TLS. I do think Kevin is right about the ZX10 and "normal" competent but not expert riders. My comparatively mild bike is more than enough for me.
I've been fortunate enough to have ridden behind both Jason and Reg. An experience not to be missed. I remember with Jason at Pahrump on a Katana 750 passing racers on the outside of corners - mind blowing!

Both the Streets and Buttonwillow have deplorable surface conditions, full of patches, transitions and bumps these days. It's amazing that, considering how often they're used, the owners don't lay down a proper track surface.

Who cares about how fast you may go on the FZ1? Just go and have fun!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
Duken4evr
Founding Member

You are right of course. Pueblo is my nearest track here in CO. I have a trailer too. I am just lame

When I was at Buttonwillow I was circulating with a guy on a KTM 525 motard. Crummy track surface did not bother him too much! I was working a lot harder than him - he was having a ball. I'd pass him by in the faster stuff and he would zip by in the tight bits. Went on like that for many laps. What a gas.

Riding with Jason was such a tutorial on smoothness. He was glassy smooth and fast. The speed was horrifying to me and we were sliding here and there, but he was just playin' around. I kept telling myself "this guy is a pro"

Last edited by Duken4evr : 03-21-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Although the power is incredible the delivery has improved tremendously since the 06 model. That bike would just spin the rear tire on demand at 8k.

Once I rode the 09 I could tell the manufacture has really focused on making all that power usable, I was so impressed at speed I didnt want to hand it back to my buddy. Kawasaki is the only bike I have never owned or purchased with my own money, that is.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #18
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Throttle response is sharp but controllable, aided to some extent by KIMS (Kawasaki Ignition Management System), an anti-wheelspin system that Kawi says “curtails sudden spikes in engine speed” but isn’t comfortable describing it as traction control.

This seems to be one way that the manufactures curtail the power from becoming ubrupt. Suzuki I believe does it the same way with the Mode switches they keep the butterflies closed essentially starving the injectors of air at a specific rpm and throttle opening, very simple.

Another feature I found that was simple was the velocity stacks and how they are shaped to achieve low, midrange and topend. Instead of the complicated system Yamaha uses Kawasaki came up with something simple yet effective.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:27 AM   #19
BarelyStreetLegal
Registered Member

Awesome bike, but for the clearance price of $9K (in Cali), an 09 would do just as nice.
BarelyStreetLegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Another feature I found that was simple was the velocity stacks and how they are shaped to achieve low, midrange and topend. Instead of the complicated system Yamaha uses Kawasaki came up with something simple yet effective.
Are they like the double bore type ones on the ZX6? Those make a lot of sense. Can't argue with the power production on either of these bikes.

Moderating power via secondary butterfly programming definitely goes on. I am the pied piper of removing the secondary butterflies and remapping the FI on the second Gen FZ1s. They were amazingly lazy to the throttle in stock form. Now it is an uncaged animal.