Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2010 Honda CBR1000RR C-ABS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/14586-2010-honda-cbr1000rr-c-abs-review.html)

Administrator 03-02-2010 09:12 AM

2010 Honda CBR1000RR C-ABS Review

Original Article:
2010 Honda CBR1000RR C-ABS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2010 Honda CBR1000RR C-ABS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Kenneth_Moore 03-02-2010 01:39 PM

Longer throttle cables!!! WOO HOOOOO!!!!

A Star Ride 03-02-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore (Post 236066)
Longer throttle cables!!! WOO HOOOOO!!!!

Is that like an amp with 11 as max volume instead of 10?

Dr_Sprocket 03-02-2010 02:16 PM

Who's zooming who?

The front-on view reminds me of the Ducati 1098/1198, with the cateye styled lamps. Question: who copied who? I never really noticed the difference until today.

Duken4evr 03-07-2010 03:07 PM

Seems to me that Japan, Inc. has painted itself into a bit of a corner with their front line sport bikes. Ducs and Harleys can command big bucks, but as good as the Japanese sport bikes bikes are from a functional standpoint, from a non sensical "societal" and "marketing" standpoint they have a short shelf life. It seems to me that the average consumer is going to choke on the prospect of paying over 10 Gs for a 600 or 13+ for a liter bike when you can buy a used K5 GSXR and the like for a helluva lot less than a new 600. Honda is already (and maybe still is) running a big sale on leftover '08 CBRs for huge amounts - like 3K - off MSRP.

Anyone who pays MSRP to have an effectively unchanged CBR1000 is out of his or her mind. It is buyers market from hell. I love ever increasing tech and all, but at some juncture there has to be an inflection point where financial reality trumps wants. I think we are there, and it is not just with motorcycles.

MOKE1K 03-10-2010 05:57 AM

Although this ABS system is probably impressive, I don't care for it at all. Its just another electronic gizmo that removes the rider talent from the equation. Sure things such as steering dampners, slipper clutches help but they are originally more of a mechanical device not an electronic device. And they sure dont assume the controls when the rider is unable to deal with his/her situation.

Taking the riding out of riding,...

MOKE1K 03-10-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 236351)
Seems to me that Japan, Inc. has painted itself into a bit of a corner with their front line sport bikes. Ducs and Harleys can command big bucks, but as good as the Japanese sport bikes bikes are from a functional standpoint, from a non sensical "societal" and "marketing" standpoint they have a short shelf life. It seems to me that the average consumer is going to choke on the prospect of paying over 10 Gs for a 600 or 13+ for a liter bike when you can buy a used K5 GSXR and the like for a helluva lot less than a new 600. Honda is already (and maybe still is) running a big sale on leftover '08 CBRs for huge amounts - like 3K - off MSRP.

Anyone who pays MSRP to have an effectively unchanged CBR1000 is out of his or her mind. It is buyers market from hell. I love ever increasing tech and all, but at some juncture there has to be an inflection point where financial reality trumps wants. I think we are there, and it is not just with motorcycles.

Sure the market is Jacked right now, but people who "are" buying love the market. And trust me that new bike smell customer, although they have declined are still around and usually another one is born everyday.

These days its all about credit, I cant count how many times the person would have taken a new bike if their credit had allowed them to. For that matter, I cant count how many guys I made more money off when they purchasing a used bike rather than a new one.

Selflife of any bike is measured on how well you maintain it and has little to do with brand or model year changes.

The_AirHawk 03-10-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 236540)
Although this ABS system is probably impressive, I don't care for it at all. Its just another electronic gizmo that removes the rider talent from the equation. Sure things such as steering dampners, slipper clutches help but they are originally more of a mechanical device not an electronic device. And they sure dont assume the controls when the rider is unable to deal with his/her situation.

Taking the riding out of riding,...

Yeah, Man! And what's with these "brakes" and "throttle" thingies? Too much extraneous weight! A Real Man's bike you just ground the secondary-side of the coils to slow down! None of that "throttle modulation" crap!

Board-tracker all the way, Baby!

Duken4evr 03-10-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Shelflife of any bike is measured on how well you maintain it and has little to do with brand or model year changes.
I agree. I tend to keep my bikes 10 years. My TL1000 had 50K miles on it, and my Ninja 750 before that had over 75K. The FZ1 seems very rock solid. At 12K miles it is still my "new bike".

By "shelflife" I was referring more to the perceived coolness factor of the bike more than any mechanical concerns. Of course I have no concerns about perceived coolness at all as I am a self admitted dork :D

seruzawa 03-11-2010 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOKE1K (Post 236543)

Shelflife of any bike is measured on how well you maintain it and has little to do with brand or model year changes.

As far as a particular bike goes that's true. But to the manufacturers these things have to move and quickly. Since their marketing model pushes "new improved" and requires the perception that last year's bike is now inadequate it becomes difficult to sell last year's bikes without steep discounts.

In reality the bikes exceeded the capabilities of 99.999% of the riders over 20 years ago. But it's the manufacturer's own marketing scheme that causes the precipitous depreciation of sportbike value.