Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
clearwaterms
Founding Member

Default help me pick my next motorcycle

I am having trouble deciding what kind of motorcycle to purchase. I will assist with some background information.

I am returning to riding after taking a 2 year break. Prior to taking a break I had logged somewhere between 15k and 20k miles over 5 years. My previous bike was a Suzuki sv650. The group of people that I rode with back when I rode was mostly sportbikers. Since I still plan to ride with that group, I am leaning away from choppers, custom's, and large touring bikes. I would like to buy used and have a budget not to exceed $8,000, but would consider plenty of options for less. My intended use is occasional commuting (approx 25 miles each way in heavy traffic) group rides (weekend trip touring) with the previously mentioned sportbike group (legal speeds, so I don't need a SS bike to keep appearences) and the occasional two up ride with the wife. I won't be riding any fire roads, or dirt roads, so a street bike is probably more appropriate then a dual sport / adventure tourer or enduro.

I have been researching and looking at my $8k budget, I have come up with a few options and am trying to stay VERY open minded about this so please feel free to critisize my current options and offer alternatives.

Option #1 - power cruiser.
Triumph Rocket III
Kawasaki Mean Streak
Yamaha Warrior

Option #2 - naked sport bike / standard
Aprilia Tuono
Suzuki bKing

Option #3 - sport tourer
Honda VFR800
Triumph Sprint ST1050
BMW F800ST

Option #4 - hypersport bike
Suzuki Hayabusa
clearwaterms is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

#1- Mean Streak is a power cruiser in name only.

#2- Add the Bandit1200/1250, Yamaha FZ1 and Kwacker Z1000 to the naked list.

#3 - A friend recently sold his BMW and got the Sprint. Really there is no comparison. There are the FJR13 and Concours-14, etc, but they are heavy touring bikes disguised as sport tourers.

#4 - On a budget there are still Honda Blackbirds out there for a hyperbike. Low miles examples can be found because really few people put many miles on their bikes. Yeah the Hayabusa and ZX14 are faster but not by much and for practical purposes there's not a lot of difference... if the word "practical" even applies to that class.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Cough up an extra $2k and get a new Kawi Z1000. Sportbike performance and handling, in a daily rider format. Plus you get the way cool factory exhaust system.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Moto Guzzi V11 Sport (only if you have a solid dealer nearby)
Triumph Speed Triple-
Bandit 1250/1200
FZ1 Yamaha-
Z1000 Kawasaki-

In that order.........

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
clearwaterms
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
Cough up an extra $2k and get a new Kawi Z1000. Sportbike performance and handling, in a daily rider format. Plus you get the way cool factory exhaust system.
is the new z1000 that much better then the previous gen example? I ask because I don't think I need that much horsepower.

what makes the factory exhaust "way cool?"
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
clearwaterms
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Triumph Speed Triple-
Bandit 1250/1200
FZ1 Yamaha-
Z1000 Kawasaki-

In that order.........
I noticed you didn't list the Ducati Monster in that list, any particular reason why?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
acecycleins
Founding Member

Option #1 doesn't suck, but they are quite heavey. As a former F&I Mgr for a Triumph dealer I can tell you that this bike handles better then ANY cruiser I've ridden and has excellent manners when pushed hard. As for the Kawi and Yamaha they are fun but you'll be left in the dust by your buddies.

Option #2 check the insurance on the Aprilia. Most have the Tuono in a Sportbike slot (not good). but for those that don't expect under $700 annual and as low as the high $300s. The B-King is an excellent alt. Also, keep the Triumph Street III (675) and the Speed III on your list. The R version of the Street is insanely fun.

Option #3 good choices. You'll get bored with the BMW. You'd be better off with a good used R1150RT. Or you can buy my insanely nice 1987 K100RS for the mesely sum of $2800 (Ken said he wouldn't be mad). Look in the FS folder for Flying Brick. Other than that I would say keep the 2 valve Ducati ST on your list and Yamaha's FJR and FZ1 (I like the 1st gen bike better than the 2nd gen) should certainly be considered, too.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
I noticed you didn't list the Ducati Monster in that list, any particular reason why?
Those tiny assed pegs. If you have narrow feet your good. If you're an EE you may need something wider. Other than that the middle 2000s Moster 800s should be a bargin at or under $4800. You'de be happier with the ST, though.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
clearwaterms
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
Option #1 doesn't suck, but they are quite heavey. As a former F&I Mgr for a Triumph dealer I can tell you that this bike handles better then ANY cruiser I've ridden and has excellent manners when pushed hard. As for the Kawi and Yamaha they are fun but you'll be left in the dust by your buddies.

Option #2 check the insurance on the Aprilia. Most have the Tuono in a Sportbike slot (not good). but for those that don't expect under $700 annual and as low as the high $300s. The B-King is an excellent alt. Also, keep the Triumph Street III (675) and the Speed III on your list. The R version of the Street is insanely fun.

Option #3 good choices. You'll get bored with the BMW. You'd be better off with a good used R1150RT. Or you can buy my insanely nice 1987 K100RS for the mesely sum of $2800 (Ken said he wouldn't be mad). Look in the FS folder for Flying Brick. Other than that I would say keep the 2 valve Ducati ST on your list and Yamaha's FJR and FZ1 (I like the 1st gen bike better than the 2nd gen) should certainly be considered, too.
re: Option #1 - I have ridden the rocket III, a yamaha cruiser and a harley and I liked the rocket III quite a bit, once you were moving, I found it to be light on its feet and I was dragging hard parts on the demo ride (which considering it wasnt my bike, made me smile)

Option #2 - I will check insurnace on the Tuono because that will dictate budget a little, depending on how much I have to set aside to insure the bike

Option #3 - I am not quite in a buying position just yet so I have not bothered to check the For sale section of the website just yet. As for the R1150RT and the FJR. I was told these bikes are not ideal commuters because of the extra heft? I really like the FJR, having sat on several examples, the ergo's are comfortable, the hard bags and the styling, it is a bike that I like alot. The BMW K and R series bikes are interesting as well, but the nearest BMW motorcycle dealership is realtively far away, and the nearest Yamaha dealership is pretty close and very nice people to deal with.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:20 PM   #10
Dr_Sprocket
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Triumph Speed Triple-
Bandit 1250/1200
FZ1 Yamaha-
Z1000 Kawasaki-

In that order.........
It's funny how most people forget the Bandit, despite being a quite capable bike (especially now with ABS). Good pick, as is the Moto Guzzi!