Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #31
ExTex
Registered Member

Yes, I appreciate good motorcycles no matter the engine size or the location of use.

Yes, I would be interested in a 250cc version of this Honda.
I just bought a 1989 VTR250 to get a good small bike.
That shows I have an interest in small bikes.

The inboard front disk brake works well and the bike really runs fast.

Thanks

Last edited by ExTex : 03-18-2010 at 06:06 PM.
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #32
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExTex View Post
Yes, I appreciate good motorcycles no matter the engine size or the location of use.

Yes, I would be interested in a 250cc version of this Honda.
I just bought a 1989 VTR250 to get a good small bike.
That shows I have an interest in small bikes.

The inboard front disk brake works well and the bike really runs fast.

Thanks
Oh, I never said it didn't work - it's just funky. Nobody but Honda has parts for it (not that the typical rider will ever wear one out), and the 1990 model that uses the Hurricane 600 wheels & disc is easily upgradable (and cheaper to manufacture - not the Honda's worried about THAT any more, though)

Did I mention it looks funky?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #33
DonM
Founding Member

Wow, a high quality small standard for $1k. Unfortunately, it is underpowered for the USA. Maybe if they bumped it up to 150cc.
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #34
JeffNY
Registered Member

I posted my thoughts above, but had another; Honda is selling the Twister in India for $1050? Lets say they brought it to the U.S. and sold it for $1899....AND offered a $200 rebate on top of that to people who bought a Twister and either took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation motorcycle course 1 year before purchasing a Twister or 6 months after. What a sweet deal for people new to motorcycling, and what great good will this builds with a whole new generation of riders for Honda. Honda can also put these new Twister buyers in a marketing program for future sales and offers for bigger bikes and other Honda products.

And I really can't see the Twister hurting other Honda motorcycle sales: "Gee, I was looking at getting a CBR600RR or CBR1000RR....but man this Twister thing looks pretty hot!" ...ain't gonna happen. Ok, maybe they lose a few scooter sales here and there. But they may get a whole lot of people who never would have bought a bike otherwise.

And the PR would be great, Honda promotes safety with the MSF course. Honda offers high 141 MPG transportation...lots of "green" points there to be made. It would also help Honda with the image "problem" (so to speak) that Honda products have to be "expensive" ("expensive" is a relative term I know, but that is how a lot of people perceive Honda products I think). Think of all the kids out there who can now afford their first road bike, at $1699 (after rebate)....and potential future CBR600RR, CBR1000RR and GoldWing buyers because their first bike was a Honda...as someone pointed out above, people do have brand loyalty. (there are two 2009 Kawasaki motorcycles (and older quad) in my garage right now partly because in 1972 my dad bought me the MT75 I picked out as my first bike hehehe)

Maybe I am wrong....just seems to me Honda has the potential to do something big again, like they did with the SuperCub...talk about the "Honda Power of Dreams"...

Jeff
JeffNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #35
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

You're absolutely right JeffNY, that's the strategy Honda used in the 60's to get their foot in the door and it worked better than anyone could believe. The trouble is that Soichiro is dead and stinkin' now and the current crop of MBA's running the show are focused on cars and profit margins. The only thing you'll see from Honda here these days is sh*tbarge Harley copies and sportbikes. Of course you can buy a Sport tourer that doesn't come with bags too......

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #36
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Of course you can buy a Sport tourer that doesn't come with bags too......
Of course you can buy a pig of a 730lb Sport tourer ......

Sorry, had to fix it.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #37
JeffNY
Registered Member

I had a typo too, actually my first bike was a "MT1" (75cc)...not a "MT75". Anyway, even just think of the people the Twister would get into the dealers looking at them (I would even have to take a peek even if I had no plans to buy one!), then many of those same people may end up actually buying something a little bigger for their first bike (also more $$ for Honda). I think most of use here think it's a cool little bike, even if it never lands here in the U.S....
JeffNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #38
12er
Founding Member

Maybe the teal, pale purple and white color scheme of the old VTR's had more to do with the lack of sales. Like the Malibu Ken paint schemes of the older KLR's. My '99 olive drab KLR got so many comments it was actually shocking. "Finally a KLR I could be seen on" was the jist most of the time.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #39
tedddd
Registered Member

Default cinical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
When I was in High School, a 100 or 150 cc bike was desireable. You were really hot shtuff if you had a 350. It wasn't until the CB750's arrived that the smaller bikes seemed...really small.

I doubt US buyers would go for this. The riders who'd be interested are buying scooters.
list all the scooters out there that do 60mph and get anywhere near 100mpg....a couple scooters in U S market?? Maybe.
The reality is that this bike at that price is too good to be true, and that's why they will NEVER offer this in U S for $1100.-$1500. They are too smart for that when we stupid, spoiled americans will pay $6000. for scooters and & $3000. for out-dated 250 Rebels. We do this to ourselves...why do we complain?
tedddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #40
tedddd
Registered Member

P.S. ...I would buy A FEW of these for me and my five children at THAT price. But they will never offer this to us...what is the future of this country...God help us.
tedddd is offline   Reply With Quote