Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #11
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

You have to remember though its different when its a race bike, Manufactures strive to develop the bike to stay at the top and that requires them to totally redesign ever couple of years. All in the quest to improve. Thats just R&D.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 03-11-2010 at 06:04 AM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
You have to remember though its different when its a race bike, Manufactures strive to develop the bike to stay at the top and that requires them to totally redesign ever couple of years.
Absolutely. By it's very nature the sportbike becomes obsolescent very quickly. Though we're probably going to see a serious change in the two year redesign cycle. I suspect we'll see a 3 or perhaps 4 year cycle like it used to be. Though the ad copy will pretend otherwise. Easy consumer loans and 2nd mortgages probably aren't coming back any time soon.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #13
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

The good news is that the current state of the art is pretty darn awesome. If they don't come up with any new tech in the next couple (or five) years, it won't bother me one bit.

I still don't understand why one can't custom order a bike from the factory, with a specific seat height, performance curve, etc. (like I can a pc). Maybe that'll change over time.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKE1K View Post
Although this ABS system is probably impressive, I don't care for it at all. Its just another electronic gizmo that removes the rider talent from the equation. Sure things such as steering dampners, slipper clutches help but they are originally more of a mechanical device not an electronic device. And they sure dont assume the controls when the rider is unable to deal with his/her situation.

Taking the riding out of riding,...
Or taking the crashing out of crashing...
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #15
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

ya got to have that ying and yang Kdog.

Last edited by MOKE1K : 03-11-2010 at 01:07 PM.
MOKE1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Or taking the crashing out of crashing...
It would seem so, but I have full confidence in the ability of squids to overcome any obstacle to self-immolation.

Remember: There is no such thing as "Idiot-Proof". There is only "Idiot-Resistant". The ingenuity of idiots knows no bounds.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
It would seem so, but I have full confidence in the ability of squids to overcome any obstacle to self-immolation.

Remember: There is no such thing as "Idiot-Proof". There is only "Idiot-Resistant". The ingenuity of idiots knows no bounds.
Ha! No doubt!
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #18
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I'm sold on ABS myself, for this wet climate it's a godsend. I can see someone getting a little carried away with themselves on one of these then freakin' out and dropping the anchor. An ABS controlled stop may be the difference between skidding into a solid object and just scaring the hell out of yourself.

There's no substitute for self control and practice but in the real world people are going to see what this bike will do, I know I would.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:48 AM   #19
MOKE1K
Registered Member

I have no doubt it will help for the street rider and more. It just takes the learning out of riding. Crashing is a part of learning, it's what makes you better, if you can learn from it by analyzation and ultimately becoming a better rider educated by real world experience.

Knowing how to grab a handful properly in a panic situation track or street teaches you pressure on the lever, how quickly you can pull the lever back and that gives more understanding of how all of the factors react under any givin situation. Weight, Traction, Obsticles etc... Basically with ABS you dont lean any of these techniques- you dont learn what you just did to save yourself. Rant finished!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'm sold on ABS myself, for this wet climate it's a godsend. I can see someone getting a little carried away with themselves on one of these then freakin' out and dropping the anchor. An ABS controlled stop may be the difference between skidding into a solid object and just scaring the hell out of yourself.

There's no substitute for self control and practice but in the real world people are going to see what this bike will do, I know I would.
I've already used the ABS on the Tiger to keep from hitting some fool bytch that shot out of a parking lot in front of me. Works like a charm.

But a system that detects lean angle and shuts down the power to avoid a lowside is an entirely different animal. When is enough enough? Will we end up with motorcyclists who are completely incompetent? How about a gyro that automatically holds the bike up while stopped? And a video system that steers the bike via GPS? Will we sit at home watching TV while our bikes go riding?