Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Ducati Multistrada Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14637-2010-ducati-multistrada-review.html)

Administrator 03-08-2010 12:39 PM

2010 Ducati Multistrada Review
 

Original Article:
2010 Ducati Multistrada Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Ducati Multistrada Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 03-08-2010 01:27 PM

Nice review, Mr. Duke. I was really hoping to see this bike at Daytona, but Ducati was a no-show. I hope they put enough in dealer's hands so those of us who weren't invited to the Canary Islands (nice...) get to see one.

The S model is just under $20k...think it's worth it versus the base bike? If you added the bags to the base bike, I suspect you'd probably make up 1/2 the difference anyway.

What are you going to do a Multistrada versus X comparo with? Four different bikes?

Kevin_Duke 03-08-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 236412)
Nice review, Mr. Duke. I was really hoping to see this bike at Daytona, but Ducati was a no-show. I hope they put enough in dealer's hands so those of us who weren't invited to the Canary Islands (nice...) get to see one.

The S model is just under $20k...think it's worth it versus the base bike? If you added the bags to the base bike, I suspect you'd probably make up 1/2 the difference anyway.

What are you going to do a Multistrada versus X comparo with? Four different bikes?

The bags are only $850, so the non-S MTS would still have a substantial cost saving. If you want ABS, tho, add in another 15 hun.

I believe there are those within the Ducati clientele who will happily and easily pay the extra $5K for the S - it's a special bike with its Ohlins DES. Those on a tighter budget and with no desire for ABS will get a nice bike with bags for $15,845. Didn't test the standard suspension, but it can't be horrible.

"Four different bikes"! Nice!

Dr_Sprocket 03-08-2010 04:21 PM

It looks like Ducati really did their homework on this one. The only problem I have is with the price. Of course, BMW buyers can also afford the fifteen or twenty large it takes to put one of these in one's shed. It would take some serious finagling on my part with the Mrs. to get one of these.

Buzglyd 03-08-2010 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 236431)
It looks like Ducati really did their homework on this one. The only problem I have is with the price. Of course, BMW buyers can also afford the fifteen or twenty large it takes to put one of these in one's shed. It would take some serious finagling on my part with the Mrs. to get one of these.

Tell her you're gonna buy a Kia Rio instead.

longride 03-08-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 236439)
Tell her you're gonna buy a Kia Rio instead.

Time for Pulley to grow a pair!

Duken4evr 03-08-2010 08:21 PM

What an innovative useful cool bike. It would be perfect for the mountains of Colorado. Lots of graded dirt roads here to explore.

Funny thing is, it is not uncommon to see Harleys exploring those roads here. With their low CG and tractable power, they actually go well on graded washboardy roads that I would not want to ride my bike down. Harley has "Enduro". Who'da thunk it?

jmdonald 03-08-2010 09:14 PM

Great Time To Be Alive
 
This is a great time to be alive with bikes like this in the market place. The Multi seems to have more going for it than most of the other new offerings that's for sure.The S version is pushing all my favourite buttons. BMW and Honda also have some nice new stuff out this year and at this point I can't be sure what I'll end up with. I am overdue for a new bike and the Multi is one of my top three picks.The reviews at this site are a big help. Your analysis is always a nice snapshot of what the bike does or doesn't offer without the tainted moto-journalist factory bias.Of course it could all be part of the Great M.O. illusion.Thanks for the effort.

Dr_Sprocket 03-09-2010 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 236447)
What an innovative useful cool bike. It would be perfect for the mountains of Colorado. Lots of graded dirt roads here to explore.

Funny thing is, it is not uncommon to see Harleys exploring those roads here. With their low CG and tractable power, they actually go well on graded washboardy roads that I would not want to ride my bike down. Harley has "Enduro". Who'da thunk it?

Every year, my brother, his wife and myself head out for a 10-day ride. One of our goals is to get lost -- get off road. We usually end up exploring seasonal or limited use roads. You should've seen the look in the hunter's eyes when we a Uly, a SV1000S, and a Ninja 250 came over the mountain pass. I think most people would be surprised at what their bikes can actually do.

seruzawa 03-09-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_Sprocket (Post 236449)
Every year, my brother, his wife and myself head out for a 10-day ride. One of our goals is to get lost -- get off road. We usually end up exploring seasonal or limited use roads. You should've seen the look in the hunter's eyes when we a Uly, a SV1000S, and a Ninja 250 came over the mountain pass. I think most people would be surprised at what their bikes can actually do.

Those of us who rode for many years before the onslaught of narrow focus bikes did all those things without batting an eye. When I see guys who think they have to have some bike that the manufacturer labeled a "sport tourer" or "adventure tourer" in order to do sport or adventure touring I just chuckle. One of my riding buddies does a lot of dirt road work on his BMW. Funny thing is he had an 1150 GS, decided the CofG was too high and sold it in favor of an R1100R that he modded a bit. He claims it's much better off pavement than the GS because of the much lower CofG. The GS's high ground clearance is moot because almost no one is going to be slanging one around like a 450MXer. I'm sure others can think of similar examples.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 AM.