Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
TheGallows
Registered Member

Question CBR Discussion..

I've been looking for a new 600cc bike for the upcoming season and would prefer a CBR. I was looking to get a newish one, like a 2006, But a friend of mine is selling his. It's a 2003, but the engine has been rebuild so it only has 5000 KM's on it. He'll sell it to me for what he paid, $4500 CAD

Now, I was thinking that this would be my plan B bike (it's yellow which im not thrilled about). I figured if I found an 06 with similar KM's for $5500, I'd rather get that.

But then he showed me this website where u can compare bikes as reviewed by users:

Honda CBR 600 RR engine performance, reliability, maintenance costs, etc. rated by riders

according to this, the 03 is rated better than 05's, 06's and 07's.

So is an 03 the best option after all? Or are these reviews missing something?
TheGallows is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
acecycleins
Founding Member

Why the hell is anybody rebuilding a motor with so few miles on it? I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Reviews by users are subjective like the rest of reviews. I can name you 100 Kawasaki guys that would dog Honda supersports. Ask a HIGH volume dealer which model used bike has the least headaches. Tell him your model year range and he'll point you towards the right selection.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
TheGallows
Registered Member

the other engine blew up so they rebuilt it and since then it only has 5000 kms.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGallows View Post
the other engine blew up so they rebuilt it and since then it only has 5000 kms.
they don't blow up w/o help. I'd steer clear of a new motor in a new bike. New motor in an old bike is a different story. If you have EVERY document of the new motor install then maybe, but I wouldn't even consider it a plan B bike. More Like plan d-g.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGallows View Post
Well, if it just "blew up", I'd be all for avoiding anything that used that particular engine. If someone abused it until it blew......... I'd avoid that particular bike like the Plague.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
TheGallows
Registered Member

ok so they didn't actually 'rebuild' the engine, they put a new one in. Does this change anytihng?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Dude? Seriously,...Blown up, new motor, motor has scratched off serial numbers?

Listen the simple fact of the matter is the Manufactures improve models each year, look at the differences one off the top of my head is the radial mount brakes on 04 or higher. You'd be very gulible to believe a site the seller points out to you don't cha think?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
MOKE1K
Registered Member

The proof is in the pudding when compairing older model years against newer ones. You dont even see privateers racing older model years.