Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
VTXCruiser1
Registered Member

Unhappy need help-2 probs w/Honda VTX 1300

I have an 04 VTX 1300C bought new in 05 and I have maybe 5000+ miles on it Iand haven't driven it much because of these problems.
OK problem 1. Battery I am on my fourth bat. since I bought my bike and I know I shouldn't have to replace them basically every year. I had added some wizard led lights to it but don't think that is the problem. Is there any thing else that could be causing the batteries to go dead? I unhooked the ground bat. cable & used a tester to attach to the lights and the +cable but it's showing it's not drawing power. I have a speed charger and charge it up every now and then but after reattaching the leads it goes dead.
2. Fuel problem- I have been having trouble getting constant fuel to my engine- mine's not fuel injected. it has a hard time getting started, then after it starts and runs for a while I still get the same thing(bogging down when I give it gas, sometimes stalling out) took it in to the dealer where I bought it and they couldn't figure out what the problem was. I have Vance and Hines exhaust w/jet. I checked the air filter and the fuel hose but no problems with them

I know I haven't posted very much and had basically given up on it so
any help is appreciated and sorry the post is so long

Last edited by VTXCruiser1 : 03-09-2010 at 11:57 AM.
VTXCruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

As to the battery - invest in a Battery Tender - they're cheap-enough. Moto batteries are small, and go dead easily when sitting. The quick-chargers just aren't enough, it sometimes needs constant attention. I'm assuming the LED you installed is a charge-monitor device on the bike. If you've got "green" when the bike is running, the problem likely isn't the charging-system.

As to the fueling - some bikes have a small screen in the fuel-line that clogs quite easily - you can't even tell it's there. Usually located in the carb-inlet fitting. A pair of needle-nose pliers will take care of THAT problem, if you have it. Make CERTAIN that you're not pinching or kinking your fuel-line someplace, too.

Another thing that can do cause you fits is a clogged or mis-routed/pinched carb vent-tube. If they can't "breathe", they can't get fuel into them.

Good Luck with both items.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...

Last edited by The_AirHawk : 03-09-2010 at 12:01 PM.
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
pushrod
Founding Member

1. It sounds like you have a voltage leak. You need to figure out what is pulling power (like an incorrect ground). It doesn't take much to pull a battery down if it sits.

2. Your carb needs to be removed and cleaned. Or, you have a blocked fuel circuit; or your tank is not venting properly. Any of those will restrict the fuel to the engine.

The tank vent will not usually cause starting problems, though.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
VTXCruiser1
Registered Member

[quote=The_AirHawk;236480] I'm assuming the LED you installed is a charge-monitor device on the bike. If you've got "green" when the bike is running, the problem likely isn't the charging-system.

yes

As to the fueling - some bikes have a small screen in the fuel-line that clogs quite easily - you can't even tell it's there. Usually located in the carb-inlet fitting. A pair of needle-nose pliers will take care of THAT problem, if you have it. Make CERTAIN that you're not pinching or kinking your fuel-line someplace, too.

so will I have to take the carb apart to get to it w/the pliers

Another thing that can do cause you fits is a clogged or mis-routed/pinched carb vent-tube. If they can't "breathe", they can't get fuel into them. QUOTE]
Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXCruiser1 View Post
so will I have to take the carb apart to get to it w/the pliers
IF it's got one. I don't know for a fact it does, but it almost sounds like you may be in for a disassembly anyway. Just something to look for when cleaning the carb.

Also - the things pushrod noted are items to look for as well.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
VTXCruiser1
Registered Member

thanks to both,
I'll try the things you suggested after I get off work
Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
silentgrayfellow
Founding Member

You guys are too nice! I was waiting for "Impossible! Everybody knows Hondas never have problems!"
silentgrayfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentgrayfellow View Post
You guys are too nice! I was waiting for "Impossible! Everybody knows Hondas never have problems!"

Just like Toyotas!!!