Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #21
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Honda did indeed sell the VTR250 here for a couple of years. It lost sales to the Ninja 250. Perhaps because it did not have a full fairing.
It had as much of a fairing as the lil' Ninja did at the time. One thing it had that was a turn-off though, was that funky "inboard brake" setup on the front of the thing. That, and the fact that it MSRP'd at about $600 more than the Ninja (in the late '80s!) probably had nothing to do with the lackluster sales.............
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #22
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
It had as much of a fairing as the lil' Ninja did at the time. One thing it had that was a turn-off though, was that funky "inboard brake" setup on the front of the thing. That, and the fact that it MSRP'd at about $600 more than the Ninja (in the late '80s!) probably had nothing to do with the lackluster sales.............
Yeah, but just think of that $600 worth of "fit and finish".

Sort of like the Honda 250 scooter that costs the same as the Suzuki 400. Or the naked 1000cc Bandit copy that costs $1000 more than the Bandit1250. Fit and finish!! Man is that sexy! Worth every penny! I'm buying a Honda next time. A Dullville would have cost $3K more than my Tiger but would be worth it for the fit and finish.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."

Last edited by seruzawa : 03-18-2010 at 08:03 AM.
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 AM   #23
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
Yeah, but just think of that $600 worth of "fit and finish".

Sort of like the Honda 250 scooter that costs the same as the Suzuki 400. Or the naked 1000cc Bandit copy that costs $1000 more than the Bandit1250. Fit and finish!! Man is that sexy! Worth every penny! I'm buying a Honda next time. A Dullville would have cost $3K more than my Tiger but would be worth it for the fit and finish.

Don't forget that Honda Reliability now, them Trumpy's will leave you stranded every time!
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #24
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Honda did indeed sell the VTR250 here for a couple of years. It lost sales to the Ninja 250. Perhaps because it did not have a full fairing.
Yeah, that was a pretty cool little bike, but the latest version is way cooler.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Duke/Videos/honda%20vtr250.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Duke/Videos/honda%20vtr250.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda vtr250.jpg (27.4 KB, 2 views)
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Yeah, that was a pretty cool little bike, but the latest version is way cooler.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Duke/Videos/honda%20vtr250.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Duke/Videos/honda%20vtr250.jpg[/IMG]
Yer link's a bit busted there, Dukemeister.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #26
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Yer link's a bit busted there, Dukemeister.
Try this then...BHP - More is never enough!: New Honda VTR 250 for European markets
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #27
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Interesting that the VTR has essentially been unchanged since it's revamp back in the mid-'90s. Of course, Honda has refused to bring it to the US since the EARLY '90s, 'cuz they "got burned". By that, the HawkGT, The CB1, the GB500, the.........

Take. A. F-Bomb'n. Marketing. Class. Honda.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
Interesting that the VTR has essentially been unchanged since it's revamp back in the mid-'90s. Of course, Honda has refused to bring it to the US since the EARLY '90s, 'cuz they "got burned". By that, the HawkGT, The CB1, the GB500, the.........

Take. A. F-Bomb'n. Marketing. Class. Honda.
It's likely they're accurate that they won't make much money selling a VTR250 in America. But by making decisions purely on a profit motive, they're giving up a huge slice of the entry-level market. And someone who falls in love with his/her Ninja 250 (or whatever) is likely to upgrade to a ZX-6R or other Kawasaki, sticking with the brand they are familiar with.

I know countless people who have started riding on Z50s, XR75s, CT70s and XR100s who have replaced their early bikes with other Hondas. But by not importing CBR125s, VTR250s and the 599 Hornet, Honda is giving the entry-level market to its rivals. That's pretty short-sighted for a company like Honda. I bet Soichiro (RIP) would agree.
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #29
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

I'm pretty sure Soichiro is spinning in his grave to see what's become of his namesake. He was an engineer and motorcyclist first, not a bean counter like those running the company now..
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #30
newagetwotone
Registered Member
 
newagetwotone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,302
Default

Take 3 of those engines, smash them into an I3 and put it in the same package, might actually sell here.
newagetwotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off